DiabloWiki Updates
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Re: Diablo 1 bugs

Golem boxing for the win!

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lanthanide View Post
    Post any interesting bugs you know of here (I'm not really expecting many, to be honest).

My favorite one is how to play NM or Hell in Single player, because normally you can only play Normal difficulty. Due to the way SP works however, when you start a brand new game you'll have to start in the church and go all the way up, so it's kind of tedious if you're level 20+ already wading back through the church.

Go to start a multiplayer game, and choose a local IPX game. You'll need a clvl 20 or 30 character to start a NM or Hell game. Start the game and then quit it. Go straight to the single player option, choose your character and start a new game and it'll be the same difficulty as the multiplayer game you just started and exited.

The most interesting thing here is that you can do this with a clvl 1 character and start playing directly in NM or Hell mode. I've only tried this with playing Hell, but it's fun to only have to kill 1-2 monsters to level up - typically you will get to clvl 9 by the end of dlvl 2. However this is only really practicable with the Sorcerer because his spells hit 95% of the time and do enough damage to kill monsters quickly, whereas the rogue and warrior have To Hit scores which are abysmal against the Hell-difficulty monsters (yes, even Hell difficulty Fallen - trying a NM game might be more successful here). If you play this way you need to be very cautious because the monsters will do enough damage to kill you in 1 or 2 hits.
    I've recently started playing Diablo 1 again and never knew that it was possible to raise the difficulty is SP ... is there a quick way to confirm tht the single-player game created this way is actually at NM or Hell difficulty? For example, is there a resistance penalty to the single-palyer as in Diablo 2?

Thanks!

IncGamers Member

u could check the exp u get when u kill a monster.

if you're like around clvl 20, the fallens in dlvl 1, won't give exp if it's norm (duh).

if they do, than it is indeed nm.

IncGamers Member

Thanks, I should have thought of that!

Quote Originally Posted by Kunzaito View Post
    I have always been irked by a strange Battle.net bug. It happens mostly with the random health and mana potions you find littering the ground in the dungeons (not dropped by monsters, the ones that are just placed there) but it can also happen to the "treasure room items," the magic (and occasionally unique!) items that are pre-placed in enclosed rooms with gold and enemies (mainly in the Caves). Sometimes you will click the potion item, and nothing happens. Then you wait a few seconds, and... poof. Item is gone. Mildly irksome when it's a potion, enraging when it's a magic full-plate mail! Especially since you have to sit there and watch it happen, knowing what's coming once the item doesn't pick up, but powerless to stop it...
    I've never seen that, but I did have something else that was quite odd. I doubt it's a bug though, but it's very rare, I'm sure.
    I was playing on Battle.net with some random peeps in the Catacombs and I seperated myself from the group. I opened a room and a complete set of equipment was on the floor (weapon, shield, armor, helm, amulet and two rings). I asked whether anyone had lost his equipment, but no one said he/she did. I don't remember whether these items were already ID'd or not.
    I have only two logical explainations: either the game does indeed sometimes generate an entire equipment set, or someone dropped his load in there, because of lack of inventory space. But why would anyone ever drop an amulet and two rings?

Another 'bug' (not really, just a shortcoming of the system) is that only a limited amount of sprites can be on the screen. This makes Chain Lightning actually a better spell at a lower level sometimes.

Also, when hitting something with a Fireball directly, the blast radius damage is also applied. Whether this is intentional or not is debatable, though.
    Fireballs have no blast radius when it has passed lava.

There was also something going on with the faster hitting mods. I think there was no difference with 'Faster Attack' and 'Fastest Attack'. Not sure though.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arkardo View Post
    I opened a room and a complete set of equipment was on the floor (weapon, shield, armor, helm, amulet and two rings). I asked whether anyone had lost his equipment, but no one said he/she did. I don't remember whether these items were already ID'd or not.
    The most likely explanation for an entire set of character equipment is that someone was playing and was killed by a monster, so everything they were wearing was dropped. If no one said they'd dropped anything, it would have been a player in the game who'd left. The most likely scenario is that they got hit by a lag spike and killed by monsters, then dropped their connection. If, however, the items weren't identified, then someone is playing a prank on you.

There was also something going on with the faster hitting mods. I think there was no difference with 'Faster Attack' and 'Fastest Attack'. Not sure though.
    There are 3 levels of affix speed modifiers, fast, faster and fastest, but faster is exactly the same as fastest. So there end up being 3 speeds for attacking: regular, fast and faster/fastest.

This means that a kings sword of speed is just as good as a kings sword of haste, which is nice because it doubles your chances of getting one

Quote Originally Posted by Arkardo View Post
    someone dropped his load in there
    That's nasty... but can anyone confirm the game generating entire sets of equipment?

Quote Originally Posted by helvete View Post
    That's nasty
    Pwned...

Quote Originally Posted by helvete View Post
    ... but can anyone confirm the game generating entire sets of equipment?
    Now that I think of it, I think all items I found were junk, which would make the possibility of it being generated more likely.

On a side note, I've also found a unique item on the floor once, in the dungeon levels. It was a sword, The Defender I think.

Items that have their durability raised to over 255 become indestructable. Might be a bug, might be a feature...

The biggest "bug" is that Blizzard have not enabled NM and Hell in SP in the first place.I would really like to know if there is a patch to fix this without installing hellfire , which is as hard to find as chickens teeth.

IncGamers Member

I found a skeleton that revived it self once, originally i killed it with a barrel explosion. after i came back from selling some junk, it was there all happy to try to kill me . Also if you cast telekinesis just before diablo dies, then you can pick up whatever he drops