Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast
    BattleTag Elly-1983

no more attributes

Flux here:
    Just got out of an interview with Jay Wilson, and he surprised us with one thing. Attribute points are not player-assignable in D3. They're not in the blizzcon build, but we thought that was just to simplify things for new players at the show. Jay says no, that's how it is in the game now. His explanation was that it makes items even more important, and that it lets the designers plan a bit better (they can assume players will have at least X in each stat by a given level). You still get attributes, and they will still be required for equipment use (edit: the underlined part is wrong: there are no attribute reqs for equipment in d3, just clvl and some class-specific), but they are automatically assigned each level up. Thus every Wizard will have the same base str/vit/dex/etc as every other Wizard of the same level. Same for the Barb and WD.

I predicted that this would result in a great outcry, most of it not happy. You guys are free to prove me right or wrong.

We'll have more from the interview shortly, and will post video of it later today.

Elly - Admin,
    Diablo: IncGamers on Twitter on You Tube on Facebook
    DiabloNut.Com (Diablo 3 database) - Blue Post Tracker - Diablo3Ladders.Com

New to Diablo 3? Read this great primer.

Your beliefs don't make you a better person, you behaviour does.

BattleTag Matora-6323

Re: no more attributes

All happy here. It prevents a lot of problems cropping up but how many more it will create...

So no more:

Str for items
    Dex for items
    No energy
    Rest in Vita

Sounds fine to me. D2 gets to the point were you basically just put 95% of your points into Vita anyways on 95% of builds, so I don't really care either way.

IncGamers Member

this change was beyond stupid

instead of giving worthwhile secondary bonuses to stats such as spell damage for intelligence/energy (look at titan quest) they just remove stat customization entirely

so essentially now

1) Diablo 3 is more like WoW gameplay

2) Diablo 3 is even more item focused than diablo 2

3) Non-caster builds for casters/summoners won't exist because your str/dex/vit/life/whatever will be crap

you want to have a melee witch doctor or wizard ? not going to happen now

of all the things they could have removed or simplified in diablo 3 this was the last thing that came to mind, honestly in all my years of playing i never heard from anyone that all characters of a class should have the same stats

an ARPG is about customization and with that move right there Jay took away a huge amount of customization

IncGamers Member

Doesn't sound good to me as it limits the possible number of builds significantly. For example you can't have glass cannon max damage Wizard with maxed willpower or Static Charge (ES) one with high mana. You also won't be able to make a decent melee one, even though there are skills that would fit nicely, because of str/dex limitations. Oh.. and no more noobs with maxed str/mana around

I think this is the step into simplifying the game so everybody wins. With the current skill system it's really hard to screw up, and without attributes, it'll just make any build work.

Ah mah gawd. This is one big retarded move. Who in the dev team do I have to poison to remedy this? This is a very crap move... very crap...

Works for me, at least I dont have to worry about putting 20+ straight lvls into str so I can use the armor I want and end up with no life because of it. This would out and out FORCE them to keep stat requirements reasonable for the gear we use. I didn't mind the old way, but one less thing to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by SU_Shadow View Post
    Works for me, at least I dont have to worry about putting 20+ straight lvls into str so I can use the armor I want and end up with no life because of it. This would out and out FORCE them to keep stat requirements reasonable for the gear we use. I didn't mind the old way, but one less thing to worry about.
    It completely simplifies the gameplay. It is not THAT surprising when you watch the gaming scene as games are more and more simple, generally but I expected a bit more here. The possible builds you can create are now less. Perhaps. Maybe with the new skilltree this will be evened out?

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by AgentMarth View Post
    So no more:

Str for items
    Dex for items
    No energy
    Rest in Vita

Sounds fine to me. D2 gets to the point were you basically just put 95% of your points into Vita anyways on 95% of builds, so I don't really care either way.
    this is exactly what i think, so i like the idea.

This is the first thing I have been truely dissapointed in. Not the art controversy, not the Witch Doctor, but this. This is a classic example of the Devs telling us how to play and not letting us choose our fun. You all like it? Well enjoy having items your char might now never be able to use. The Barb is clearly going to have more strength than the Wizard and Witch Doctor, so enjoy finding those "plate armors" and only being able to use your cloth wizard potter hat.

It was fun as heck to try a melee sorc, or to jack up my strength on ALL of my sorc to use Spirit shield...now Blizzard is going to force me to not choose how I make my chars. Stupid. I am dissapointed

I understand this isnt "diablo 2.5" but this is seriously a very large change and a big part of what Diablo is about