Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324

Re: Microsoft Vista and DII issues

the cd's arent required for 1.12 and later

just copy the mpq files from the discs to your install folder and it will work

or create a www.battle.net account
    register your game keys
    then download and install using the new blizzard keys

IncGamers Member

I'm having issues starting my game. I installed and re-installed, but nothing ever comes up but little letters at the top left had side of my screen, but no window with the game... does anyone know how to fix this?

IncGamers Member

My (new) computer exhibits the same behaviour. However, if you wait around 3-4 minutes the game will suddenly execute as if it had been waiting on something.

I am running Windows 7, and have run into no end of problems. Most significantly is the Display and freezing screens, requiring reboot (reminds of 98, as I keep waiting to see BSD). I have since gone back to playing DII on my old computer running Win2000 Professional.

I use my new one to do everything else. I certainly hope D3 is compatible. Oh I almost forgot, I adjusted the Compatiblity to "run as" Windows XP SP2, I upgraded my Display driver, I downloaded a few things from Microsoft, and I upgraded my Direct X. None of this helped. Sorry.

try the glide wrapper
    http://www.svenswrapper.de/english/index.html

unzip the files to your d2 install location, run D2VidTst.exe, test and select glide
    should fix most display problems

IncGamers Member

Tried this and well....it does work sorta. I mean I can see it is displaying correctly for a minute but then goes back to glitched display. Thank you though. I will keep working with it. I didn't see a screen where I could adjust the display? All I see is Frame rate and an exit button. I will tweak a few things and see what I come up with. Thanks again.

IncGamers Member

I recently purchased an SSD and thus reinstalled Windows and all my applications. I thought I'd share the issues I had getting Diablo II to work on my Windows 7 x64 setup in case someone else comes across a similar problem.

TL;DR version: Install an older DirectX version (<=9.0c) before installing Diablo II on a Windows 7 machine (Windows 7 uses DirectX 11).

Note: This is all single player

Before purchasing my SSD I had Diablo II on my computer, but I hadn't played it since around Christmas. After I purchased my SSD the ever-elusive desire to play Diablo came back, so I decided to install it as well (including the expansion).

It installed fine, and when I ran it, a window appeared letting me know Windows had conflicts with the application. I already knew this and just continued. The game ran fine and I played for a couple hours before turning off my computer and heading to bed.

The next day after work I was eager to play. When I double-clicked on the desktop icon, the little ring appeared, then nothing. Nothing happened at all. It was as if I hadn't clicked on it. I tried a few more times and still nothing. Then about 40-45 seconds later, the game loaded. I didn't think too much of it as it was a minor inconvenience; however, when the game came to the title screen with the animated flames, it froze when I tried to proceed. I had to ctrl-alt-del and use Task Manager to close the program. I thought it was just a fluke and tried it a few more times. Same result.

I noticed that on the title screen with the flames, there was no sound. Usually right after you proceed past the Blizzard Entertainment and the Blizzard North splash screens, a music track begins and the title screen appears. The screen appears, but no track. That got me thinking it was a sound issue of some kind. Both splash screens had sound, though.

When I reinstalled on my SSD, I had updated my sound drivers to a newer version from March (previously I was using a version from August 2009). I thought maybe the new Realtek drivers were causing the issue so I rolled back to the ones I was using before and the issue continued. I tried using the generic audio drivers Windows installed and again, same issue. To confirm it was a sound issue, I disabled my sound card completely and sure enough the game started immediately and I was able to play.

At this point the desire to play was so great I forwent anymore troubleshooting and decided to play for a while. Not having sound sucked, but not being able to play sucked even more. This worked fine until I beat Andy and had to proceed to the next act. Whenever I tried to go east, the game would crash at the door sequence, and I would get the famous Unhandled Exception: Access Violation (c0000005), as well as another exception that I don't remember anymore.

Being unable to progress in the game forced me to look into the issue again. I Googled and scoured over these forums. I tried all the different compatibility modes, windowed mode, etc. to no avail. Either I enable sound and the game crashes at the title screen, or I disable sound and it crashes when I try to go to Act II. I read that removing the "-ns" switch from the executable remedies the act crash, but I had never used that switch. I could guess that it meant "no sound", which effectively is what I had.

Running out of options I read somewhere on the Blizzard tech support site that a game file could have been corrupted so try reinstalling the game. I decided to give it a shot. After reinstalling, updating to the latest patch, I ran the game and sure enough everything was fine. But I still had this sneaky suspicion that it had something to do with restarting my computer. So I tried it, and sure enough after reboot, Diablo II was crashing at the title screen again with sound enabled.

I was becoming frustrated at this point because I had it running just fine before the reinstall. I checked the log files and noticed the game made some comments about the DirectSound, and that got me thinking about DirectX. Suddenly I had a theory. I also play Call of Duty 4, which installs DirectX 9.0c as part of its installation. I wagered that if I installed that game, the older version of DirectX will allow Diablo to play. I installed the game, and sure enough Diablo was running again with sound. I was so happy. I played all through Act II in one sitting. Then I restarted my computer. Same thing happened. The game would crash at the title screen.

At this point my frustration had taken over so I dusted off an old PC and installed XP and Diablo II. It was my dedicated Diablo II computer. I played it fine for a few weeks, but its age really showed and playing a fishymancer with auras and mages and all sorts of stuff on screen caused the game to jitter quite a bit at times. I started a sorceress which helped the lag, but spamming orb didn't help.

It eventually dawned on me that, prior to my SSD, I had installed Call of Duty 4 before Diablo II (long before), and for some reason Diablo II doesn't "remember" the DirectX version or libraries or whatever it requires to play upon reboot. I decided to test this theory the other night. I uninstalled both games, rebooted, and installed COD4. I then installed Diablo, the expansion and updated to the latest patch. The game ran as expected. I now rebooted the computer and... it worked! I've now been playing on it for a couple of days.

I could probably just have installed DirectX 9.0c, but I play both Diablo II and Call of Duty 4, so I figured why not.

That's my incredibly long story. Thanks for reading, if you did. Hope it helps someone.

IncGamers Member

Windows 7 x64

Runs fine for me when I do the following:

Compatibility mode: Windows XP SP3

Run in a window if using DirectDraw.
    If I want to do fullscreen without glitches, I use Direct3D.