Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Re: Sara's Rift-a-Sin PVM

One small advantage a VoR has is that it can be made in a Phase Blade.

IncGamers Member

I'd like to see the actual differences between the two runewords. We have:

Code:
    4 Socket Polearms/Scepters Runeword
    Hel + Ko + Lem + Gul
    20% Chance To Cast Level 16 Tornado On Striking
    16% Chance To Cast Level 21 Frozen Orb On Attack
    20% Bonus To Attack Rating
    Adds 160-250 Magic Damage
    Adds 60-180 Fire Damage
    +5-10 To All Stats (varies)
    +10 To Dexterity
    38% Damage Taken Goes To Mana
    75% Extra Gold From Monsters
    Level 15 Iron Maiden (40 Charges)
    Requirements -20%
    Code:
    Voice of Reason 	
    4 Socket Swords/Maces 	Lem + Ko + El + Eld 	
    15% Chance To Cast Level 13 Frozen Orb On Striking
    18% Chance To Cast Level 20 Ice Blast On Striking
    +50 To Attack Rating
    +220-350% Damage To Demons
    +355-375% Damage To Undead (varies)
    +50 To Attack Rating Against Undead
    Adds 100-220 Cold Damage
    -24% To Enemy Cold Resistance
    +10 To Dexterity
    Cannot Be Frozen
    75% Extra Gold From Monsters
    +1 To Light Radius
    So I have a few questions.
    1. How much damage will you get from a level 13 frozen orb with -42% to -44% cold damage to enemies, and the extra 30% boost from Nightwings and facets? If the merc is alive and has infinity, how much damage will we then deal?
    2. How much damage will you get from a level 20 iceblast with -42% to -44% cold damage to enemies, and the extra 30% boost from Nightwings and facets? If the merc is alive and has infinity, how much damage will we then deal?
    3. How much damage will you get from a 100-220 damage kick with -42% to -44% cold damage to enemies, and the extra 30% boost from Nightwings and facets? If the merc is alive and has infinity, how much damage will we then deal?
    4. How much damage does a level 16 tornado deal out?

IncGamers Member

I don't think Tornado and Ice Blast do much at all.

The thing I think your list is missing that kicks carry (if I understand it correctly) is the Magic and Fire damage that Rift has, and Voice of Reason gives you Cannot be Frozen (You might wear double Ravens anyway to put up with a Phase Blade's dex cost, but the freedom is there).

Can't do precise calculations, because monsters have varying resist...

1. Base damage on a level 13 orb is 181 max, and 291 max on a level 21 orb. Note that Rift has a higher hance to cast, and Rift is on attack and not striking. This means that Voice of Reason will trigger of Blade Fury, but for general kicks, Rift has a much higher chance to trigger (at least against monster that can block -- talon does have a huge AR boost). At any rate, the damage on the level 13 orb is bounded at 470 per bolt, which is a monster at -100 resists and 30% increased cold damage. That's not too bad.

2. 691 max damage on a monster at -100 resists. And it freezes. 266 base max damage at level 20.

3. If it's all cold damage, then just add stuff up. I'm too lazy to do it now, but it'll be somewhere between the orb damage and ice blast damage.

4. 211 physical damage. It's not very useful, imo.

IncGamers Member

Thanks for the answers.

The freeze effect from ice blast is nice . You're right about the magic damage from the rift of course. I had that in mind, but didn't think of the infinity and its -100% resistance reduction until later. Also the chance to cast an orb is lower using VoR, yes. However, if you devote your energy into getting items that improve your cold damage, VoR seems comparable to the Rift at first glance I think.

IncGamers Member

The only way I see that you're increasing your damage is by effects that for the most part multiply onto the written damage. So then we have 181 damage (max) on a level 13 orb, versus 291 damage (max) on a level 21 orb. So Rift has a large (like 50%+) advantage on VoR. I think the deciding factor might be if you prefer to put VoR in a Phase Blade. The speed difference might allow you to use Fade instead of Burst of Speed. But if that's not an issue for you, Rift's damage is a fair bit better than VoR's.

Also, monsters blocking might also lower your chance to cast Orb more than you think...

IncGamers Member

good info all thanks

anyone have an extra 4os scepter? i'd be willing to trade for it?

IncGamers Member

Looking this whole build over, I notice that it's just like the dtalon/trapper that utilizes crushing blow to perforate bosses. Am I correct in assuming that it's the same build, just with a different gear setup?

Quote Originally Posted by Bliphgar View Post
    Looking this whole build over, I notice that it's just like the dtalon/trapper that utilizes crushing blow to perforate bosses. Am I correct in assuming that it's the same build, just with a different gear setup?
    Pretty much.

The thing is, you have more versatility imo with Orb, Magic, Fire, Lighting, Poison, Physical damage all rolled into one. If you wanted, you could even use the setup on a regular kicker, you just may not have traps as high or at all.

Like most builds, gear can make a huge difference even with the same setup.

IncGamers Member

How do you think this build would work if I ran it with cat's eye, nosferatu's, and socket the nightwing with another cold facet. This would put me at 9/3 DT with extra cold damage. If I did this do you think it would be worth it to just stick with the 9/3 DT and use fade instead of BoS?

To be honest, I never care about my kick speed, since its so fast anyways, it never makes to big of a difference to me.

I also prefer Fade because of the res and DR% rather then BoS which while does give IAS, only seems to make me run faster. I like the FRW, but I prefer the safety side with Fade. In the end its a personal preference on what to use, a frame or two better kicks, or safety.

Using Cat's Eye mean less plus skills meaning lower Traps/Shadow skills. Also using Nos means no Tgods for me, which I love to much to pass up.