Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Less Obvious D1 Positives

the dificulty in multiplayer its really challenging, when you fail and die you loose gold, drop all your equip on the ground(separately!), and back to town with 1 hp and 0 mana , to get your things back you have to go back there and face the danger again, depending on the situation can be virtually impossible recover your body by yourself...

and my favorite

The durability loss!

its insane on nightmare and hell... and if the item breakes, disappear forever!

I suppose that's a matter of perspective; I suppose the first point requires some skill, and can be challenging, especially with a warrior, but the durability loss is often irritating, plus it doesn't really test skill, but how carefully and how often you check your durability and repair your items.

Quote Originally Posted by AntAnkh View Post
    I suppose that's a matter of perspective; I suppose the first point requires some skill, and can be challenging, especially with a warrior, but the durability loss is often irritating, plus it doesn't really test skill, but how carefully and how often you check your durability and repair your items.
    everything you say may be right

but the real positive factor in my point of view its punishment, whitch is particularly severe in D1

that's what i meant, durability loss can be irritating sometimes, but is a fitting punishment, add some reality

no equip would takes thousands of hits from those demons and continue fine like in D2...

If you're trying to say that Diablo 1 is more realistic than Diablo 2, then yes, I agree with you, although, since Diablo is a fantasy game, I've never really thought too much about its realism.

i never said that... i mention D2 because in some aspects its soft compared to the original Diablo, in D2 sometimes you pass through half game without repair anything, and if you die and quit, when you restart your body its there waiting for you... hehe too easy

reinforcing my point, the difficulty in Diablo its a great thing! Realistic or not doesn't really matter, everything else it's just a bonus.

Diablo 2 has difficult aspects too, namely Hardcore difficulty. Making certain characters can also provide a great challenge. IMO, there's more variety of possible challenge in Diablo 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanthanide View Post
    I don't think you can really find a cursed FPM, because cursed items only drop up till about dlvl 7, and I don't think you can find FPM there, even in Hell games.
    I just found an FPM in the Church today when I was farming for cursed items so its possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanthanide View Post
    Shrines that made permament alterations to items or characters in D2 would have been wildly overpowered, unless they were capped at some very small number somehow.
    Brother Laz achieved this in Median XL(Stat and Skill Signets with a cap). I don't see why Blizzard couldn't have done that or better.

Quote Originally Posted by Quanton View Post
    no equip would takes thousands of hits from those demons and continue fine like in D2...
    Unless you consider a Smiter.. but then you have to also consider the fact that hitting with his shield depletes his weapons durability lol. Makes sense right? Not really a big deal though I guess. I love Smiters.

IncGamers Member

Idea Re: Less Obvious D1 Positives

Oh and that druids can summon vines that can tunnel through any material; so much immersion.

OT from the quote, but why is everyone comparing D1 to D2 like the developers intended D2 to BE Diablo? Of course they share a title, but D2 was by far a more social game than Diablo (probably because technology allowed for a better B.net experience), don't get me wrong, I LOVE me some Diablo from time to time, but it gets old when you realize you're sitting in your basement with a five-o-clock shadow fighting demons by yourself (God knows Diablo multiplayer is destroyed, why do people even run PK bots on that game anymore?), the last time I actually found a game online, I was instantly killed in town twice, and then crashed.
    And I do happen to love me some D2, but lately, as I've already quit, it's just been too much, it really just fell to **** since LOD came out, specifically the past three years, rampant modding and player-bots really did ruin the atmosphere, and let's not forget the spam-bots, still selling pixels on a decade plus game (and it still sells like hotcakes so you can hear some sorc talk about his struggle to find a legit item store). D3, I'm still iffy on, it's not a baddddd game, it's just not what I had hoped for after all those weekend mornings daydreaming about what it would be like while waiting for the bot to teleport to baal (with his bought gear, of course).

IncGamers Member

I`m big fan of D1
    I really like the "easy" concept with great background behind - from class/item/combat point of view
    I made some points during reading this topic, so here they are:

gold taking space - player needs to think about item or gold in the inventory
    shrines - permanent shrines were great, random useless
    bookshelves - I really like running church/cats on chars just to find the books/shrines/HoS
    no rares - higher impact on blue items (prefix and suffix is more important)
    dark gothic style
    all levels linked to only one small town
    random maps - I like really all 4 areas (church/cats/cavs/hell) - I hated D2/D3 act2 and all the yellow sand everywhere. Same for D2 A3 - really stupid