This guide was originally written by hks489. Unfortunately the original thread was lost. To make matters worse hks489 also lost the copy on his hard drive. Luckily for us Evil Monkey managed to find a copy of the guide being posted on another website.
PvP Poison Necromancer v2.0
(I am in the process of updating this guide to come in line with the 1.11 patch, the work is still hks489’s in the majority, I have just added some useful info, ie breakpoints, blocking formula. I have also removed references to the marrowalk bug which was removed in 1.11) any things missing/need changing let me know, this isnt final!
I’ve been visiting this site for awhile but I haven’t seen a poison necro pvp guide so…. here it is! This is mainly a guide for pub duelling, since most people aren’t involved in clans or that honour thing so in my guide, everything goes, although I did put in a part for honour duelling.
To start off, here’s some personal info, I go by the login of “poison4899”, my screen name is “Japgirlmacker” maybe some of you have seen me around the pub duels. My first character was a 90 bone necro. Although it did well, there were too many around and I wanted to make a necro that’s less used, thus a poison necro. This is my first time writing a guide so excuse my format mistakes or whatever… The format for this guide is stolen from “Thekbob” from his Commando guide. Hope you don’t mind!! Credit given where credit’s due.
Green is good.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
I. Skill point allocation.
II. Stat point allocation.
III. The Gear.
IV. My Necromancer
V. PvP Strategies.
VI. Advanced PvP Strategies.
I. SKILL POINT ALLOCATION
Note: These are all my opinions on how things should be done. You can vary to suit your own needs, whatever they are.
Poison & Bone Skills:
20 Poison Dagger
20 Poison Explosion
20 Poison Nova
20 Bone Wall
1 Bone Armor
1-20 Bone Prison (remaining points)
1 Amplify Damage
1 Iron Maiden
1 Life Tap
1 Lower Resist
1 Clay Golem
1 Blood Golem
1 Iron Golem
1 Fire Golem
1 Corpse Explosion – needed for poisen skills
1 Bone Spear – needed for bone prison
1 Raise skeleton
1 Raise skeleton mage
1 skeleton mastery
1 Golem mastery
1 summon resist
*Corpse Explosion is a pre requisite to poison nova so is needed anyways but it is very useful for baal running, as nova itself is slow and laggy so shouldn’t be used, this allows you to contribute with curses along side
*Bone spear, again a p[re requisite spell, but this is also useful in duelling, when your nova has left someone on 1hp, their life regen can sometimes kick in, meaning that the golems aura is not powerful enough to kill them, this is where bone spear can come in a nice fast ranged attack to drop them
*Raise skeleton/mage/revive – you can get a pretty big army even with only 1 point, makes PvM a lot easier, and is very useful if you are fighting something like a FoH pala (more targets to kill before he can hit you)
*Summon resist/skeleton mastery – these just make your skeletons a lot stronger, again, without these they are a little too weak to be very useful
You’re never really finished as you can continue to put points Bone Prison until you’re 99
II. STAT POINTS ALLOCATION
Strength: Enough to wear equipment. My poisenmancer uses base str but that is only because his gear fits perfectly, you need very good gear for this.
Dexterity: Enough to give you maximum block, or 75%.
Total Blocking = (Blocking x (Dexterity - 15)) / (Character Level x 2)
Blocking = A total of the Blocking on all of your items
now take an example of stormshield at lvl 89
75 = (67 x (dexterity - 15)) / (89 x 2) -> 75 = (67 x dexterity - 1005)/178 -> dexterity = (75x 178 + 1005)/67 -> dexterity = 214.25
if your dexterity = 2x character level + 15 (193 at character level 89), you get the total block of your items, 67% for stormshield, so for 75% you need to go a bit higher.
Re-arranging this equation to finds out the dexterity needed
((Total Blocking x (character level x 2)) / the shields blocking value) + 15 = total dexterity needed
Vitality: As with all other builds, all you can spare. Unfortunatly necromancer has bad returns on vit.
Energy: This is very debatable for it depends on the items you’re able to get. If you’re rich, then you can afford numerous +mana items or charms, so you don’t need any points here. If you’re poor, then put a few points in to make sure you get enough to use without chugging a mana potion every 5 seconds.
Max Block vs All Vit
This is an ongoing question, and there are definite advantages to both sides. But this is the way I look at it. For my nec to hit 75% block at lvl 90 I need 170 base dex (rest from gear) so that is 145vit less, or 190life (around 300life after bo) now in end game gear you will get 2k life anyways so 300 is a small fraction, then compare than to negating entirely 75% of melee attacks its an easy choice for me!
Faster Cast Rate
Here you only have 2 main choices 75% or 125% if you want to tele effectively. 75% allows you to do higher damage while 125% allows you to drops your novas easier. Your choice
0% - 15 Frames
9% - 14 Frames
18% - 13 Frames
30% - 12 Frames
48% - 11 Frames
75% - 10 Frames
125% - 9 Frames
Faster Hit Recovery
Fhr is very much needed otherwise as soon as any class gets 1 hit in you will be bombarded until dead. I like to aim for the 86% breakpoint I get this via
4xpb skiller 12%ghr=48%
0% - 13 Frames
5% - 12 Frames
10% - 11 Frames
16% - 10 Frames
26% - 9 Frames
39% - 8 Frames
56% - 7 Frames
86% - 6 Frames
152% - 5 Frames
377% - 4 Frames
III. THE GEAR
I’ll list the best option plus a few alternatives for regular people who can’t afford godly stuff.
1) Death’s Web: No contest here, this is best wand a poison necro can use. A lot of + skills to Poison & Bone skills, and the crazy negative resistance to poison. (Very, very expensive)
2) Heart of the Oak: +3 to all skills, resist, fast cast, can’t really ask for better… except Death’s Web =). (expensive)
(now, before you go head over heals for deaths web :P , deaths web helps a lot against those chars with alot of life and/or stacked poison resists. Which you will find is relatively uncommon because the poisonmancer is a rare class so many people don’t carry the gear with them to counter it. So for general pubby duelling I prefer HoTo, as this offers resists and fcr too (allowing you to hit 125%fcr)
3) Blackbog’s Sharp: +4 to Poison Nova and Explosion, and +5 to Poison Dagger. Other stats useless unless you plan to stab someone… which is something this build is not good at. (Damn cheap)
4) Blackhand’s Key: The staple of all mid-level necros. +2 to necro skills, fast cast, it’s still a good wand to use if u can’t get anything else. (Somewhat cheap)
1) Homunculus: In my opinion, the best necro shield you can use for PvP. +2 necro skills, all resist, mana regen, and the insane block rate. Really, can’t get better than that. (Medium cheap)
2) Darkforce Spawn: This shield is also quite good, but it’s more for fight against casters because of the low block rate. What really stands out about this shield is the fast cast. You’ll need to get a +3 to Poison and Bone, the rest aren’t much use. (Very expensive) - if you are fighting a caster with stack poisen resists swap hoto for deaths web and homunculus for this beauty)
3)Trangs wing: combined with trang belt and gloves this offers -25%enemy resist which is a very nice and very cheap way of drastically increasing your damage also possible to max block quite easily
4) Lidless Wall: Good overall shield for any caster, with +1 to skill, fast cast, and increase mana 10%. (cheap)
5) Stormshield: I listed this mainly for the damage reduction it gives and the cool block rate, though the strength req might be too much for most people. (medium)
6)Spirit: this is for those people who can’t afford darkforce spawn, or need the extra 5%fcr to hit a fcr breakpoint. This is a very cheap and powerful shield, with resists/skills and the very nice fhr and resists but requires massive strength, I don’t recommend putting points in str just to wear this. (very cheap->expensive)
7) Whistan’s Guard: Nothing special except for it’s crazy block rate. (Very Cheap)
1) Rare Circlet: One that gives +2 necro skill, 20% fast cast, all resist. These circlets are godly. (Crazy expensive)
There are many many many choices here varying from pure +2nec skills 20%fcr and 1 socket, to +3pbskills 20%fcr 2 sockets and also +2nec 20%fcr +life + resists 2sockets (these vary from expensive to astronomical) – my preferred is 3pbskills 20%fcr 2sockets with 2x5/-5 facets
2) Harlequins Crest, aka Shako: Good for any build, +2 to skills, 10% damage reduced, and a ****load of health and mana, though it looks crappy on your dude. ( Medium) – if you don’t need the fcr from a circlet this IS the choice
3) Peasant Crown: a cheap alternative to shako. It’s not bad if you can’t get the stuff mentioned above. ( Cheap)
4) Crown of Ages: I suggest this because this is a godly helm. +1 to skills, all resist, fast hit recovery, and socketed!!! But the thing is… the strength req for this is quite beyond reach for most necros. (Crazy expensive)
1) Enigma: Hands down, the best armor there is. +2 to skills, damage reduced, + life, and + insane strength. Use this, and the strength problem you always had will be a thing of the past…. Not to mention the teleport… (Expensive)
2) Bramble: Nice fast hit recovery, increase to mana, mana regen, nice resists, and the crazy +25%-50% poison damage!!!!! (Expensive-Crazy expensive dependant on the %damage)
3) Skin of Vipermagi: +1 to all skill, 30% fast cast, all resist. Nice armor to use if you can’t afford the above. (Affordable)
4) Que-hagen’s Wisdom: +1 to skills, 20% fast cast, 20% hit recovery. Good armor overall except for the lack of resistance. ( Affordable)
1) Trang-Ouls Claws: 20% fast cast, nice cold res, +2 to curses. What really stands out is the 25% to poison damage!!!!!! (Affordable)
2) Magefists: 20% fast cast, nice mana regen, really good caster gloves. (Cheap)
3) Frostburns: Only useful thing on this is the huge boost to mana. (Cheap)
1) Sandstorm Trek: What you really want from this boot is the fast hit recovery. The + strength and vitality is also nice. ( Medium)
2)Marrowwalks: The mods on the boots aren’t that shabby. Meeting the strength req might be a hassle though. Some more mana, skele mastery and some str/dex, nothing out of this world, but are very nice none the less (become abit redundant since the marrowalk bug was removed in patch 1.11) ( Medium)
3)Silkweave: these offer a very nice mana boost (cheap)
4) Tearhaunch: Nothing special about these boots except for the +10 all res (Very Cheap)
5) Natalya’s Boots: 40% fast run/walk and nice resists. ( Somewhat cheap)
1) Arachnid Mesh: Godly belt this is. +1 to skills, 20% fast cast, increase to mana. Enough said. (Expensive)
2) Gloom’s Trap: Increase to mana, mana regen, + vitality. Good overall belt. (Medium)
3) Trang-Oul’s Girth: Can’t be frozen, nice + to mana and life. Especially useful if paired with Trang’s gloves. Gives nice cold res and mana regen. Combined with trangs shield as well you can get -25% enemy poisen resist, always good (Somewhat expensive)
1) Crafted Amulets: What your looking for is a +2 nec skill, 10%+(prefer 15%+) fast cast, all res. (Hard to make, Very expensive to trade)
2) Mara’s Kaleidoscope: +2 skills, + 5 to attributes, all res. Damn good this is. (Very Expensive)
3) Nice Magical Amulet: What you need is a +3 to Poison and Bone skill. If it has other useful mods, even better. (Somewhat expensive, depends on the 2nd mod)
4) Not as nice Magical Amulet: +1 to nec skill with 2nd mod. Use this if you can’t afford anything. (Damn cheap)
1) Rare ring: 10% fast cast, all resist, +life and/or mana. (medium-Crazy expensive)
2) Stone of Jordan: +1 to skill, increases to mana, enuf said. (Very Expensive)
3) Bul-Katho’s Ring: The alternative to SOJ if you need life instead of mana (Very Expensive)
4)Raven frost: Prevents being frozen, if you rely on running, being frozen can be deadly(cheap)
5) Manald Heal: Just for the mana regen. ( Very Inexpensive, they’re everywhere)
As with almost all chars you will want to find yourself a hellfire torch(medium-expensive) and an anni (expensive-crazy expensive) if possible
this then leaves you space for 9 poison and bone skillers. I personally prefer 4 with 12%fhr if possible so I can hit the 86%fhr breakpoint, the remaining 5, life is the best 2nd mod
I then choose 4x5%fhr sc and 6x5resist all sc as this will then max your resists in hell and get you the above mentioned 86%fhr
Best Set-up (IMO):
Helm: Rare +3pb skills 20%fcr 2x5/-5 poisen facet
Weapon: Death’s Web. 2/2/45+ works best. (5/-5facet)
Gloves: Trang’s Gloves.
Boots: Sandstorm Trek
Belt: Arachnid Mesh.
Shield: Homunculus. (5/-5Facet
Amulet: +2 Nec skill, 20% fcr, All res, Crafted ammy or Mara’s Kaleidoscope.
1st Ring: Rare 10% fcr, All res, +life/mana ring.
2nd Ring: Stone of Jordan.
Average Player’s Setup:
Weapon: Blackhand Key or Blackbog’s Sharp.
Armor: Skin of Vipermagi.
Gloves: Trang’s Gloves or Magefist.
Belt: Gloom’s Trap.
Shield: Homunculus or Lidless Wall.
Amulet: Eye of Elitch.
1st Ring: Rare or Magical 10% fcr ring.
2nd Ring: Ravenfrost.
Poor Man’s Setup:
I don’t suggest you make a poison necro if you can not afford the items mentioned in the average player’s section. Although it is viable to have cheaper equipment for PvM, you’ll get slaughtered in PvP.
IV. My Necromancer
Circlet:2nec skills 20%fcr 2 sox (2x5/-5 facets)
amulet:+2pb skills 19%fcr 11res all 6%mana regen
weapon: Hoto 40res@
shield: Homunculus 192%ed 5/-5 facet (or pdiamond dependant if I need to stack resists more)
armor: Enigma light plate(my anni and torch arent perfect so 55 str req mage plate is beyond me) 882 total def
belt: Arach 113%ed
ring1: 10%fcr 90mana 29%psn res and other minor mods
ring2: (atm 10%fcr 82mana but this will become SoJ when I find 1)
cta/lidless wall on switch
skillers (still got to get these) - I will get 4xpb skillers 12%fhr and 5xpbskillers with life eventually, just plain ones to start with though hehe
6x5res all sc
I currently have 1.5klife at lvl 86 and 800mana, I hit the 125%fcr bp I have 75@ res in hell 40%fhr my bone armor absorbs 455(i think thats the number lol) damage and my nova deals 7.8k damage with just 1 plain skiller, probably will have just over 11k nova when I have the skillers.
I maxed poisen synergies
I have 1 point in curses to get lower resist
I have 1 point in each summon except revive atm
the rest of my points are in bonewall(1point in bone prison too)