Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    IncGamers Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sequoia View Post
    viable in the sense that it can be done...as long as we keep in mind that a lot of builds can be pulled off, but i wouldn't say its one of the more effective builds for pvm
    I disagree here i have a bone nec in sp that i built from scratch not muled items that is very effective.But i built him my way max bone spirte bone spear teeth and dim vison rest in bone wall.You dim vison more then the whole screen then merc clay golem tank boss of pack kill it then take yopur time killing rest of screen safe and easyUp to players 3 to 5 games.Woulndt advise higher then p5 it takes too much time.and i have onloy 4 to skills right now in act 4 hell and still going strong.This is hc hence i chose to max dim vison for safety.

IncGamers Member
    I have a pvm Bone nec and he kills in hell fine, I have a point into confuse, with +skills it has a nice radius, cast it, spam spear until a couple have died then spam ce, it works fast for me.

Banned
    Amplify Damage + CE with +skills will kill faster.

IncGamers Member

Re: pure Bone Necro in PVM?

Hi guys.
    I play a bone necro that can do hell dificuly easy. Ill give the build and gear in a sec but I can't remember the stat distribution.

Build
    20 teeth
    20 spear
    20 spirit
    20 bone armor
    20 wall
    1 CE
    1 amp

Use teeth in norm cuz it wrecks and spear for pvm, spirit for pvp.
    Everything here is for synergys but I left out pre-reqs. Put extra points in various curses and maybe bp. Anyway I have all stats lev 16+ and all bone stats 37+ its an amazing build I came up with in study hall lol.

Gear
    134 shako with ptopaz for mf
    DS nigma
    210 homonculus
    Trangs gloves (you could probably find better...)
    Bone runeword
    1nec skilz ammy with res and 10% fcr
    Bk ring and res/10% fcr ring
    Arachs belt
    Infernostride boots (I wasn't sure what to use for boots but it works great)
    15/18 necro torch
    Mid/high gheeds
    3 pnb gcs

Merc
    act 2 merc of your choice
    MUST have 16+ med insight (I have near infinate mana with my lev 18 insight and infinate telly)
    125 shako with ptopaz (I suggest an um rune)
    I don't have anything good for armor right now (vipermagi skin :/) but get sumthing with high res and def.

G2g im not sure if im done this but ill come back and tweek gl guys

IncGamers Member

Here's my thoughts on the topic:
    1. No matter what your original intention is or was, a bonemancer is not a PvM build. It will, at some point, be a PvP build. You might start off wanting to Dim Vision monsters and Spear them to death, but at some point you might develop a taste for PvP... and why bother leveling yet another bonemancer for dueling purposes? Just stick to the PvP build.
    2. A bonemancer is not an item find build. There are other builds more suited to that purpose, and since your build isn't a "natural" for PvM you're not going to have spare gear spots to dedicate to magic find. In other words, a bonemancer is not good "naked" for PvM. Those bonuses to skill points are important. The purpose of PvM for this character is to gain levels for later PvP dominance, and maybe have some fun while you're doing it.
    3. Do NOT put EVEN ONE skill point out of position "for PvM purposes." You want your bonemancer to have maximum PvP viability. The primary purpose of PvM for a bonemancer, as stated earlier, is to gain levels as quick as possible. This means: to put skill points where you need them for PvP, as quick as possible. Assuming nothing in the Summoning tree (which is actually wrong, Clay is good in PvP, but just go with me here), you'll want 102 skills in the P&B tab as soon as possible. That means you'll want to get to clvl91 ASAP. Even a single point out of place means you'll have to PvM from clvl91 to clvl92 to replace that point. If you've never done that before, let me just say that is a LOT of work.
    4. So if you can't put dedicate points to PvM skills, what do you do instead? The correct answer is: get the skills through staffmods. Between a wand and a head, you can gain access to up to 6 skills you haven't sunk a point into, and you can bypass prerequisites this way too. If you want to have Decrepify, Attract, Revives with Skeletal Mastery, and Amplify Damage, that's perfectly possible with the right equipment. Dim Vision is available too. Pay attention to the shops and wait until you find a Venomous wand with the appropriate skills. Just stash your PvP gear and use your "crappy" PvM gear while you level. If you haven't built your bonemancer yet, pay attention to "crap" heads gotten while leveling through Act 1 Normal, as they could end up being very good even in Hell for a bonemancer by granting access to low-level skills like Amplify Damage and Skeletal Mastery.
    5. +skills (especially +P&B skills tab) items are important because you want your one hard point in Corpse Explosion to have roughly the same boom as the maxed CE of a dedicated skellimancer. You won't have minions, but you'll have skillers and all that other PvP bonemancer gear. Might as well use it productively in PvM. Even if you have a Harlequin Crest, you might want to give serious thought to keeping a good +3 P&B skills circlet, for example, especially if it has other juicy mods like FCR.
    6. Since you're spamming not just Teeth/Spear/Spirit but also CE, you're going to have mana issues. Since you're going with a rather tight PvP build, dedicating points to energy is strictly verboten, and potions slow down leveling. For this reason you'll REALLY want an Insight polearm on your merc. Even if Hell monsters have so much life that you can't kill them quickly, you should have fast cast and almost unlimited mana; just spam until they one drops, then CE the rest of the mob into oblivion. Insight means spamming endlessly without the annoyance of worrying about refilling your mana globe.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by GUARDIAN KELEMVOR View Post
    Hi guys.
    I play a bone necro that can do hell dificuly easy. Ill give the build and gear in a sec but I can't remember the stat distribution.

Build
    20 teeth
    20 spear
    20 spirit
    20 bone armor
    20 wall
    1 CE
    1 amp

Use teeth in norm cuz it wrecks and spear for pvm, spirit for pvp.
    Everything here is for synergys but I left out pre-reqs. Put extra points in various curses and maybe bp. Anyway I have all stats lev 16+ and all bone stats 37+ its an amazing build I came up with in study hall lol.
    You'd actually get both better damage from synergies AND better absorption on your Bone Armor if you take 19 points out of Bone Armor and put them in Bone Prison.

IncGamers Member Grumpy Old Wizard's Avatar

Some say Bone Necros are just for PvP but I enjoy bone necros for PvM. The bone walls/prisons make for excellent crowd control. Although when you are playing multiplayer you have to take into consideration how your walls are going to affect your teammates. You don't want to trap another character with your walls.

When starting a new bonemancer I do not pump teeth. I put a single point there and get a wand with teeth staff mods and use it and corpse explosion for a while or mele until I pick up the Spear skill.

The first skills I max are bone spear, bone wall, and bone prison. This gets you a strong bone wall more quickly. After that bone spirit and leftovers in teeth. I get a hard point in amplify damage. I don't mind shopping wands at normal act2 drogan to get a good bone wand with a curse. Also shoping for a teleport staff is necessary in case you get traped in your walls.

Aside from amplify damage, you may want a hard point in dim vision. It is very useful for shutting down gloams and archers. Depending on how "pure" you want to be you can also pick up a clay golem and a point in revives.

Oh yeah, as somebody else said, don't point but one point in bone armor. It will be quite strong from all the synergies with only one point there.

Quote Originally Posted by billking View Post
    Here's my thoughts on the topic:
    1. No matter what your original intention is or was, a bonemancer is not a PvM build.
    Bone necro is the best key hunter. It is best caster as well. I know that hammer does more damage, but necro can choose target. Hammer with his dizzzy, drunken spell reqires weird playing skills.
    IMO PvM are characters which attack more then 1 monster at once. Bone spear has 100% piercing attack - very usefull in PvM.
    CE is one of the most useful skill in D2 but it is not necessery pump there more then 1 pt. With stuff you should have about 15 skill lvl - enough to kill magic immune Horadrims.
    Revieves are necessery to hold bosses not moving or attacking you, when you shoot them. This is most comfortable - no other characters can do it (druid summons die very fast when revieves are immortal). Anyway best revieves source is "white" wand.
    Not P&B usefull skills - AD works well with CE, LT helps when your merc is in danger, CGolem and GMastery not very usefull, but looks nice

Last and only disadvantage - bone necro cannot kill ubers (only UIzual and sometimes UDuriel)

I can’t imagine why people are saying that a bone necro is not a good PvM character. I have made a number of hardcore untwinked (even single pass) bone necros and walked to and through Hell with no problems. What you get:

1. More than 1K magic damage (even with miserable gear)
    2. At least 620 recastable hit points (with just one point in bone armor)
    3. A recastable minion (one point in clay golem, golem mastery, and summon resist works great)
    4. An area of effect weapon that deals physical damage (and you don’t even have to go out of your way to get CE)
    5. Any curse you want (I would only suggest amp, but confuse is helpful with magic immunes . . . but then so is CE)
    6. Mission adaptable minions (I’ve used revives to kill Pandemonium Diablo, more than once)
    7. Bone wall, bone prison (saying “crowd control” hardly does these skills justice)

My first character after the last ladder reset was a bone necro (I wanted a character that could handle anything this side of uber tristram), more than a hundred Hell Baal walks later (most solo) he’s still going strong. I would definitely recommend this build to you and anyone else who is looking for a versatile, durable, and item independent character.

IncGamers Member

While Bonenecro can survive really well, he does not have great killing power like Hammerdin and Sorc. He is more demanding on gears to be effective, making it difficult to fit in MF gears without significantly reducing the killing speed. Bone spear is good in some places, but I find it kill slow if monsters are scattered around.