Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Great, another opportunity to get a Phoenix Striker killed!

A few questions first:

* Why not add Cows to the act 1 or act 5 bestiary?

* If I am forced to equip a weapon/shield because a SuperUnique dropped it, can I still use my current items and put the "force-equipped" item on the weapon switch (or on the mercenary)?

Quote Originally Posted by Morathi
    How can you tell if an item is dropped from the trophy mob? i mean what if they mix in with another group of monsters and when you kill the whole group all the items on the ground will be bunched up. That would make it very very hard to tell if the item came from your trophy mob or a random monster.
    That has already been covered. Read the rules again. :azn:

BattleTag Grisu-2156
    Quote Originally Posted by Morathi View Post
    another question.

How can you tell if an item is dropped from the trophy mob? i mean what if they mix in with another group of monsters and when you kill the whole group all the items on the ground will be bunched up. That would make it very very hard to tell if the item came from your trophy mob or a random monster.
    Well, better keep them apart :grin:

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin The Wizzard View Post
    - The only equipment you are allowed to use is the equipment dropped from these trophymobs.If you are not sure which drops belong to your trophymob, and which to other mobs, you cannot use them. So it is to your advantage to separate your trophymobs from other creatures by any means possible.

opps lol sorry guys.... there are so many rules:undecided: .

thanks for that.

OK, I have done my random rolls:

Skeleton Archer
    Slinger
    Thorned Hulk (Stormtree)
    Megademon (Infector of Souls, Ventar the Unholy)
    Stygian Fury

Act Boss: Andariel

Hmm, not much better than what I first rolled (Corrupted Rogue, Greater Mummy, Willowisp, Vile Mother, Minion of Destruction): quite uncommon monsters and there are hardly any monsters coming back in later acts. On the upside, skelly archers will likely provide some early gear, I have few SuperUniques and act 5 NM could be very profitable (if I make it that far).

This should be doable for quite a while. A Phoenix Striker relies mainly on her skills for damage (although she wants a fast one-handed weapon, preferrably with a range more than 1). No Shadow or Death Sentry make it harder, but Cloak of Shadows and Mind Blast is good crowd control, and I´ll have a freezing mage marc to help with control and corpse shattering.

This will be fun!

Last edited by jiansonz; 07-11-2007 at 11:41.

IncGamers Member
    @Grisu : Yes, you can, from regular mobs. The problem will be, that by the time you can make a runeword from runes dropped by normal trophymobs, you'll probably be using an item dropped by a superunique trophymob in that slot, which means it can't be replaced. But if one of the runes, even if it is cubed up, HAS been dropped by one of the superuniques, you can replace the item you currently used (as explained in the superunique equipment section). I would treasure any runedrop from a superunique trophymob :P

@Morathi : Yes, I know there are many rules... It sort of comes with the idea. Using trophymobs and this form of equipment restriction, is bound to bring problems along with it. Those need to be adressed in the rules, making them rather lengthy.

@Jiansonz
    I decided to stick to the monsterlisting in the bestiary, as it already is plenty random, and, as subtly hinted at by morathi, there are quite enough rules already :P Besides, cows are quite unfair, seeing as how there are huge numbers of them, and they can drop all sorts of great items. For balancing issues alone I would be disinclined to allow them, but if more potential participants feel that they should be included, I am sure something could be worked out. For now though, let's leave them out of the list
    -Yes, you can equip said weapon/shield in the Second weapon slot. But should another superunique trophymob drop a weapon, you have to replace the other weapon first. For example, I killed corpsefire and got a magical shortsword. I put it in my second weapon slot. But in Act 2, I kill Beetleburst, and out pops a maul. Now, I have to use that in my current weapon slot, since the other one holds a superunique drop. Should Stormtree in Act III however drop a rare giant sword, you can now replace the magical shortsword (and then give it to the act III mercenary, should you use him).
    This means it might be tactical to select a mercenary purely for his free weaponslot, freeing up a useless item in your own inventory. Whether you want to use a mercenary that way (the act 3 merc is a prime candidate for crappy singlehand swords, of course :P) is entirely up to you.

It also means it is not wise to try and make a build which uses 1 specific weaponclass. However, this pretty much rules out any viable amazon build, apart from a tankazon. Hmm...
    Perhaps it could be adressed in scoring... Such as: You get 1 overrule per difficulty, for the weaponslot only. Meaning if the new drop totally screws up your build, you can opt not to use it, but, you will have to deduct 10 points from your score. Would that be fair?

IncGamers Member
    Jiansonz - You missed the act boss :P You get to pick one random act boss as well! Might be helpful, considering the scarceness of items:P. Lucky enough, few superunique heroes to mess up your itembuild :P Runewords might very well be viable for you. Well, good luck with it!

I might have stuck with that first roll. In that case, you get to use the runedrop from the countess as well, you see :P
    But the minions of destruction royally suck if you get them, so I can see why you decided to go for that second roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin The Wizzard View Post
    I might have stuck with that first roll. In that case, you get to use the runedrop from the countess as well, you see :P
    But the minions of destruction royally suck if you get them, so I can see why you decided to go for that second roll.
    Yeah, but the Countess (and even more so, Radament) could curse me with several items I had to equip. Between my forst roll and a new random one, I chose the latter (and there there was no return...)

Another question: do rejuvenation potions count as healing potions? I hope they do, otherwise there will be very few of them available.

EDIT: Stygian Furies are very rare in Normal - they are only found on the Throne level. All other types in the act are succubi. In NM and Hell, however, they are slightly more common, e.g. there are often Sirens in Frozen River and the RoF bonus areas.

I wouldn´t call reanimated horde uncommon. They can be found in Pindle´s garden, Halls of Valor, Halls of Pain (those are two huge areas), Frozen River, Glacial Trail (two large areas), Icy Cellar and WSK level 1.

In act 4, Willowisps and Tainted must have the same rarity. They can both be found in one areas, of equal size and the packs are equally large.

In act 3 I think Sand Raiders should be 'almost non-existant', as they can only be found on the small Kurast Causeway (and they are not always there, either).

Last edited by jiansonz; 07-11-2007 at 12:23.

IncGamers Member
    Thanks for the input, Jiansonz. I also noticed I missed the wraiths in Act II, they should be added to uncommon. I agree with all other scorelist comments so far, and will do a repost of the scoring with those changes in mind... if other players have nothing to add. So reanimated corpses to common, Stygian furies to rare, Willowisps in Act IV to rare, and Sand Raiders in Act III to almost non-existant.

I am still of two minds regarding the amazon build. Perhaps Add 25 points to anyone's final score when deciding to play an amazon, due to the almost exclusively weapon-dependent skills? I think this is better then the 1-item overrule (weapon only) at a scorepenalty suggested earlier, IMHO... less complicated.

As for Decoy, I will not regard this as a summon, so it can be used. In that same vein, all the druid spirits (basically just living auras) and the two later creepers (life/mana replenishing) are allowable. It's true, they distract monsters from you, but they don't do damage by themselves. And several necromancer curses have the same effect, so...

Rejuvenation potions are restricted items, sorry. While their drop late is relatively low, they are worth an indecent amount of cash, especially in the earlier difficulties. They only make up a marginal percentage of potion drops anyways.

Last edited by Merlin The Wizzard; 07-11-2007 at 13:13. Reason: Rejuv potions

IncGamers Member
    Well, I decided to go for a bone magic necromancer/meleemancer, with the curses as crowd control.

My first roll netted me :
    Spike Fiend, Sand Raider, Giant Mosquito, Megademon, Abominable
    And the act boss Mephisto

That meant the following superuniques : Fire Eye, Infector of Souls, Frozenstein, Ventar the Unholy

I dubbed for quite a bit. While this wasnt a dreadful roll perse, I wasnt very pleased with the Sand raiders in Act 2 and the Giant mosquitos in Act 3. Besides, I hate abominables for fighting only, but there are plenty of those in act V. The amount of superuniques wasn't particularly limiting, and I did like the spike fiends for act 1, as those would come back pretty steadily during the entire act, and also be a frequent guest mob in later difficulty levels.
    Also, Mephisto for an act boss? Yeah, one of my favorites. But, after a bit, I decided to chance my luck, and reroll... Perhaps I should have stayed with the first roll.

Out came the following list :
    Fallen Shaman, Bat Demon, Zakarum Zealot, Finger Mage, Siege Beast
    And the Act Boss : Andariel
    Superunique trophymobs :
    Bishibosh, Icehawk Riftwing, The Grand Vizier, Thresh Socket, Colenzo the Annihilator

The Act boss was a setback, but on the plus side, the bonus gems would be nice.
    The Siege beasts for act V were quite bad, I'd say on par with the stygian furies jiansonz rolled, and the odds of them appearing more frequently in later difficulties is almost nil. The Fallen Shaman are definetely more of a nuisance then the spike fiends, as I 'll have to lure pretty much all the fallen away. Just for that, I may opt to leave my merc be in act 1, because she could really mess up the drops otherwise.
    Still, I liked the Bat demons better then the Sand Raiders, as the bats would also make their presence known in Act 3 and probably act 4 as well. Besides, they aren't the toughest mobs out there, I'd say :P
    The Zealots in act 3 were the real highpoint, however. Very nice, there would be plenty throughout Kurast, and no Superunique to worry about either.
    The Finger mages in Act 4 are about as common as the megademons, and I would miss Ventar. Of course, I had Colenzo. Can't have it all, eh? Still, overall, I find the megademons easier to fight then the Finger mages, and I particularly dislike their penchant of flying away over lava while fleeing.

IncGamers Member
    I don't think amazons should be given a bonus, barbarian, if anything. Amazon has skills like LF and FA which aren't exactly high-end gear reliant