Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Re: no more attributes

See? You thought we were taking customization AWAY, we're actually ADDING it! Wheras before, you had to tediously add those stat points up to wear any item in the game, now, we let you have certain item combinations that let you use any other item that we designed to work with the first item! Cool huh? We're also going to group these items together into "tiers" so that they're easy to keep track of!

Seriously. If the only way to wear certain items is to wear other certain items, thats the OPPOSITE of customization. It's limiting the items to certain combinations which have been preordained; which is fine, as long as they pull off the synergy. Maybe items mean less. Maybe it all works, who knows? I for one am skeptical.

IncGamers Member

Any item that would be good for your class will have stat requirements that you can meet. Yes this may mean that wizards can't wear heavy *** armor or use large two handed weapons or something to that effect. But that's the way its meant to be. That's the reason for classes in the first place. If you want to play one class like another one, then just play the other.

IncGamers Member

I don't know if this is true, but i read on a German Page that you can only invest 1 skill point in each Skill. Is this true?

I am very disapointed about that "Character creation", i think it is the totally wrong way!

D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator Mad Mantis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Telzen View Post
    Yes this may mean that wizards can't wear heavy *** armor or use large two handed weapons or something to that effect. But that's the way its meant to be.
    This is the heart of the matter. This is exactly what people are arguing against. People don't want to be restricted to a certain role. Not everyone wants to play a Fireball Sorc. If I want to melee it up with a Sorc in D2 I can. Playing a Barb will not give me the same gameplay as a Melee Sorc. They are cutting this option out.

I'm really glad that they introduced a new skill system and added the runes. This should allow for more customization in the skills and a lot of possible builds. But why does this have to come at the cost of attribute customization? Instead of making it a much more rewarding path to make a unique character they just cut it out. Give attributes the same treatment as skills.

As for making up deficiencies with items, just think about a hypothetical situation. I'm playing as an Archer WD, focusing on using the attack panflute. My character is coming up against the Siege Breaker. They have "balanced" the game to make Barbs able to melee the SB and the ranger-class to defeat it with arrows. Now if I want to defeat it with my panflute using WD I have to hope that I'll be able to find items that give my WD the stats of a ranger. Because only rangers should be able to attack with ranged attacks. That is not increasing my play options, it is limiting them.

Quote Originally Posted by Calidor View Post
    I don't know if this is true, but i read on a German Page that you can only invest 1 skill point in each Skill. Is this true?

I am very disapointed about that "Character creation", i think it is the totally wrong way!
    Some skills can only have 1 point other can have up to 20 points. It varies.

@Robobaby: Great post.

Banned

How incredibly stupid can Blizzard be... Now we have one of the worst WoW-aspects here in D3...

Byebye variety, hello linear game-play...

This was one of the fundamental parts of D1 and D2 for me...

No D3 for me.

IncGamers Member

Assigning attribute points was one of the most tedious things about D2 for me so I'm kinda glad they took it out. I hated accidently putting 10-20 points more in dex or whatever than you had to and feeling like you had to restart your entire character.

I can understand why people don't like the idea, though. I wasn't one to make melee sorcs etc. but I know some people enjoyed the challenge.

IncGamers Member

THIS IS A GREAT THING.

In D2, you had one 'good' way to spend your points and a lot of 'noob' ways.

You can still make a battlemage, you just need more +strength items. It worked in D1, which didn't have automatic stat points but it did have hard caps on stats. The sorcerer could have no more than about 50 base strength. Yet if you collected enough +strength items, you could wear full plate.

So the battlemage build requires a wee bit more thinking and effort, but in exchange they got rid of the HORRIBLE HORRIBLE system where better items made your points in strength, dexterity and energy useless so you had to reroll.

Good move Blizzard -- getting rid of an outdated system that only served to ruin newbie characters without adding much if any value to expert players.

Banned

without adding much if any value to expert players.
    BS... It added tons and tons of fun and replay value for me... Without this awesome customization system the game would not have lasted even a year for me...

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Telzen View Post
    But that's the way its meant to be. That's the reason for classes in the first place. If you want to play one class like another one, then just play the other.
    no that's not how it is, that is NOT diablo, not even diablo 1 had those restrictions