Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Re: M'avina Strafazon

Quote Originally Posted by KremBanan View Post
    I agree with Omikron8. There is no point in making a Mavina Ama without FA/CA.

If you are gonna make a pure physical bowa, even a Eaglehorn for bow would be a better choice imo.
    With 114-377 Magic damage, and 131-252 cold damage, it's anything but a "pure physical bowa".

In fact, the Mav set provides better elemental damage than Harmony bow, which is a pretty viable bow for hell difficulty.

Eaglehorn provides no way to deal with PI enemies from scratch, the mav set does. The mav set also offers a crapton of other benefits, aside from just the +skills and massive cold damage.

Theres more to a gearset than simply taking it's physical damage into consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by 5zigen View Post
    Eaglehorn provides no way to deal with PI enemies from scratch, the mav set does. The mav set also offers a crapton of other benefits, aside from just the +skills and massive cold damage.
    the skills and massive cold damage both are 'useless' for a pure strafeazon and no mav doesn't offer a build in PI solution - unless you count that little elemental damage as an option - as you need to use fa. Something you don't do on a pure strafeazon.

For a pure strafeazon, mav is a very bod choice - some claim it to be better to lose your set bonuses on a fa build - by going with lf and cs - instead of going with strafe. Then imagine what it would be for a pure strafeazon.

When you go for a pure strafeazon, using mav's is just something you may want to do because you want to, though rationally, there is very little reason to pick it over much cheaper equipment.

P.S. harmony is good in heel because it offers much more physical damage in a faster bow in combination with gear option that can fill in certainly aspects that harmony lacks. With mav's, you are set with a bow that may have potential, though the other piece certainly don't fill in the gaps.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by 5zigen View Post
    With 114-377 Magic damage, and 131-252 cold damage, it's anything but a "pure physical bowa".

In fact, the Mav set provides better elemental damage than Harmony bow, which is a pretty viable bow for hell difficulty.

Theres more to a gearset than simply taking it's physical damage into consideration.
    do you think that a few hundred elemental/magical damage will do anything to hell multiplayer monsters ? there are monsters in hell that start with 10k base health (one player game) and positive resistances in every element

the reason i state that it is an ideal set for synergized FA is the cold damage bonus and the large +skills bonus (like any other class set)

if you want a pure strafezon even a non-upgraded WWS would be a better choice

IncGamers Member

So M'avina set is:
    - Bow
    - Helm
    - Armor
    - Belt
    - Gloves

It gives:
    - 40 to 207 (123 avg) Phys Damage, 70IAS, 10/3 Strafe.
    - 114 to 377 magic damage.
    - 137 to 270 cold damage + 20% bonus.
    - 10% Chance 15lvl Nova (92 to 139 Lightning AOE).
    - 50%AR bonus, 150 AR.
    - 1 Skills, 3 Ama skills, 2 Bow skills, 2 Passive & Magic skills.
    - 30 Str, 45 Dex.
    - 100 All Resist.
    - 100 MF.
    - 5 ML, 20 FRW, 30 FHR.

What alternative combinations with comparable or better bonuses are there? Options are wellcome.

IncGamers Member

The thing to point out is that it seems a lot of people are concerned primarily with killing power in an 8-player game. But heck, anything less than a hammerdin or any other totally decked-out, runeword-hogging, crushing-blow stacking character build will result in disappointment in eight player Hell games. They require expensive builds, for the most part.

If you used the M'avina set, your only real CB option, aside from socketing a Ber, is Gore Riders. Nevertheless, at least there is a CB option available if you use the set.

As for the PI problem, I'd say having Atma's Scarab takes care of that. PIs don't seem nearly as abundant as cold immunes, and amp damage will break the PI while there's nothing you can do to break cold immune, besides having a conviction merc--and even then it would only work at 1/5th effectiveness, and not all cold immune monsters are even capable of being broken.

It's true that capitalizing on FA is ideal for the set, as opposed to pure Strafe and passive skills. Problem is, the abundance of cold immunes in Hell makes that a problem. So your choice is either a non-optimal Strafe build, or not being able to even damage 1/3 or so of the enemies in Hell. Given that, I'd still prefer the Strafe approach. It'll still have killing power in low-to-one player games, even more so with Gore Riders and Atma's Scarab.

Quote Originally Posted by rainsnow View Post
    It gives:
    - 50%AR bonus, 150 AR.
    - 30 Str, 45 Dex.
    - 100 All Resist.
    - 100 MF.
    - 5 ML, 20 FRW, 30 FHR.

What alternative combinations with comparable or better bonuses are there?
    Bow: Eaglehorn
    Armor: Treachery
    Helm: Stealskull
    Belt: Razortail
    Glovs: LoH

200ed
    2-198% Enhanced Maximum Damage
    +1 To Amazon Skill Levels
    +350% Damage To Demons
    10 max damage
    6-594 AR
    +40 Dex
    Ignores Target's Defense
    60-100mf
    75 IAS
    50% Fireres
    30% Coldres
    60@res from Fade
    15% dr
    30FHR
    5% Dual leech

I know what I would choose.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by rainsnow View Post
    So M'avina set is:
    - Bow
    - Helm
    - Armor
    - Belt
    - Gloves

It gives:
    - 50%AR bonus, 150 AR.
    - 30 Str, 45 Dex.
    - 100 All Resist.
    - 100 MF.
    - 5 ML, 20 FRW, 30 FHR.

What alternative combinations with comparable or better bonuses are there? Options are wellcome.
    1) not enough phys damage on the bow, the elemental/magical bonuses will barely beat monster regeneration in hell

2) even with the whole set the speed is way too slow for the damage

3) chance to cast unsynergized spells are useless

4) bowazons already have lots of AR

5) the +skills will only help with an elemental build, this is why i recommend synergized FA

6) you can get better stats from cat's eye + ravenfrost + torch + nos coil

7) high positive res is not necessary in hell if you move around enough while spamming multi

8) way better choices for mf: war travs, goldwrap, gheed's charm, stealskull, etc.

9) tal's mask/stealskull provides dual leech with better secondary bonuses, cat's eye gives run/walk, bowazons don't need hit recovery

here's my budget setup that blows away mav's set

bow: WWS/eaglehorn/lycander's (preferably upgraded)
    armor: twitch/treachery
    ammy: cat's eye
    rings: dual ravenfrost
    helm: tal's mask
    gloves: laying of hands
    boots: sanders boots
    and a low quality zon torch

all of the above items can be bought for pgems, even the zon torch

IncGamers Member

+1 To Amazon Skill Levels
    Mav gives +7 to the skill trees used for a bow build.

6-594 AR
    Mav helm does 50% AR boost, independent of points spent in Penetrate, which combined with +7 skills will provide a good boost. After wearing one or two Ravenfrosts, and the 150 from the set anyway, AR comparison is a moot point.

60-100mf
    Mav set grants 100mf.

50% Fireres
    30% Coldres
    60@res from Fade
    So after Fade triggers, you have 110 fire resist, 90 cold, and 60 to lightning and poison. Mav gives 100 across the board--you have slightly better fire resist, but having that lightning higher up really helps, too.

+40 Dex
    30FHR
    Mav has same FHR, and +45 Dex.

75 IAS
    Mav gives 70 IAS. A Shael or jewel of fervor will improve it.

200ed
    2-198% Enhanced Maximum Damage
    +350% Damage To Demons
    Ignores Target's Defense
    15% dr
    OK, you win on those. Increased killing power over the Mav set, on a purely physical damage basis.

Still, I don't think the comparison was as convincing as you intended. I'l still go for the Mav set over yours.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by schnelltot View Post

Still, I don't think the comparison was as convincing as you intended. I'l still go for the Mav set over yours.
    and while you're plugging away with your low bow damage at the monsters you think they won't have a better chance of surrounding you or getting a lucky shot and killing you ? don't you think it's better to shoot them down fast so they don't get the chance ?

IncGamers Member

4) bowazons already have lots of AR
    Which, again, makes AR kind of a moot point to make these build comparisons.

5) the +skills will only help with an elemental build, this is why i recommend synergized FA
    Not true at all--those +skills will really help on the passive/magic tree. With 1 point invested, you already have lvl 8 CS, Penetrate, and Pierce, for instance.

6) you can get better stats from cat's eye + ravenfrost + torch + nos coil
    So? Cat's Eye, Ravenfrost, and Torch are already wearable independent of the Mav set.

7) high positive res is not necessary in hell if you move around enough while spamming multi
    Well, with the Mav set, I think Strafe is better than Multi. Anyway, I think having good resistance in Hell IS necessary, regardless. Get ambushed by a pack of Gloams and then see what happens.

8) way better choices for mf: war travs, goldwrap, gheed's charm, stealskull, etc.
    War travs and Gheed's are wearable with Mav, though I wouldn't give up Gore Riders. In fact, even with War travs and Gheed's, the mf is comparable, so it's not correct to say 'way better choices.'

9) tal's mask/stealskull provides dual leech with better secondary bonuses, cat's eye gives run/walk, bowazons don't need hit recovery
    Dual leech is a problem, besides mana. I guess you'd have to rely on a ring.

here's my budget setup that blows away mav's set

bow: WWS/eaglehorn/lycander's (preferably upgraded)
    armor: twitch/treachery
    ammy: cat's eye
    rings: dual ravenfrost
    helm: tal's mask
    gloves: laying of hands
    boots: sanders boots
    and a low quality zon torch

all of the above items can be bought for pgems, even the zon torch
    Nonsense. Especially early in the ladder season, almost all of those items are expensive and require good runes, forget pgems. You won't get any torch for less than an Um.

You guys keep trying to knock down the set, but I don't think it's so crap as you think. ^ ^