DiabloWiki Updates
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Vista sadness

Quote Originally Posted by zxia View Post
    http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp?s=3&c=12&t=12936

follow that instructions
    but instead of
    "
    C:\\Users\\%USERNAME%\\AppData\\Roaming\\Microsoft \\Windows\\Start Menu\\Programs
    "

I got lazy and just put in
    "
    C:\
    "

also u will need another string called
    "
    Desktop
    "

just like programs, u can be lazy and put

"C:\ "

there too

basically now the d2 cd will look for desktop at
    "C:\ "
    and add start menu icons to
    "C:\"

lol so if u want shortcuts u need to make them after the install, also it will add shortcuts in C:\ i think

im sure i missed something..but have fun and always try ur best

also make sure u run setup.exe as admin or is it install.exe? lol

regarding compatibility issues, if u right click any

"etcetc.exe"

program u can mess with some settings in the "compatibility" tab, i think i checked somethings there so D2 doesn't crash to the desktop right away lol.
    vista likes to trash n crash my old programs.

regarding the

"C:\
    "

instead

of

"C:\\Users\\%USERNAME%\\blahblahblah "

i actually think its mandatory to put C:\. anyways gl.
    everything i know. quotations marks not needed btw.
    My registry already has desktop and programs strings. Am I missing something? My D2 ran fine for one day then all of a sudden went laggy when I log on. Any suggestions?

IncGamers Member TurbulentTurtle's Avatar
    I just got my new laptop up and working today using Vista Ultimate. I don't actually have any problems playing Diablo at all. I copied the entire directory from my old computer, went to the game exe, ran as administrator or something, and it just worked. =|

Is there any way I can do the fast user switching with Vista?

IncGamers Member BOILED IN BLOOD's Avatar
    I'm actually about to buy a new computer, and since DIABLO II is about the only game I play anymore, the problems reported with VISTA are seriously persuading me to go the MAC route. I've never used a MAC before and I'm wondering if there are any problems with DIABLO II on MACs? Probably a silly question...

IncGamers Member TurbulentTurtle's Avatar
    You can buy a somewhat older computer that has XP already installed on it if you wanna go with that route. Or buy a version of XP and install it yourself.

I have Vista Ultimate and D2 works fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TurbulentTurtle View Post
    You can buy a somewhat older computer that has XP already installed on it if you wanna go with that route. Or buy a version of XP and install it yourself.

I have Vista Ultimate and D2 works fine for me.
    a friend of mine bought a new acer laptop form walmart, and tried to install his ver of xp on it, it and he couldnt get any xp drivers for the sound/network/sata hd ect... had to restore the thing and is currently putting up with vistas crap

IncGamers Member

Vista problems, not in sticky

So I happily got a new computer. Nice and fancy, with Vista. However, when I play D2 (and yes, I have it set to the XP compatibility mode) as soon as I enter a game and move around, the screen freezes, goes blank, then returns with a messed up visuals in game. Odd patterns of blackness and parts of the game skins, and all of the enemies, characters, and NPC's blink.

Any suggestions?

IncGamers Member
    OK, this is really getting me down, though it is not clear to me that this is a Vista issue...

I have loaded D2LoD on my Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop running Vista with a Sony DVDR (DW-Q85A). I have loaded and played D2 on this machine before, but I have a hard time starting the program. I click on my shortcut with the disc in place and the machine says "Please verify that your Diablo II Expansion Disc is in your CD-ROM drive, then click on 'retry.' Of course, as I wouldn't be posting this, 'retry' doesn't help. When I 'retry' the computer doesn't recognize that I have the LoD expansion disc I used to install the program (and which works to start the game on an XP machine). Several times it has worked, but it is woefully inconsistant, and hasn't worked in the past several hours. Oh, and I can open the disc and open the "read me" file from the disc, but it will still not recognize the disc to start the game.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
    DudSpud

IncGamers Member

vista and multiplayer

Two quick questions:

1. Will Diablo 2 LOD run on Windows Vista?

2. In a multiplayer game does each person have to have a cd?

1. yes, but with some effort

2a. no, you only need the cd to start playing, then it can be removed (only if the full install option was used, if not copy all of the mpq files from the cd's to diablo ii install folder)
    2b. each person on battle.net needs different key(s) for diablo ii and lod expnsion
    any key can be used on uswest, useast, europe, and asia at the same time tho