Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 294
  1. #41
    D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator Mad Mantis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    In a cave
    Posts
    11,011

    Re: no more attributes

    Quote Originally Posted by konfeta View Post
    Because there could be items with +stats? Quests that gives +assignable stats? Elixirs? Etc.?
    They could leave those out as well. Should make for even easier balancing of everything.

    For this concept to work there need to be items at every level that any character can equip that give enough boosts to make it worthwhile. It is the only way you can artificially work around the imposed penalties. I don't like the restrictions.


    Quote Originally Posted by imjustsomeguy View Post
    I don't really care either way but if the removal of player stat allocation makes for better balance and an overall better gameplay experience (could effect monster design as well) then so be it.
    If superior balance is the holy grail, then why do they allow any form of choice? Just give fixed avatars.

    What kind of balancing could be so important and impossible to do without fixing the stat progression?


    Quote Originally Posted by imjustsomeguy View Post
    I can't say I like the idea of Wizards wearing the same armor as barbs anyways.
    Why not? If someone wants to spend the points in enough strength to wear it why not let them.




  2. #42
    IncGamers Site Pal Bad Ash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,598

    Re: no more attributes

    so you dont like finding a cool piece of gear and then leveling up to use it? Lol, thats what Diablo is. Now its going to be like this: Find the cool piece of gear. oh. I can never use it. sweet.

    Whoever said it is right, I can not judge how people had fun with the game doing what they enjoy, but from my own experiences the stats are and were a huge part of what made the game enjoyable because yes i enjoyed finding that item and getting my char to using it by tweaking what needed to be tweaked.




  3. #43
    IncGamers Member visom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    california
    Posts
    545

    Re: no more attributes

    At first I don't mind some of the huge changes for D2, but this is stepping over the line now. Once I buy D3 it might not even feel like one of the Diablo series.



  4. #44
    IncGamers Site Pal Bad Ash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,598

    Re: no more attributes

    So picture this: You are lvl 98 or 99 on your wizard. It wasn by no means easy to get there and it shouldnt be. You are mfing one day and find the best item in the game. but oh wait, you cant use it, you need a lvl 98 barb. no thank you.

    I like my wizards strong, while having a hard time blocking, with a lot of life and little mana




  5. #45
    IncGamers Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NY, NY, USA
    Posts
    66

    Re: no more attributes

    To be fair we don't know much about stats/items yet. But I would argue that almost regardless of what we learn, the game could only be improved by increased player choice. It doesn't hurt anyone to allow sub optimal builds. Cookie cutters can still do their thing, and people who want quirky characters can do their thing.



  6. #46
    IncGamers Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    8,873

    Re: no more attributes

    Quote Originally Posted by konfeta View Post
    They are shutting doors that have been proven to be a nightmare to balance, and are adding ones that are easier to maintain. Now, I would rather that they figured out a way to fix the doors, but given the choice I understand the developers' concern.

    Besides, until we see what other doors have been open, we don't know how "limited" our characters are.




    Str for equip.
    Dex for equip.
    Energy base if you are twinked, or points until you find mana leach.
    Rest in vit.

    I am honestly not seeing how stats were "huge." Never felt that way, probably never will (in terms of Diablo 2).
    add in secondary mods for the stats

    strength: add some defensive bonuses like damage absorption
    dex: increased chance to hit with spells, increased chance of critical strike with both spells and attacks
    vitality: add some other defensive bonuses like increased life regen
    energy: increased spell damage (like in titan quest), increased mana regen, reduced mana cost of spells

    just because the stats were lopsided in diablo 2 doesn't mean you trash the whole system




  7. #47
    IncGamers Member visom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    california
    Posts
    545

    Re: no more attributes

    I'm 99% positive that D3 will have class specific items, D2 has them.

    What's the point of a class specific item? Well it's powerful, it's made your your character, and the requirements are easy for the character it's made for, so don't you go tell me that you're extremely pissed because you found a giant maul of destruction but you can't equip it to your sorc. You'll always have that cool staff for your sorc that requires hardly any points to use.



  8. #48
    IncGamers Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    9

    Re: no more attributes

    Quote Originally Posted by voraginous View Post
    QFT. It still may turn out to be an awesome game, but from what we know now, this is idiotic.

    Because you're wrong. Blizzard removed, not changed, but removed one aspect of how we can do customization. We can't customize our base stats anymore. The game does it for us automatically. That's called removal, not change.

    Also: can you explain to me what problem removing base stat customization fixes? because I still don't get it..
    I'm not sure this IS truth.

    Let's look at how D2 worked: you added points in stats to what end? Really, you only add enough str or dex to wear certain items. It had nothing to do with class or build. The rest you put into VIT or MANA if you needed a mana boost. But, primarily VIT.

    In the new build you have no choice over stats. It's based upon your class. So, the difference now is that you will itemize to alter your stats rather than alter your stats in order to itemize. Essentially the exact same thing. They haven't removed stat customization, they've simply moved the customization into the itemization step. And, now you can have different sets based upon how you want your character to work.

    I'm thinking a Barb with a 2h Hammer that adds +50 STR can also have an axe/shield combo that adds +100 VIT instead. Offense vs. defense. It actually ends up being more customizable.




  9. #49
    IncGamers Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    8,873

    Re: no more attributes

    Quote Originally Posted by visom View Post
    I'm 99% positive that D3 will have class specific items, D2 has them.

    What's the point of a class specific item? Well it's powerful, it's made your your character, and the requirements are easy for the character it's made for, so don't you go tell me that you're extremely pissed because you found a giant maul of destruction but you can't equip it to your sorc. You'll always have that cool staff for your sorc that requires hardly any points to use.
    i can't equip heavy melee weapons/armor on my wizard --> i can't make variant/non cookie-cutter builds on my wizard --> my replayability decreases --> i quit the game sooner

    i see absolutely no upside to LESS replayability

    do you really want a caster class that will ALWAYS have to play like a caster, do you really want that ? that kind of mentality is NOT what made diablo 2 famous




  10. #50
    IncGamers Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    264

    Re: no more attributes

    Quote Originally Posted by visom View Post
    I'm 99% positive that D3 will have class specific items, D2 has them.

    What's the point of a class specific item? Well it's powerful, it's made your your character, and the requirements are easy for the character it's made for, so don't you go tell me that you're extremely pissed because you found a giant maul of destruction but you can't equip it to your sorc. You'll always have that cool staff for your sorc that requires hardly any points to use.

    The number of item types that were class restricted was very low in D2, just because you didn't play a melee sorc or a barb/druid/pala with a bow or some other crazy combo like that does not mean nobody has. Removing the choice completely from the game is beyond retarded.



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •