Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    Banned

Re: no more attributes

Back in D2C (which I, like Akse, consider the real Diablo 2) I liked to put around 100 or so VIT on my Barbs and just enough DEX for the weapon and then mash everything into STR.

This way I would get crazy damage and to me, that was way more fun and efficient than having a 110 STR Lancer... (-40% req Ornate Plate)...

Same would go for the few Amazons I made. Just pump the DEX to insane levels and watch that 20% IAS 130 damage Gothic Bow feel like a 200 damage one...

Yes, I played HC.

BattleTag Drakk-1562

Quote Originally Posted by HRP View Post
    This is good. Outside of a small group of dedicated players, most D2 players used the old, tired stat allocation of enough str. and dex. for items, and the rest in vitality. I have no problems with stats being automatically assigned, and have faith in Blizzard that this gameplay change will not hinder character build customization in the least.

It sounds like we're going to have a lot of skills at our disposal for every class in Diablo 3, and with the addition of skill runes it looks like we're going to have a lot of leeway in terms of creating play styles that will satisfy everyone.
    Agree with you 100%
    Seems like every change Bliz shows to the public, that will inevitably improve the game (for reasons that may not be entirely divulged at the time), there is a group of people who seem to know for sure that it will ruin the game... even though they don't know nearly enough information about the game to make that statement. Plus, every time I see a post saying "Oh they F'd up, now I won't buy D3" ...I shake my head.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AniMe View Post
    Back in D2C (which I, like Akse, consider the real Diablo 2) I liked to put around 100 or so VIT on my Barbs and just enough DEX for the weapon and then mash everything into STR.

This way I would get crazy damage and to me, that was way more fun and efficient than having a 110 STR Lancer... (-40% req Ornate Plate)...

Same would go for the few Amazons I made. Just pump the DEX to insane levels and watch that 20% IAS 130 damage Gothic Bow feel like a 200 damage one...

Yes, I played HC.
    Yeah well everything kinda depended on what kind of luck you got with items. If you had 330 lance 110 str was fine and you still felt so overpowered With ama 150 bow and you could do around 100vit rest dex build. Well anyways the earlier days of D2 were about surviving those lags and timeouts Barb with high life was good for that, many also made sword barbs to have shield for extra protection. (back then sword 2h damage wasn't much higher than 1h)

Well anyways, there was 2 paths, high damage low life, average damage high life or something like that. I'm quite sure that can easily be modified by gear choices or gem/enchantment choices.

Quote Originally Posted by gutemba View Post
    and i really think auto stats can be better
    No.
    Auto stats = Tried and true D2 skill allocation.
    User stats = Tried and true D2 skill allocation + any variation you can come up with.

this is a seriously bad idea imo. it seems to me a move like this is made to make the devs job easier when it comes to balance. i hate that we are gonna miss out on alot of possible builds now because of this.

as others have said it remains to be seen how it will work in the end but as of now i hate it, i like picking where i want the points. i understand that most builds were built the same anyway but it took time to get to that point, alot of experimenting took place before everyone did the same damn thing, now we all get to be the same(save a few skill points) from day 1

IncGamers Member

Excuse me for my iGNorAncE but I can't see the pros of this action except for making the desingers life a bit easier.
    Since I can't get my self to read the 14 pages of this thread, can someone please point it out to me?

Quote Originally Posted by Drakk View Post
    Agree with you 100%
    Seems like every change Bliz shows to the public, that will inevitably improve the game (for reasons that may not be entirely divulged at the time), there is a group of people who seem to know for sure that it will ruin the game... even though they don't know nearly enough information about the game to make that statement. Plus, every time I see a post saying "Oh they F'd up, now I won't buy D3" ...I shake my head.

what makes you so sure that these changes will "inevitably improve the game" ? so far i have seen alot of changes i like, and only 1 major one i do not and you are right about i do not have enough info to make a statement about how i think this idea is a very bad one, then again you do not have the info to say its a good one

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Laz View Post
    - You want to make a melee necro? Poison dagger will do 99% of your damage. Put just enough into str and/or dex to wear items, all remaining points into vit.
    Two possibilities - either a poison stacked poison mancer, or decrepify based melee. Either with minions (skeles or whatnot) or revives/golem only.

Use two handed weapon, then attributes for stuff, rest for vita or shield/weapon dex for block, rest vita (unless, of course, you did not want a block-lock, then all to vita).

There is a question of merc tho - with defiance merc it is worthwile to pump str to 200+ for that extra heavy armors. Titan melee- necros are fun when used with stacked slow items, might merc and well fed clay golem and maxed bone armor sub-tree for that extra protection.

Of course - there is cheap "passion" RW with +zeal, allowing to conjure AR, thus allow more power based necro.

Ther are a few ways to build melee necro, all requireing different stat allocation (dex-block, full-str or classic)

- Bow necro? You have no skills to support you. Max str or not, your necro will be useless. Reroll.
    As a person who got several bow/crossbow/throwing weapon based necros through hell I call it bull****.

You either go for max dex, minimum rest, for something inbetween or for classic stuff/vita allocation scheme.

Buut - necros can also be hybrid dagger/throwing necros, thus they require balanced dex/str build to get maximum possible damage output, this allows wearing heavy armors and max block, thus not calling for vitality _at all_.

Just because energy is a broken stat, does not mean that the complete system is to be scrapped.

Besides - since most players build cookie cutters, lets force _all_ players to build cookie cutters? That is a retarded decision.

IncGamers Member

I was initially very turned off from this announcement. However, if they truly are making this game more gear oriented then the stat change may not matter.

For instance, they could make cloth gear that gave str/dex boosts and some 'magic' armor boost. These items could allow a spellcaster to exploit certain skills in his tree that might be more melee oriented. The same could be done for the melee classes if they give them a somewhat magic based skill tree.

This would allow for just as much customization as D2, but without the need for placing stat points just to use items intended for another class.

IncGamers Member FracturedFairy's Avatar

I will wait and make my judgement after I have had time to play the game but I did like how I could differentiate my chars by using attribute points.