SPF D2 Rules & FAQ Summer 2008
Welcome. This is where Bnet is banished and single player (SP) swings. Have a good read, lurk a little before posting to get a feel for us and enjoy yourself.
All Threads which are highlighted are Stickied threads which can be found at the top of the (bracketed) sub forum.
If you don't do anything else, please read this first post. It contains the most important information about posting on diii.net and the Single Player (Trade) Forum(s).
This is NOT your average internet forum. If you want to flame, troll, cheat or have a potty-mouth, go somewhere else. Our MP Games are games with friends and not PKing opportunities. Our PvP maybe by BM rules but are never ill-mannered.
Sometimes we do poke fun, but we do it with love and humour, as you would with your friends. Please learn who the people behind the avatars are by reading and lurking. We can be distrustful of strangers. Welcome to the SPF by sequana may help you fit in a little easier. It is not a replacement for reading the rules and lurking. Join us by all means but respect this community as it is.
10 Commandments of diii.net
The ten commandments of diii.net are paramount to good conduct here: read them, know them and obey them. Please respect their spirit as well as their words.
- Thou Shalt Not Flame or Troll - Mods have fire extinguishers (ban sticks). Report posts using the "!" button
- Thou Shalt Not Spam or Engage in Posting Wars - 1337 post counts aren't funny
- Thou Shalt Not Advertise - this isn't Ebay
- Thou Shalt Not Post Naughty Links, Graven Images or File Downloads - PG13 rating here and the word filter is there for a reason, don't by-pass it and don't over-use it
- Thou Shalt Not Pimp or aid the Pimping of hacks or Cheats - do what you want on your own computer but don't encourage others
- Thou Shalt Not Engage in Unnatural Bumping - use the edit and multi-quote functions
- Thou Shalt Not Spoof - don't pretend to be someone else or make a second account
- Thou Shalt Not Get Territorial - your stuff is now ours
- Thou Shalt Accept the Mods & Admin's Decisions - we are looking to protect the Community
- Thou Shalt Not Mention "Freedom of Speech" - you may (politely) disagree (PM is usually best), but see #9
Read the commandments and don't be an asshat or we'll ban your butt. Simple really.
Stompawompa's Guide to Lost/Broken Play disks - If it's not in here, we aren't able to help you.
Don't forget that if you have your CD key but have lost your disks you can log on to the Blizzard website and download D2.
Info on Editors, Trainers, Duping, Drop Mods and CD Key downloads
All the information you need is in this post.
Game Modifications, Muling and Versions
The multiple instance .dll, RRM, RWM, CRM, ATMA, GoMule, Median, Eastern Sun and Hell Unleashed are accepted with restrictions in the Single Player (Trade) Forum. Only ATMA and GoMule are acceptable elsewhere on diii.net.
These are the *only* mods and utilities allowed to come into contact with the items/characters/stashes to be traded/MP'd here and you may ask for help with those in the Mods, Muling, Utilities, Variants Help Thread (SPF). Trading items with these are accepted providing the Single Player Trade Rules (SPTF)are followed.
Mod development is not supported here and you may find what you need at the Phrozen Keep. Do not link to files unless they have been approved.
Special note about the modified .dll that allows multiple copies of D2 to be run This is allowed in the SP(T)F. It is NOT allowed in the rest of diii.net. If you mention it there, you risk a sanction. Blizzard have banned people who have left the modified .dll active while using Bnet. A vanilla shortcut is NOT enough, you need to replace the .dll if you go on Bnet.
This is a Community and we like to get to you know you. We accept there are different personalities and that is part of the charm of the SPF. However, it is very hard to accept that one persons dry wit is their natural personality rather than them being rude, so before you post, please take a moment to ensure you know the person before responding.
Respect others and their views
The SPF has a pretty mature readership. If you're new to diii.net or the SPF this might be a surprise to you. If you do see a probelmatic post please report it using the report post button on each post. Don't get into a war with the poster in public. We will deal with them.
We don't care about them. Do not post a "+1" or a "whooo 1337 posts"; that is spam and you devalue every other great post you've made. Some of the best posters here have really low post counts.
Off-Topic posts (OT)
Put OT: in the title and generally no more than five on the front page. Further OT'ing goes on in the Off Topic Forum.
Text size and fonts
Change fonts or sizes to make a post easier to read (usually in guides) is fine. Random use of bizarre sizes isn't required. Neither is ascii art. Ever.
Please use the gallery or Imageshack. Do not embed images into posts in the SP(T)F.
Larger Avatars, Animated Avatars and Signatures
These are Pal perks. See the PayPal donate icon on your screen; full details inside there. Do not manually add signatures to your posts.
Is not allowed. There are giveaway threads in the SPTF.
Please at least read the SPF FAQ and Rules before posting. The Community Forum FAQ too is very good source of information. The diii.net search function has .. issues, so use Thyiad's Funky Search tips from this post.
Special note about derogatory terms - Monster spawns, items etc do not have sexual preferences, not even if you mis-spell it. It might be a "rubbish" item or "lame". If you get beaten by something then say so. You don't get "raped" you get "owned" or "killed".
Other Useful Links and Information
The PM boxes of your friendly SPF Mods. If you're really stuck or are unsure if something is allowed, PM both Mods and wait for a response. Full contact details are in a later post in this thread.
The Community Forum FAQ by Dredd. This is an amazing piece of work. Absolutely worthy of your attention.
Diablo II on Blizzard - the Official website
The Arreat Summit - The Official resource
D2 Terms and Abbreviations
SPF Rules and FAQ Index
Single Player Specifics
Game-related SP information. If you've come from Bnet, this is for you.
- Should I do this in SP
- Can I do this in SP
- Multiplaying in SP
- Trading in SP
SPF Showcase Part I - The Community
Newcomers really need to read this section. It's absolutely essential to get a feel for the SPF.
- People & Sayings
- SP Oddities
- Familiar Faces
SPF Showcase Part II - The Game
Game-related SPF specifics. Including Tourneys!
- Build Guides
Why play 1.07? Here's the who what how why why.
- How to play multiple versions
- Where to get previous patches
- Why you would play multiple versions
General game related guides covering the usual questions.
- Magic Finding
- Rune Finding
- Item Generation (rolling, cubing, inbuing, crafting, staff mods and more)
Some very useful links here. Check the full post, if you're looking for something, the odds are it is here.
- Arreat Summit
- Diabloii.net Wiki
- Calculators (pets, blocking, weapon speeds and item upgrades and more!)
- Armour and Curse appearances
- Sockets List
- Much much more!
- Contact Details for Mods
- Ban Appeals
Accepted Gameplay Rules
It is essential that you understand this before MP/trading.
- Open Bnet
- Third party programs
- Editors, Trainers, Drop Mods, Map "enhancements"
- Game mods (rune word mod, red rune mod, colour rune mod)
- Muling and Reporting Utilities (ATMA, GoMule, Flavie, Trenshaws Version
- D2 variants (Median, Eastern Sun, Hell Unleashed)
- Hardcore/Softcore Transfer
- Stripping gear from dead HC characters
- Ingame commands (/playersx, /nopickup, /fps)
- Command line commands (-w, -ns, -seed, -act5)
- Bugged Items
- Ubers & DClone Mods in Single Player
Info on Editors, Trainers, Duping, Drop Mods and CD Key downloads
- Open Bnet
- Drop Mods
- CD Keys/game files
- Posting edited characters/items