Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

View Poll Results: Would you be interested in Voice Chat for MP games, and which system would you prefer

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Teamspeak

3 37.50%
  • Ventrilo

6 75.00%
  • 10 slots (max 10 people connected at one time)

2 25.00%
  • 20 slots (max 20 people ditto)

1 12.50%
  • 30 slots (max 30 ditto)

1 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Voice chat for MP games.

Would people be interested in Teamspeak or Ventrilo voice chat for MP games?

It's been suggested that it could prove useful for the HC weekends, and I have done a minor amount of research.

If there is a decent amount of interest, I am prepared to rent a server for a 3 month trial to see how it works out.

You can pick multiple answers:

Please choose the Voice chat system and the number of slots you think would be good and comment below.

Re: Voice chat for MP games.

I've played with both of them, and the soundquality was in general much better on ventrillo.
    But if that also means higher pricecard, teamspeak is just fine, and especially if it's only for the weekend.
    But definitely interested in voice chat

Cheers

it would be nice in general and lead to greater camaraderie among the SPF. currently during MP games I sometimes feel that to type something takes too long and I don't bother, also out of fear of dying. Forgetting people's characters after 15 minutes and not remembering who you're playing with isn't too great either. Having used Ventrillo for WoW I have a bunch of people that I know by voice only and it made communicating in and out of game easier and much more interesting.

make sure if you do go with Vent that it is a mac-compatible codec.

grumpyskeeper and i always talk while we play via yahoo messenger. it does make for a more enjoyable time than having to type everything.

i have dl'd ventrillo a while ago when i noticed a few folk using it but i never actually used it myself.

you have to pay to make a server on ventrillo then? if so why not use yahoo instead? its free and i've never noticed any lag issues with it and diablo running.

also, if you want to try it out you could host vent on your own machine when you play. might slow down the internet a bit but would give you a chance to see how it works out.

does anyone know if you can run ventrillo natively on linux? i know teamspeak is an option

Where's the "No, I wouldn't not be interested in voice chat for MP games" option?

moo: WINE? I know you said natively, but I really don't see the difference if it works.

Cwicseolfor: There's no "No" option as no is irrelevant for the purposes of the poll. I only want to gauge who is interested.

moo-cow: Yes I can host it on my machine BUT my pc is not on 24/7. Additionally, Virgin cable are infamous for their "Traffic Management" and I often see my upload limited to 15kbs between 4pm and midnight.

If there is going to be a server up, it would be nice if it were on all the time as there are SPFers in all time zones (except mid-Atlantic atm).

dune6836: Sorry, I don't want Yahoo.

I am actually able to provide any platform voice server for free to the SPF/MP community. If there's actually a desire for it, I can have it set up in a few moments, and it won't cost anything.

My FPS group that I belong to (http://75thr.us) has a dedicated server for our game servers (AA, COD4, BF2, and ArmA) and the voice servers take very little resources, so it is totally doable for no further cost

Drixx's HC Sept Progress

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Matter View Post
    Cwicseolfor: There's no "No" option as no is irrelevant for the purposes of the poll. I only want to gauge who is interested.
    Haha I realise that, but from a statistical PoV, you're unknowingly skewing your results because people who would normally vote "I don't want voice chat" will instead vote for another option (people don't like not voting), even though their opinion is kind of irrelevent in such a scenario.

Similarly, it's wise to put in an option "I don't know" for the same reason. Contrariwise, when you want to force somebody to have an opinion on something, you can polarise things by giving a binary choice with no 'grey' options - but this is only useful if you think that people are educated on the issue, but simply reticent to commit to a side.

*cough*

Quote Originally Posted by Cwicseolfor View Post
    Haha I realise that, but from a statistical PoV, you're unknowingly skewing your results because people who would normally vote "I don't want voice chat" will instead vote for another option (people don't like not voting), even though their opinion is kind of irrelevent in such a scenario.

Similarly, it's wise to put in an option "I don't know" for the same reason. Contrariwise, when you want to force somebody to have an opinion on something, you can polarise things by giving a binary choice with no 'grey' options - but this is only useful if you think that people are educated on the issue, but simply reticent to commit to a side.

*cough*
    But it doesn't seem like the OP was really interested in hearing from folks who don't want to use one. He's merely seeing if there's enough interest to warrant the cost of one. Since I can provide one at no cost, ANY interest appears to be enough interest, assuming the OP and the SPF community are fine with me providing it.

Drixx's HC Sept Progress