Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Will we fight gods?

Quote Originally Posted by Frostraven View Post
    Pure good: No cursing, no criticism allowed, no unprovoked violence, no eating of animals, no sex outside/before marrige, no divorces, no alcohol or drugs or mind altering substances, no selfishness or self indulgence allowed, no selling of items for profit, everyone works for the same payment, everyone has to share with those who have little. It's communism.
    There would be zero tolerance for these actions; death penalty.
    To the absolute good, everything not absolutely good is definately evil.

I always liked the idea of light beeing too good for humans.
    Face it.
    Humans aren't good, we're neutral.
    Most humans can't live with the same person in marrige without growing unhappy through the years.
    Most humans lie, get addicted to something (coffee, sugar, chocolate, alcohol, coca cola, pepsi max etc.), commit unprovoked acts of violence at some point, sells things for profit whenever they can, are self indulgent, think's he should get more paid than the next man, doesn't care about the pain and suffering of his food, can but won't do anything about the suffering of others in the world because it doesn't make *him* happy to have less, and so on and so on.

Just read the old testament for silly laws the forces of good would try to pull down over our heads.
    Death penalty for cursing your parents, death penalty for having sex outside marrige, death penalty for *** sex.

We love our sinners, and love to sin -- to an extent.
    Which is why we don't side with the demons, either.
    I would really appreciate it if you could remember that Diablo is set in a completely fictional universe and is not based on any Worldly religious belief or history. Because frankly, I would not have played it if that were the case.

I think you are completely entitled to your own opinion and beliefs but please keep them out of the Diii.net forums if they are going to infringe on and belittle the beliefs of others, be they what they may. I am a serious Christian and to be honest I am a little insulted by your post. But like I said earlier these forums are neither the place nor time to begin a religious discussion. I am more than willing to respond or debate around the statements that you made, so if you want to send me a PM I am more than willing to reply...

Go well...

I agree with Frostraven's and ZSiegFried's opinions. This is purely opinionated by all for all have that choice. (Lol, Diablo stuff being Sanctuary has choice of Heavn or Hells side). What Frostraven said is indeed facts in the United States. For instance, in 2004 divorce rates were 56.2%. People are more involved in the temperature of their StarBucks mocha as opposed to the 382 homless people who died(natural=starvation/froze/sickness) in SLC, UT 2006. The world around us is falling in standards and is being held high in ugly criterias for absence in giving two s***s. People please go to the nearest food bank or shelter and spend 40 minutes in one week and realize how much you've helped someone by giving your donated time. My kudos and respect to the two of you for expressing solid opinions.
    But, so this post won't get deleted. In terms to relevation, The Angels look at Sanctuary as abominations. The inhabitants are a mixture of Angel/Demon, both good/bad. They're opposing the "High Heavens/Burning Hells" natural order.... thus is what makes us so special. The main reason I enjoy the story of Diablo is because right isn't right, and wrong isn't wrong.... What these characters go through and experience are variants in conflicts where lies and truthes are sorted out through your own knowledge and not what you're told. Another great thing about this is that we won't know what's going to happen in the future of the game because almost every character I can think of runs on complete emotion. Imperius has this overwhelming sense of being right.... Cain has an undying service to find redemption through his lack of name in the Horadirum.... The opposing forces continue to fight in the Great Conflict because of their existence is solely based upon control and opposing the opposite.... What's life without death? What meaning would that hold? What's cold without the recognition of hot? How can you tell the difference?

I enjoy Diablo lore, fantasy literature and mythological text because they give you insight into the human psyche. Myths were used to explain natural phenomenon etc. to pre-scientific cultures to a major extent. In overwhelming fantasy literature and indeed Diablo, the point of the novel/game is prevailing over evil. This for me is a metaphorical battle over the evil that each of us fight throughout our lives. That is why we enjoy killing demons in a game because it serves as a proxy for issues in our own lives...

What makes Diablo stand out from the mediocrity of most good vs. evil plots for me is that good and evil isn't black and white much like real life where things are more gray and where too much of a good thing is also bad.

Good and evil is blurred and majorly influenced from your perspective on the matter. To make it game specific: Fighting with Tyrael against the brothers who want to do bad things to the people of Santuary = good. Fighting against Imperius who wants to kill innocent people = good. Examples that seem contradictory in form but not so in substance.

I think that overall it’s just better to see the game as Order vs. Chaos. Like SoulSpectrum said the one wouldn’t be able to exist without the other but at the same time out of the definition of what they are, their purpose is to destroy the other. The philosophical question is then; if the one succeeds would he really still exist? Would destroying the one not actually destroy both?

And I finish up with one of my favourite quotes, tying up with SoulSpectrum’s hot cold example: “Without the bitter, the sweet just ain’t so sweet...” (I think it’s out of Vanilla Sky but I might be wrong.)

That's my two cents worth, feel free to disagree...

IncGamers Member

We got Trang Oul of corse...Who or what is he? Does other like him excist and have similar powers.

Trang Oul is supposed to be the enormous dragon on whose back the world of sanctuary lies, IIRC.

Trang Oul does exist... There are others like him aswell... But other than that, not much light has been shed on the picture. His being, specifically Trang Oul's, is a direct link with the creation and being of Sanctuary. He came into existence When Sanctuary did. He is the light and darkness in one. He feels the hatred and happiness of all. He is simply all being of every knowledgeable aspect within existence. When you're all knowing and being, omnipotent, what side do you choose? Neither.... He's the balance, the turkey/ham/tuna in the middle of a sandwich. Yummy....... The only deciding factor in his choice his connection to Sanctuary and its inhabitants. Without them, he simply would not be.
    I wanna see an army of Necros. the more and more I think about it, this is the key role of balance needed to be spoken upon through time! Balance.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by SoulSpectrum View Post
    Trang Oul does exist... There are others like him aswell... But other than that, not much light has been shed on the picture. His being, specifically Trang Oul's, is a direct link with the creation and being of Sanctuary. He came into existence When Sanctuary did. He is the light and darkness in one. He feels the hatred and happiness of all. He is simply all being of every knowledgeable aspect within existence. When you're all knowing and being, omnipotent, what side do you choose? Neither.... He's the balance, the turkey/ham/tuna in the middle of a sandwich. Yummy....... The only deciding factor in his choice his connection to Sanctuary and its inhabitants. Without them, he simply would not be.
    I wanna see an army of Necros. the more and more I think about it, this is the key role of balance needed to be spoken upon through time! Balance.

Sounds Godlike enough to me...in an almost Hindu way perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwalker View Post
    Sounds Godlike enough to me...in an almost Hindu way perhaps.
    True true, just like how Diablo is the "Lord of Terror". It's just that the games don't give him/it the justice he deserves, poor Diablo.... The books do better with that. They pretty much describe him when a mortal looks upon him an overwhelming sense of terror covers and completes their entire soul in horror....

which is why i have always felt a moral factor should come in to affect, much like DnD...laugh if u will i must satisfy my imagination and Diablo aint enugh. but seriously as characters we are only human seeing these demons for the first time, hell seeing andy in person would make almost anyone cower in fear.

Exactly! That's why it's fun to read these books to get a good depth into each character and setting.... I can't wait to see the new game's later acts! One Blizzcast had Wilson comment on how the acts are going to get darker/unholy/unimaginable, and they won't lighten up... Can't wait!