Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast
    Banned

Microsoft Vista and DII issues

*sticky for discussion/help/troubleshooting*

There are a lot of different theories regarding why Diablo 2 & LoD have rather a lot of problems under Vista. Leaving the problems to one side, as there is absolutely no point going into them here, the only demonstrably permanent and (nigh-on) absolute solution I am aware of is to use Microsoft Virtual PC, which is FREE, and run a shell of the operating system of your choice. Performance may be slightly impacted due to it running under a shell, but it's a damned sight better than some of the reports of DII / LoD running under Vista.

IncGamers Member
    i can play diablo2 with vista. But i need to change the compatibility and it will prompt up allow before running

Hm. I've had no issues whatsoever playing Diablo 2 and LoD. Compatability issues did not show either. The prompt is always there for really anything in Vista unless disabled.

IncGamers Member

Can even install Diablo 2

I can't even get it to install I keep getting this messgae
    :starry: :disappointed:

O_o
    Wow...uh...wow.

In that case, may I heartily recommend my earlier suggestion of Virtual PC (see top of thread). Provided, of course, that you have access to a legitimate copy of another operating system.

IncGamers Member
    I haven't tried installing d2 vista because I just copied the D2 folder from my old XP installation.

The only problem I had with D2 is that the game wouldn't start if I used the AERO Vista interface. If you have aero and want to run the game without problem just right-click on the D2 shortcut, go to the compatibilty tab and check the "Disable Desktop Composition". With that option ON I never had any problems.

IncGamers Member
    Im using Vista Home Premium no problem s.

IncGamers Member
    im using vista home i think on a new hp laptop i picked up about a week ago

i can install d2 fine no problems, but once i attempt to install diablo 2 expansion, problems come up.

here's what is happening

i put in the exp disk, reads it, begins installing, asks for d2 play, reads it, goes halfway through installation no problems, it then asks for the d2 exp disk again, this is when problems happen, it reads it, gets about 4 bubbles of installation in, then asks for the d2 exp disk again even though it is already in, i've tried reinstalling d2 numerous times, and this happens every time.

any advice?

Have you tried installing LoD on a different PC? It sounds more like it's a problem with the disk, rather than the laptop.