Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    IncGamers Member

Re: Famine Berserker Axe any good

Famine is awful.
    Most PI's you should be easily able to kill with 1 point sanctuary aura ( undeads )
    If not, you have 1 point vengeance.

IncGamers Member

Well, my problem isn't PIs, since I'll be using Vengeance as my main attack. Grief doesn't add to Vengeance damage, so it's not a good alternative. Famine seems like a good option because it has good %ED and adds some good elemental damage that, combined with Conviction, is even better. On the other hand, there is BotD, that has more %ED, can be made on ethereal weapons and has some great mods, but is more expensive. Which would you choose?

No indestructible mod is a biggy. Oath's ED in an eth base is equivalent to 315-510 ED in one that isn't, which (considering the price) puts Famine's max of 370 to shame. Assuming level 26 Vengeance and 50 points in synergies Famine's elemental damage is equivalent to about 60% ED in a War Spike, so (while decent) it doesn't quite make up the difference. Famine's ITD is also little use to an Avenger, while Oath's additional 20% IAS might give you some freedom in choosing equipment elsewhere (like Mara's instead of Highlord's, Strings instead of Nosferatu's). So Oath ;D

IncGamers Member

Don't let these people talk you out of famine. It is a great weapon for several builds. You can blow thru the game as a conviction zealot with it. As an avenger weapon it is also very cool. It allows you to save some points in vengeance and boost the synergies cutting down on the mana cost. Of course it is slower then a phase blade but it does have 30 ias and doesn't do that pathetic physical damage of a phase. Speed is good but it isn't the end all some would insist. And come on gimmer comparison, when you factor in the magic damage of famine and higher physical not even close. I have also used it on a BFury sin with gores and duress and it was a rainbow salad shooter. With a little creativity and ignoring the cookies and kool-aid too many are stuck on you can enjoy it on lot's of toons just passing it around. Melee sorc you bet, it's not just a weapon for PI's. The Azure comparison there isn't because you can use the famine zerker 20 lvl's lower. I would wager most of the people saying don't do it haven't actually played with it just read its stats and assumed something else was better. Try it you'll like it I know I did and still do.

First round is on me!

D!

IncGamers Member

I cannot read everything that Danc133 wrote, but I do agree that Famine is a good weapon. I never tried it on a paladin and wouldn't bother using Famine for an Avenger because for Vengeance, %ED is king. A conviction zealot though, is another story (I'd need tons of IAS from my other equipment). I used Famine on a werewolf druid. I don't believe that lacking the sheer power of something like ethereal Breath of the Dying means a weapon is bad. Famine packs enough of a punch to be a viable primary weapon on most melee characters. It's not the fastest killer, but it's not agonizingly slow either. And it has the bonus of letting you laugh at immunities. All immunities.

IncGamers Member

Famine is good but its to expensive for me if you want a good weapon to deal with PI try a voice of reason or rift both good pally runewords.

Hmm if you want too be able to deal easily with PI why not use Death as your primary weapon. With one point in vengeance and 20 in Resist Lightning. That way you will also achieve a 90% LR if you are wearing Fortitude. Should deal easilly with most PI. Especially ones that are not immune to lightning

IncGamers Member

Famine as an anti-PI weapon is a bit silly and paladins (in my experience) never seem to have immunity problems anyway (Vengeance takes care of immunities for physical damage paladins and smite takes care of immunities for elemental damage dealers and casters). The nice thing about Famine is that it can effectively add a miniature Vengeance and magic damage both on top of a weapon that already has decent damage, ITD, and life leech.

Famine's base ED is decent (a bit less than Death's, for example). And it's adding something like 590 prismatic damage, most of which is elemental. That's the sort of thing I'd rather enhance with Conviction as a primary weapon (like Rift, but sadly not as fun) than use as a backup weapon against physical immunities.