1) I hope it stays 2D. Or, if it's 3D, that the camera position stays fixed. (Tho maybe a bigger field of vision)
2) I hope that the gameplay evolves in it's own direction, not just turning into another D&D-like game.
3) I hope we retain the 7 character classes we have now, same skills, same synergies.
4) I hope we have entirely new character classes, and that new and old characters would be able to diversify into subclasses upon reaching clvl ~45.
Each subclass would open up one new skill tab, perhaps change the appearance, perhaps give a unique subclass bonus.
5) I hope runes have more complicated workings in socketed items. Meaning, instead of just having one bonus, they would have a whole bunch which depend on many factors. Maybe, for example, runes could give...
-One bonus based on the item type they are in (wep, armor, shield, helm, gloves, boots, belt)
-A bonus which changes depending on their position in the item (1st socket, 2nd, 3rd, etc., last)
-A bonus which depends on the rune immediately before it.
-A bonus which depends on the rune immediately after it.
This way, after much experimentation, people could essentially making their own customizable runewords. The number of combinations of possible runes is 33^(#sockets), so it would be near impossible to find the best one...except that one could experiment and figure out what each rune does in each case. Imo, that would be downright FUN.:grin:
6) Similarly, I hope alchemy is made more versatile, instead of simple, straight cubing recipes. Maybe there might be a difficult-to-find NPC who would help you with more complex process. Perhaps items in the game which do nothing, but can be used as alchemy ingredients to (weight the results of other recipes? Open up new recipes? Have different effects depending on order/position in cube/something else?).
7) I hope the monsters are smarter. Well, some of them. Smart gloams might be too much. xD
8) I hope the world evolves as you go through it. I hope you'd find NPC's outside of town. Maybe a hermit in the middle of the jungle who would sell you vitality boosters, energy boosters, eaglehorn, or...jk jk, nvm. But yeah, perhaps specific areas of the game which, when you clear them out, stay cleared out and take on a new function.
9) I hope there are events involved it quests. Perhaps the siege on Harrogath quest should be more like a siege, with forces advancing and you have to actually work together with your team (or the barbarian NPC warriors to hold them back). Maybe time limits somewhere. Maybe outposts in the wilderness that you have to defend against an army that moves against one, regroups, and picks another. Monsters that just wait for you to kill them do get kinda old sometimes.
10) I hope your character eventually gets a sanctuary. Accessible only by waypoint, and you only give your trusted friends access to it. A place with a bigger stash, more extensive alchemy facilities, and who knows what else? We could probably all think of something.
...I also hope that characters can get married. Don't ask me why. Maybe I need a life. Hm...
anyways, I'm not really expecting any of this, just hoping for it. This is what, in my opinion, an ideal DIII would contian. Feel free to share your own hopes, should you feel inclined. What would your ideal DIII have/be like?