Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    IncGamers Member
    yup, installing it on my old pc that i'm giving to my bro

installed just fine.

IncGamers Member
    I have Vista Home Premium on an HP Pavillion desktop purchased a little over a week ago.

My installation efforts were very similar to Deathsrevenge; 2nd time inserting d2 LoD disk and failed install soon after. Check the back side, or shiny side of the LoD disk. Mine had several wear circles etched into the disk from years of usage on my old computer. Installing on a new computer and the install program just couldn't read the info it needed. Net result? Had to go buy a new set of disks. Installation successful.

My Vista related problems are two-fold:

Diablo program was terminated due to a background HP dialog box that was asking me if I wanted to update some files. Uhhh, no thanks Mr. H and Mr. P, now where did Diablo go?

Second problem seems to occur after playing (either on-line or SP) for a certain length of time. Twice, I've been playing well over an hour, maybe two, and suddenly the frame rate begins to drop. 15 or 20 seconds later, the game CTD.

Diablo: IncGamers Member nicro tower's Avatar
    what does ctd mean again?

and the only problem i seem to have with diablo 2 and vista is the centering... can't see the game name properly :(

IncGamers Member

soln..i think

Basically you need to install some keys.
    Windows XP have a set of keys under "etcetc/Explorer/Shell folders" in registry that are deleted in Vista. And diablo 2 looks for those keys for where the "start menu is" ...sure is stupid that it can't even find a start menu
    If it can't find the start menu it just dies. So to install just simply need to replace these deleted keys. It turned out to be a little complicated but i think I got it to work. Currently installing it right now, hopefully no glitches. Will post later..yes call it laziness.

IncGamers Member
    please tell us if it works out or not because i would like to find out where to get those keys

IncGamers Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nicro tower View Post
    what does ctd mean again?
    CTD = Crash to Desktop

and the only problem i seem to have with diablo 2 and vista is the centering... can't see the game name properly :(
    You might want to play around with your resolutions (display settings) a bit then start a Dii game. See what happens with different resolutions

IncGamers Member

registry editing

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp?s=3&c=12&t=12936

follow that instructions
    but instead of
    "
    C:\\Users\\%USERNAME%\\AppData\\Roaming\\Microsoft \\Windows\\Start Menu\\Programs
    "

I got lazy and just put in
    "
    C:\
    "

also u will need another string called
    "
    Desktop
    "

just like programs, u can be lazy and put

"C:\ "

there too

basically now the d2 cd will look for desktop at
    "C:\ "
    and add start menu icons to
    "C:\"

lol so if u want shortcuts u need to make them after the install, also it will add shortcuts in C:\ i think

im sure i missed something..but have fun and always try ur best

also make sure u run setup.exe as admin or is it install.exe? lol

regarding compatibility issues, if u right click any

"etcetc.exe"

program u can mess with some settings in the "compatibility" tab, i think i checked somethings there so D2 doesn't crash to the desktop right away lol.
    vista likes to trash n crash my old programs.

regarding the

"C:\
    "

instead

of

"C:\\Users\\%USERNAME%\\blahblahblah "

i actually think its mandatory to put C:\. anyways gl.
    everything i know. quotations marks not needed btw.

IncGamers Member
    I've also been having some compatability issues, but with XP. I start it up, and it takes 5-10 minutes to load the intro video, showing just a black screen in the meantime and freezing the computer. Same thing happens after I select a character type for Single Player.

Computer definitely has more than enough requirements... Windows XP, 3 GB of ram, more than enough space on the harddrive, excellent graphics card.

Has anyone else had this same problem? I know with some older games like Unlimited Adventures, the computer's too fast, so it needs to run through something like DSBox to run at the proper speed. Is that likely the case here, or is there something I'm missing?

IncGamers Member
    I've found that D2 will get slower the longer it I play on my laptop (CoreDuo, 2GB ram, intel 950 graphics, Vista Home Premium). I found that if I switched to desktop and checked the Windows Task Manager and it said Diablo was using 1.5gb of memory. So it seems Diablo 2 has a memory leak with Vista... at least on my system. I updated the graphics drivers for my system but that hasn't fixed anything. Next I'm thinking of trying the Virtual PC. I was trying to get winxp working off a flash drive but that wasn't working at all for some dang reason.

If anyone's found a solution to the memory leak let me know.

thx,
    gwyddn

IncGamers Member
    My laptop with XP and D2 on it broke and I just picked up a new Emachine with Vista basic and encountered the same problem as deathsrevenge. I'm going to try installing XP on the computer and making a dual-boot machine. I'll let you guys know how it turned out.