Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Re: The Elemental Templar Guide - V1.01

Concerning PVP what would you suggest as the ideal equipment? I know you've left a lot of choices for us but lets say we were infinitely rich what would you suggest?

I would assume its attack rating would also be a problem, unless elemental damage dealt does not concern attack rating? (not sure about this)

IncGamers Member

is this built very mana intensive? because i looks like it 25 mana per hit.

IncGamers Member Ed from Russia's Avatar

I just want to mention Doom as a great weapon for this build. It doesn't only give you cold dmg and CB, but it gives you a Holy Freeze aura that will be strengthened by Conviction. And +2 to skills will be nice when casting FoH.

candystar

A bit late I know in replying. My own PvP testing via LAN suggests that the ele templar is very powerful against other players. level 25 conviction with any elemental damage is very hard for other players to defend against.
    So the aim would be to protect the paladin without sacrificing too much elemental damage such as swapping the dragon scale for a storm shield.

Most players would stack the lightning resistances against an Templar, which would negate the weak FoH from this build but it still forces them to take measures against it and you never know, they may be counting against level 17-20 or so conviction and not level 25. Even so, I'd be inclined to stack fire & cold damage such as that from dragon scale and Azurewrath. So you'd want PDR on the body, belt and helm such as CoA/vamp, shaft stop, verdungo's or ber'ed shaftstop in your preffered combination. Then pack the back pack with frw/life/mana charms, CtA on the weapon switch and adjust the set up from there.
    I've been unable to play on line lately as my broadband connection has been down for the past 3 weeks so I haven't been able to test mine against my fellow single players via LAN.

Behling

It is when your using FoH. One reason why I mentioned the redemption aura or insight polearm on the merc to help with the energy supply. In PvM I can cast 4-5 FoH at a time before a quick flash of redemption for a refill before swapping back again. As I mentioned before there is nothing wrong with running another aura while using FoH which could be redemption or prayer as conviction only effects the FoH lightning damage. If your shredding rooms full of undead, switch on prayer/redemption and you can pretty much FoH continuously.

Ed from Russia

Funny, I thought that I had added Doom in the guide rewrite. Must have slipped my mind. Oh well, you have mentioned it now! Your right, Doom would be a good weapon, it's just that I don't have one to test with this character.

IncGamers Member

What is the viability of Famine for this build? I currently run an Azurewrath, looking to get a Rift, but the elemental damage on Famine seems OK.

IncGamers Member

Any advice on how to do this with cheap/common gear?

Also, I keep seeing that Tiamat's Rebuke has the drawback of low blocking, but won't Holy Shield add directly to the blocking chance?

I play single player only and I dont trade through the forum so my gear is limited. I basically have only the items you can get from running Hell Meph (I have a Bliz Sorc for running him) plus a few other higher level things here and there from normal play through Hell, but not many.

To give you an idea how poor I am, I dont even have the Um to make Duress (I assume Duress can be made in Single Player?). I will have to move my CL/FO Sorceress over to Hell Andariel and run her a few thousand times to get one. At least I think she can drop it.

So is this build viable for characters without good gear?

The gear I *do* have:

Rockstopper (hey I'm desperate for resists)
    Guardian Angel or Duriel's Shell (resists again)
    Smoke Runeword on an Archon Plate
    Lightsabre
    Tiamat's Rebuke
    Hellmouth
    Ravenfrost Ring
    Tearhaunch (resists again) or Infernostride

I have a variety of belts but I was just thinking about going with Wilhelm's pride for the leech.

I do have Demon Limb and Hand of Zakarum and etc for off-hand considerations.

So, any "on the super pathetically cheap" advice here?

Thanks,

Lewis

IncGamers Member Ed from Russia's Avatar

I just made a PvM Templar based on this guide, and absolutely loved it. It's the first time I used FOH since 1.09 I think, and the first time I felt it actually worked. I went with the Dreamer / Auradin theme, and will give a short description:

EQUIPMENT

Weapon : Doom
    An easy choice IMO; the Holy Freeze aura is amplified by Conviction, and the ctc Volcano is a really nice feature. It's also just a very good Zealot weapon, AND it offers +2 to all skills to boost FOH. I also considered Heaven's Light here and some other scepters but the additional aura was irresistible.

Helm : Dream
    Shield : Dream (in 43@res pala shield)
    Again a logical choice. This makes your 1-pt Zeal deal a mix of cold, lightning and physical damage (and Crushing Blow).

Armor : Chains of Honor
    I chose this for the +2 to skills and because it provides safety. I didn't go for Enigma because I didn't have a setup with a lot of FCR and because my 2 enigmas are used by other characters ATM.

Belt : Arachnid's Mesh
    COH has life leech and I didnt think I needed the DR and Vitality from Verdungos, so I went with an extra skill point for FOH

Gloves : Frost Burns
    For the extra mana; I didn't need IAS if I used Highlords to reach 5 fps. I guess with the Insight on my merc this item became redundant but I simply didn't think about changing it. Crafted gloves with 20% IAS and 10% CB would have been nice, and I could have changed Highlords to Seraph's

Boots : Gore Riders
    CB and OW were the main arguments

Rings : Raven and SOJ
    SOJ for the mana, I didn't need the leech from BK

Amulet : Highlords
    To make me reach the 5 fps breakpoint

SKILL SETUP
    20 FOH
    20 Holy Shock
    12 Conviction (this gave me 25 soft points after which further investment is not necessary
    1 Zeal
    lots of prereqs
    rest in Holy Bolt

I felt that after you max FOH and Holy Shock, and you have invested enough in Conviction, you have 3 options how to proceed:
    - Holy Bolt for damage to undead (but not of any use for demons and normal monsters)
    - Resist Lightning to boost Dream aura damage
    - Holy Shield for safety.

Since my HS was already lvl 18 and I was mainly curious about FOH I chose to invest in Holy Bolt. However, for general gameplay I think Lightning Resist is superior.

This is also because IMO Zeal is still a stronger skill than FOH. FOH is simply too slow to take care of a group of non-undead monsters that approaches you. FOH excels with undead and single monsters (it took 5 casts to take out Andariel) but if you want speed and safety you will use Zeal more often.

I used a Prayer merc with Insight, which also added to my safety a lot.

So thanks for this guide, which I recommend to anyone. However, can someone please unsticky the draft version because the finished version is also stickied?

Last edited by Ed from Russia; 19-10-2008 at 06:16.

Is it ok to make rift in a divine scepter? Because I recently found a +3 FoH +1 Vengeance +1 Salvation 4 socket Divine Scepter but I am worried of the low physical damage if I make a Rift in it.

Hello, Asmo!

Thanks for the EleTemplar guide. I've just now finished the game but instead of "following" the guide in the way most have done, I did it exactly as written. No Dream, no Rift, no "I followed your guide except I did this instead of that and I used a Sorcy instead of a Pally, yadda yadda yadda..."

It was great fun and I've enjoyed playing a Pally again. It might have been a little easier had I been able to find a Dragon Scale shield in my stashes but alas that's a hole in my grail, I fear. Managed to get by with a Tiamat's Rebuke socketed with a rare jewel providing lightning res, cold damage, and 12% damage taken to mana.

Other than that, it was a Duress in Archon Plate, Tal's Horrid Crest, String of Ears, Azurewrath socketed with a rare jewel giving a small amount of fire damage and 97 points of lightning damage, Drac's mitts, Mara's, a perfect Ravenfrost, BK's ring, and Sandstorm boots. Hand of Blessed Light and HoZ on switch for those Holy Fist reach out and touch someone bolts (slvl 34? 35?). Four skillers in inventory along with a boatload of sweet elemental damage charms I've found over the years with some res mixed in. 75 percent resists all across the board. Yes, that's important.

I used an Act II HF merc outfitted with a Shael'd Reaper's Toll, Um'd Gaze, and Fortitude in Archon Plate...I just had to find a use for that Lo sitting there in my rune stash. The Fortitude was a significant improvement over the Stone in a Great Hauberk. IM was pretty much the only thing that took him down.

Started the game in Normal on players 8 and made it all the way through Hell Act I to the Monastery before having to scale the players setting back. It wasn't so much anything killed my EleTemplar, it just took him a long time to wade through the mobs. He does very well in Teh Pit on players 8, tho, for the XP but not much else as he carries no MF.

Once again you've come through with a great build, mate! I think this makes four or five of yours I've campaigned since back in the SPTN.

Looking forward to the next.

Existent

Bit late in replying I know, but the lower physical damage of a divine will make quite a difference to your mana and life leeching. Your physical damage will be very low as you only have strength, weapon damage and might merc aura (if your using one) to bolster your physical damage.

A four socket elite sceptre such as a Cadacaus shouldn't be too hard to obtain. Failing that, trading for a Rift weapon already mad shouldn't be too hard on the realms.

o1d_dude

Didn't realise you posted here as well as a pat thread.
    The main reason I like dragon scale so much on this build is because it's the only pally build I can think off that can utilize it so well. Tiamats rebuke is just as effective, lower shield blocking chance is it's only drawback which the higher resistances pretty much make up for. I used tiamats untill I could equip dragon scale.
    On my setup, the on body gear provided mostly fire and cold resists, apart from the light damage from thundergods and highlords so my back pack contained mostly lightning damage charms which offer the highest per square elemental damage of any charms. Overall the average damage of each element was fairly equal.

Once again you've come through with a great build, mate! I think this makes four or five of yours I've campaigned since back in the SPTN.

Looking forward to the next.
    Crumbs. Your counting?