Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Re: Clerv's PvM Auradin Guide

Thanks for the feedback, Clervis.

I do not have a Faith Merc...currently am using a Might Act II Merc who has a Crescent Moon polearm equipped since I figured with my Conviction Aura he would benefit well from it. I break pretty much all lightning immunes so far, which means Crescent Moon would lower the resist even more for him from that point, but maybe he'd be better off with a different pokey stick? Was considering switching him over to a Defiance Merc so I'd have that when not using Exile since the defense is rather nice, and while I think I have leftover runes for Faith I'll have to check and see for sure.

I keep forgetting about Treachery as an armor since I always equate it to Assassins, but yeah...wouldn't just that 45% IAS put me into the 5 frame with the Caduceus I am using right now? It's been a while since I checked IAS breakpoints and this Paladin is something a bit new as I have used Amazons more than Pallies in the past. If it does then I can forgo the gloves and use an extra pair of Dracul's Grasp gloves I have on another character. I do want to keep the Rift Caduceus since it works so well and with it I would have Cold, Fire, and Lightning damage which means there's very little that I can't stand up against, and I don't think I'll take this guy to Ubers by the looks of the ladder reset time...if it hasn't reset already.

If I cannot get a Faith Merc should I stick with my Act II mercenary with Might, or switch to Defiance? Also, should I keep his Crescent Moon polearm, or switch it out for something else? I was curious about Obedience since it does have an Enchant proc on it, and for the merc the polearm offers good damage and quite a bit of crushing blow, too, though Crescent Moon is nice as well for what it offers.

IncGamers Member

Crescent Moon isn't going to do much for you or your merc. The -lightning resists only applies to the lightning damage he does, which will be minimal even if he has a dream of his own (heh). But it won't help you. You're better off going with Doom or a Holy Freeze merc because the target slow stacks, bring them to a crawl, I think. A Might or Pride wielding merc won't do you much good since your physical damage is almost non-existent. A Defiance merc with Doom, will be the ultimate defense, but a Faith merc will give you a huge offensive boost. Treachery will bring you down from 6 fpa to 5 fpa, but throw in the Faith merc and you're down to 4 fpa. Obedience is a cool weapon for a merc, but not for the Enchant. Slvl 21 Enchant gives +200% AR, but only 74-96 fire damage. Hope this helps.

IncGamers Member

Yeah, I knew the lightning reduction on the CM wouldn't help me, but figured it might give him a little extra punch. Never did consider Doom...that Holy Freeze isn't bad at all and he's almost always next to me anyway (when he isn't running into a wall because he can't be bothered to go around it or THROUGH THE DAMN DOOR LITERALLY TWO FEET AWAY FROM HIM! ) ...Boy I hope they fix the follower AI in Diablo III...but that's another subject entirely there.

Ok, so I will get at least one frame lower, which will help, and if I can get a Faith bow I'll give an Act I Merc a try, though I gotta admit I love those Act II mercs for how good their auras are. If not, maybe I'll give Doom a shot...not bad damage on it from what I see and a whopping 45% IAS to boot to make him hit faster. Heck, if I can get a Faith merc then she can wear the Vampire Gaze and Fortitude armor my current mercenary has for her own protection and Forty goes well with Faith.

**EDIT**

Nevermind. Saw that the Fanatacism aura roll on Faith doesn't matter as any level will work to hit the 4 FPA break point.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tanakeah View Post
    Nevermind. Saw that the Fanatacism aura roll on Faith doesn't matter as any level will work to hit the 4 FPA break point.
    For zeal with the Cadillac of scepters you'll need 48 IAS with Slvl 12 Fanat, 46 IAS for Slvl 13, and 44 IAS for Slvl 14 & 15. So that's either Treachery (slvl 14 or 15) or Highlords + 20 IAS gloves + 4-8 IAS from another source (Nosferatu's or Goldwrap belts seem to be the only option). But a move from 5 fpa to 4 fpa represents a 25% increase in damage output. From 6 fpa (where you're currently at), that's a 42% increase in damage output. Not to mention your Life Tap will proc that much faster, drastically helping your survivability (and your orb rate).

IncGamers Member

Yeah, that is a bummer that it's so close, but if I can't nab a Faith Merc then I'll at least get Treachery and go with maybe a Doom Polearm for my current merc and switch to Defiance for his aura. That way I can keep the IAS gloves for someone else and use my Drac's for the Life Tap, though if I switched to Lawbringer at times for the Decrepify proc that would overwrite it...GAH! >< Choices, choices, choices. :P

IncGamers Member

I've honestly never been a huge fan of the Act II merc. I just feel hugely inconvenienced everytime they die. Maybe I'm being petty. That's why I prefer Act 1 mercs. Faith is cool because it gives you Fanat and some skeleton lackies. Ice, my personal favorite, gives Holy Freeze and regular Frost Novas so people come to a stand still. But Ice isn't really necessary if you are throwing out orbs, but Holy Freeze will be a huge contribution to the orbs. Keep in mind that if you use Lawbringer or Reaper's Toll for their Decrepify, and you also have Holy Freeze and orbs, some of that will be wasted in terms of how much the enemies are slowed.

IncGamers Member

I have a Frost Maiden Bowazon with an Ice runeword bow and it is so much fun to use not just for the Holy Freeze, but the Frost Novas all over the place. They might not be uber powerful, but they go off very frequently when using Strafe or Freezing Arrow and it's fun watching them pop up all over the place. I actually like Ice a bit more than Faith in terms of fun though Faith is definitely one of the best runewords I've used on my Bowa, and the skeletons are actually rather durable and can tank for a bit, which is nice.

It's funny, I've never been fond of Act I mercs myself and always liked the Act II guys aside from them being a bit clumsy with the AI and hugging walls. The worst I've encountered with them is dying to Nih's corpse explosion and the Tomb Vipers (but then again, their poison trails suck for any AI merc), and in Baal's throne room with the council minions that constantly summon hydra heads. Always getting into Baal's curse range, and even with max fire resist the hydras rip him up good.

Still, as much as I'd like to try the Act I merc, I don't think Faith will be able to be obtained this time around, so looks like I'll be going with an Act II mercenary Defiance style aura. Doom does look like the best choice for me at the moment and while i know the HF aura will overlap a bit with Lawbringer, I think the wasted slow is an acceptable 'loss' for all the other goodies the runeword offers.

**EDIT**

Clervis, one last question. I know you were talking about getting an Act 1 Faith Merc for getting to 4 FPA for my setup with the Treachery armor. Now, I did make it a bit ago, but when looking at an IAS calculator for a Caduceus weapin it says I need 142 IAS to hit the 4 FPA breakpoint. Treachery provides 45% and if I got Faith, then I'd get between 31-33% IAS. So my question is, at the most I'd have 78% IAS...how would just the Faith merc alone get me to the 4 FPA breakpoint? Were you thinking of a Phase Blade, because that would work from the calculations you were giving me?

Last edited by Tanakeah; 30-03-2012 at 03:38.

IncGamers Member

Fanaticism's IAS doesn't add straight on to IAS, it's different and lowers the required IAS for breakpoints. You can look up the exact formula and mechanics, but I always just use http://diablo2.ingame.de/tips/calcs/...lc_english.php
    That should save you a little time.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Clervis View Post
    Fanaticism's IAS doesn't add straight on to IAS, it's different and lowers the required IAS for breakpoints. You can look up the exact formula and mechanics, but I always just use http://diablo2.ingame.de/tips/calcs/...lc_english.php
    That should save you a little time.
    Ahhhhhhhhh...I see what you mean now. Yeah, didn't quite understand how the calculator worked at first, but now I see what you are talking about after playing around with it for a bit. If I can get my hands on an Act I merc with at least level 14 Fanta on a Faith Bow I'll give her a spin. Right now, I have an Act II Defiance merc with a Doom polearm that I managed to scrape together and so far it's been quite helpful to say the least. The Holy Freeze aura has helped and the damage he can output is nice, too...that and since I dropped my Dragon armor for Dream I re-did my skill points and now my Zeal has a range of something like...I forget exactly, but I think the top-end damage at my current level 80 is about 8,000+ or so. That and the jump from 6FPA to 5FPA has made a noticeable difference in attack speed and more Frozen Orbs are going off thanks to it.

Oh yeah...not sure if it's just me or the game mechanics for how hits are checked, but sometimes when I use Zeal and I clearly hit an enemy it only registers one hit instead of going into the 5-hit animation that it should. I noticed this happening on another Paladin I had when fighting Baal. I'd be hitting him, but only would get the first hit off even though I clealry had Zeal hotkeyed and was using only that.

IncGamers Member

I dunno. Maybe you ran out of mana?