Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    IncGamers Member

Re: PvP Poisonmancer v2

I like lower resist instead of bonewall and prison but i do play with a jmod so phys dmge isnt as much of a hassle

What this thread fails to mention is how annoyingly hard it is to hit 75% FCR without sacrificing some factors here and there. The ideal goal of 125% FCR is near impossible without forfeiting max block and max DR, both of which are relatively important in PvP.

Unless you choose to not use Death's Web, and that's NEVER a good idea. NEVER.

IncGamers Member

Max block isnt terribly important in PVP since i can have a few tanks from skeles gumby and a decent level bone armor to compensate. DR is quite important depending on the duel .

I use 125 cast with death web against sorcs and 75 cast against everything else.

I only lose to really good druids ( i switch to SS bered with no block) and barbs that just dont seem to die with my 11-12k poison nova probably cause they overdosed on antidotes.

IncGamers Member

I'm levelling my necro right now after being fortunate enough to find a perfect death's web in a random baal run. Anyway, I'm having trouble hitting the high fcr and fhr breakpoints, like others here. I've been thinking of using a spirit shield to help. I just don't know if it's worth the extra strength i'd have to pump into my character, and the poison dmg I'd lose from not having the 3-piece trang bonus. At level 85, I'd have to add approx 41 str to my guy, even with enigma. The 22 Vit from spirit offsets this a bit though. So, what do you think is better - trang 3 piece, arachnid+spirit, arachnid+homo, other?

IncGamers Member

This is so interesting, its a build I always wanted to try. Simply because I never or rarely see them in any PvP games. Your guide is very detailed yet concise and thus doesnt get confusing / tiring, it explains everything one needs to know, good job.

I was playing around with Onderduiker's poison calc sheet and noticed one can get up to 13K poison nova with +3 circlets and ammy and full skillers and a nice rare +5 nova nec shield. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but won't (nearly all) other players take double the listed damage for 4 seconds due to the fact they have no PLR stacked against the hell penalty and the -PLR from facets and DWeb? So if you do 11k nova over 2 seconds, in PvP that is 11k/6 = 1833 x 2 = 3666 over 4 seconds! Now imagine against characters who dont bother stacking poison res and its at -40 or -100 (NM or hell). In hell: 11k/6 = 1833 x 2 (-100res) = 3666 x 2 (-100PLR) = 7332k damage over 4 seconds. So one nova will take care of nearly everything which is not wolf or bear form, of course you still gotta do the last 1HP damage, but you can stay safely out of range with fire golem or teeth for that.

So, am I right or am I missing something here?

Quote Originally Posted by LostFreedom View Post
    I'm levelling my necro right now after being fortunate enough to find a perfect death's web in a random baal run. Anyway, I'm having trouble hitting the high fcr and fhr breakpoints, like others here. I've been thinking of using a spirit shield to help. I just don't know if it's worth the extra strength i'd have to pump into my character, and the poison dmg I'd lose from not having the 3-piece trang bonus. At level 85, I'd have to add approx 41 str to my guy, even with enigma. The 22 Vit from spirit offsets this a bit though. So, what do you think is better - trang 3 piece, arachnid+spirit, arachnid+homo, other?
    What other choices of gear do you have? So one can help in the fhr / fcr department by adding up all possible combos is why I'm asking But here I list them all (AFAIK) and you can mix and match, its what I do when I start a new build, making a lot of possible builds and finally will have to settle for just one, hopefully its always the best choice:

Your choices of fcr:

Ammy 10-20 (11+ from crafts only)
    Rings 10 (up to 2 of em so 20 fcr)
    Belt 20 fcr
    Gloves 20 fcr (But obviously no need to have this as option, you simply never replace Trangs )
    Circlets 20fcr
    HOTO 40fcr / Wizzy or Suicide 50 fcr / White with +PNova 20fcr
    (I would mostly consider Wizzy *if* I had to replace the DWeb)
    Darkforce 30 / Spirit 35 / Lidless 20

fhr:

12 from GC's and 5 from SC's (inventory)
    boots - 10 from rare ones, 20 from treks, 30 max from shadow dancers but these have high str req :/
    gloves - bloodfist give 30 if you really desperate to hit a bp but you lose so much psn dmg if you switch trangs!
    belts - rare ones can give nice 17-24fhr and have nice adds like res, life and str too
    spirit shield - a whopping 55!
    and ... you can always socket 1-2 shaels if you got a 1-2 sox circlet and you happy enough with your damage, thats 20-40 fhr extra!

Also, personally, I am going to build one of these but I would never go for 3 piece Trang as the belt is so useless, sure it has CBF but you can always slap a Raven for that. Arach is better IMO, way better, seems perfect and irreplaceable for this build. Maybe Trang belt vs cold sorcs, but then even Snowclash is better, and also is cheap

Last edited by ancalagon; 16-11-2009 at 22:29.

IncGamers Member

Not sure if anybody has read this in awhile but I have been reading it quite a bit lately, as I recently made a poisonmancer for PvP. I actually respecced by bonemancer, who I was terrible with (which always seems to be the case whenever I come back to D2!) and so far I like the poisonmancer alot more.

The reason why I think the poisonmancer is a superior necro PvP build is this: It is the "gg" spec for the necromancer class. Think about every other class and how fast they can kill you:

Sorceress: Endless options here. Fireballs, Chain Lightning, Frozen Orb, Blizzard. Each of these attacks is in the 10,000 dmg range, and can 1 or 2 shot a CTA buffed Necro.

Barbarian: BvC is an entire class on its own. And Whirlwinds - lolwinds, youre done if you get hit by them (blocking necs have a better shot but still)

Paladin: Blessed Hammer of Noobness anyone? Honestly it baffles me that this skill is still so strong in PvP. It serves no purpose in the game to have something be that powerful, other than for bots to absolutely wreck in PvM.

Assassins: Lightning. Sentry.

Druids: More fairly balanced than the others, but still - can wreck some face.

As you can see, many classes are able to smoke a necro with some fairly cookie-cutter attacks. This isn't a QQ thread, but it just shows how much more skill we have to play with. But we do have one attack which rivals the damage and killing power of these others - poison nova. Its the only necro attack which really has "gg damage," and while you still have to play defensively and constantly teleport to dodge the dangerous opposition, you can truly trash an opponent with it!

Anyway, I love my poisonmancer already in PvP and PvM, he's a more efficient killing machine in both regards than my bonemancer was. Additionally the "respec" option saved me the time of levelling a new char up to try this out. I do have one question in addition to the observations:

Is going for the 3 Trang'Oul set item bonus (-25% enemy resist) worth it in PvP? I can achieve the 75% FCR rate (125 is impossible with Death's Web, I think) through 20 amulet/20 circlet/10 ring/10 ring/20 Trang gloves. [Could even be a 15 amulet].

Death's Web and Trang's gloves alone make a really huge difference in PvP damage obviously, and throwing on some poison facets to DW, circlet, and having the 3 set trang bonus would put you at -90% enemy poison resist! That's pretty disgusting on Hell Mode, and should allow 1 or 2 novas to take an enemy down to 1 hp. I wanted to know if anybody has tried this and if it is worth while. For my money the faster the enemy can die the faster I'll win - I don't have max block (though Trang wing offers high block), and I have all vit and can achieve the FCR I need through those items listed. I wanted to know if anybody is in the same boat as me. Let me know your thoughts