Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Re: The Noodle Compound

Quote Originally Posted by LozHinge the Unhinged View Post
    Hmm, Pratchett.
    As far as I can recall, you just need to read the first DiscWorld novel. That way, you have effectively read the next four in the series ... at which point I said "Enough is enough" and gave up.
    'fraid not. The first novels are so different from his more recent novels.....the earlier novels are far more chaotic, more relating to fantasy and sci fi novels and have a good deal of science in 'm.
    The later novels are far more towards a parody on society and things we find in our world today. They're sharp, witty, but I do miss the madder bits of the older novels.

IncGamers Member LozHinge the Unhinged's Avatar
    BattleTag FTITCTAJ

I will always be indebted to Pratchett for one thing. In one of the books, he had a character say something to the effect that, "I don't know how to stop spelling misrepresentation". I may not have that exactly right (or even close), but it was the idea that I found deliciously funny.
    The rest of his work was (and remains) not to my taste. (Makes me feel like a rebel somehow, not liking Pratchett )

I will always be indebted to Pratchett for one thing. In one of the books, he had a character say something to the effect that, "I don't know how to stop spelling misrepresentation". I may not have that exactly right (or even close), but it was the idea that I found deliciously funny.
    The rest of his work was (and remains) not to my taste. (Makes me feel like a rebel somehow, not liking Pratchett )
    Sounds like Nanny Ogg to me, probably in Witches Abroad.

And a surprising number of people do not like Pratchett. I do. I think his humour is intelligent, sharp and witty, and it makes me laugh and it makes me smarter. But I don't think it's for everyone, tastes differ. No one will call it bad I suppose, it's too good for that, but not everyone has to like it.

Sad thing is though he's working on his euthanasia.

Hmm, Pratchett.
    As far as I can recall, you just need to read the first DiscWorld novel. That way, you have effectively read the next four in the series ... at which point I said "Enough is enough" and gave up.
    That's far from what my co-worker described it as. She's a big fan though. Besides I'm a guy who loved more or less all the Diablo books, so my standards as far as fantasy goes isn't that high. IE I love fantasy. >_>

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi View Post
    They're always good, some better than others, some average but always good. I read 'm in order which I think is to be prefered - a friend of mine didn't and it didn't ruin his life either.
    Yea I plan on reading them in order. I was told there are a few references here and there which is easier to understand if you read them in order. But by no means a must.

The later novels are far more towards a parody on society and things we find in our world today. They're sharp, witty, but I do miss the madder bits of the older novels.
    Ahh yes she described several of those. I was actually laughing quite a bit at a few of them, so it sounds as though these books might be right up my alley.

Unofficial Incgamers Clan - The Red One

Quote Originally Posted by kestegs View Post
    so is Bieber pointless or just women in general?

Quote Originally Posted by korialstraz View Post
    That's far from what my co-worker described it as. She's a big fan though. Besides I'm a guy who loved more or less all the Diablo books, so my standards as far as fantasy goes isn't that high. IE I love fantasy. >_>

Yea I plan on reading them in order. I was told there are a few references here and there which is easier to understand if you read them in order. But by no means a must.

Ahh yes she described several of those. I was actually laughing quite a bit at a few of them, so it sounds as though these books might be right up my alley.
    They're incredibly good, just different. You'll enjoy the Guards books then, which take on politics and such. Or The Truth, about how newspapers came to be.

BattleTag kestegs-1550
    'fraid not. The first novels are so different from his more recent novels.....the earlier novels are far more chaotic, more relating to fantasy and sci fi novels and have a good deal of science in 'm.
    I think I'll take my chances and skip them but I don't read much of anything tbh.

I think I'll take my chances and skip them but I don't read much of anything tbh.
    Neither do I and that's embarrassing giving my job.

Start with Guards! Guards!
    It's a good book to start with.

If you like Shakespeare I recommand starting with Wyrd Sisters though.

Got to love a quote like this though:

"Baths is unhygienic," Granny declared. "You know I've never agreed with baths. Sittin' around in your own dirt like that."

-- Taking personal hygiene to new limits (Terry Pratchett, Witches Abroad)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BattleTag kestegs-1550
    Baths are a bit overrated, even showers are questionable.

Baths are a bit overrated, even showers are questionable.
    A lot seems to be overrated in your world.

BattleTag kestegs-1550
    Your right, maybe I'm just in a pessimistic mood today