Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    I like your guide. It is well thought out and written. I plan to follow it in making my pally.

One thing troubles me. If I have base strength, will my gear give me the 189 strength needed for HoJ in a Legendary Mallet mace? Or are there other alternatives when making an HoJ?

IncGamers Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Samohtnnam View Post
    I like your guide. It is well thought out and written. I plan to follow it in making my pally.

One thing troubles me. If I have base strength, will my gear give me the 189 strength needed for HoJ in a Legendary Mallet mace? Or are there other alternatives when making an HoJ?
    HoJ is best suited in a Phase Blade. You might have to look around and do some trading to find a 4 socket Phase Blade, but it is the best option on the basis of its weapon speed and the fact that it is indestructable. I would not recommend HoJ in any other base weapon.

As far as strength goes. You'll need enough to wear your armor after Anni, Torch, gloves, ring, etc. but your shield, helm and other heavy equipment can be heavier thanks to the strength you get from dragon. Don't make my mistake which was only have enough strength to wear your armor after you armor bonus. It's a big pain in the butt when you need to recover your body.

Thanks for the help =). I just noticed your guide says to use phase blade for HoJ.

I am still trying to decide between building a Zealot or Auradin. Zealot gives phys damage, leeching for tanking, and resists. Auradin gives elemental damage (good against phy immunes) and pulse damage. Can you help in my comparison?

I am concerned the Auradin will be lacking resistances and mana leeching compared to a Zealot. With gear such as the two Dreams, Anni, and torch, I see that I may get 40-60 resistances. Yes, Mara's will help a lot, but is hard to obtain. Since I need 225 for max res in hell, I'm wondering if I need to run around with Sanctuary aura going, and miss out on Conviction. Even with Sanc aura I'll have 153-173 res in Hell. Without, I'll need so many resist charms to compensate. Am I missing something in your build info (I have read your guide twice so far, need to read again lol)? As for the mana leeching, is it needed? The mana increase from gear should allow for a good regen for Zeal right?

Thanks for all your help =).

IncGamers Member
    As far as Zealots go, I believe, though I am a little biased, that Auradins are far superior. As I pointed out in the guide, the damage output between a Zealot and an Auradin is pretty similar; however, Auradins also have pulse damage, ctc hydras, and ctc firestorm which are all very helpful. Additionally, an Auradin's attack is three pronged: Lightning, Fire, and a little physical. A Zealot on the other hand will have problems with Physical Immunes. But the biggest destroyer of Zealots is Iron Maiden. IM will kill a Zealot in one hit. A suped-upped Auradin can deal a good 20 hits before he goes under, making him possibly the best melee character for Chaos runs. On the other hand, when not dealing with Phys Immunes or IM Zealots can be indestructable thanks to Life Tap, Auradins are a little more fragile but still quite durable. Essentially what this all means is that Zealot kills fast and well but comes across some situations in which he is incapable or much less efficient in killing/surviving. The Auradin kills fast and well but when built correctly and used tactfully, he can overcome all situations with ease.

Other things you can check out are Niner's Whateverdin. It's a pretty good compromise between an Auradin and a Zealot.

As far as leeching goes, it really isn't a problem. I have a dual leech ring with 2% mana and I never have problems what-so-ever. Zeal is really cheap in the area of mana cost. So you just need some but not a lot.

As far as resists go. You'll need 175 for Poison and Cold, 190 for Lightning, and 185 for Fire. I'm not sure where you got 225. But personally, my Auradin uses a few charms but not many. Here's the break down of the resists you get from your pieces of gear.

Anya Quest (30)
    Helm (5-20)
    Shield-Base (5-45)
    Shield-Dream Mods (5-20)
    Anni (10-20)
    Torch (10-20)

So all your essential gear gives you (65-155). Always shoot to get the highest resist when choosing your gear.

Other places to get gear are:
    Mara's (20-30) [or if you went my direction, Highlords (35 Light resist)]
    Rare Ring (up to +11 all and/or 3x+30 to individual resist)
    Gloves-if not Drac's (up to 3x+30 to individual resist)
    Boots-if not Gore's (up to 3x+30 to individual resist)

If you are picky enough reaching max isn't that difficult. And don't be afraid to supplant your gear with charms, that's always the best place to get resists, in my opinion.

Thanks Clervis for your help.

One last question. How does the Auradins defense stack up? I know your guide states the auradin is not a glass cannon. Just wondering if you can take a few hits like a ww/conc barbarian, or if I should use hit and run tactics like my meteorb sorc. I'll re-read your guide again for more tactic pointers.

IncGamers Member
    I'm not a big PvP fan myself. This guide was written for PvM because there was no guide for a PvM Auradin. If you'd like to find out more about it check out Masterazn's PvP Auradin Guide.

I have dabbled in the PvP with my Auradin just for kicks. And it is actually pretty impressive. I obliterated a number of people who built their characters for the sole purpose of PvP. Weaknesses that I spotted are, like you said, defense. He has low defense because he doesn't use the Armor powerhouses like Exile or Fort. So, Barb's using WW usually cut me down pretty fast, but they aren't that hard to avoid. Fortunately, most elemental attacks are pretty muted because of your high resists. The other weakness was AR. I'm use to HoJ's Ignore Target Defense, so my AR is around 2k. Grab some AR charms, Angelic Ring and Ammy, and/or Demon Limb (for Enchant charges) for this situation.

Most of the time I just let my pulse damage start wearing on people and then smite them to oblivion, but there might be better ways of getting the kill.

IncGamers Member
    I just got the rest of the runeword gear for my Auradin, and I have to say that this guy is retardedly fun. I did a few NM Baal runs, and I just sit in the middle of the monsters and whack away. Lightning mobs? No problem! Break out the maxed Resist Lightning aura!

I do think I need a lot more life leech, though. And more resists. My resists are only ~40 in Nightmare, and the Dream shield I got, I rolled a measely +7 resist all. :( Unfortunately, I don't have the runes at the moment to reroll the shield.

Anyways, this is possibly the most fun build I've had since my poison necro I made years ago. It's sooooo awesome. Thanks for the guide, Clerv.

IncGamers Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Kerensky View Post
    I just got the rest of the runeword gear for my Auradin, and I have to say that this guy is retardedly fun. I did a few NM Baal runs, and I just sit in the middle of the monsters and whack away. Lightning mobs? No problem! Break out the maxed Resist Lightning aura!

I do think I need a lot more life leech, though. And more resists. My resists are only ~40 in Nightmare, and the Dream shield I got, I rolled a measely +7 resist all. :( Unfortunately, I don't have the runes at the moment to reroll the shield.

Anyways, this is possibly the most fun build I've had since my poison necro I made years ago. It's sooooo awesome. Thanks for the guide, Clerv.
    Hey your welcome. One tip on that shield though; you should find a Paladin only shield to stick it in (I don't know if you just didn't mention that, or you are using a regular shield). My shield, for example, has 63 resist all: 45 from base shield, and 18 from the Dream Runeword. If you're that low on resists in Nightmare, you're really going to have to boost it for Hell difficulty. Resists aren't something that comes easy with this build, but if you are picky and vigilant it can be done.

IncGamers Member
    Yeah, I have it in a +30 resist pally shield. It was the best I could find at the time, and I'm still looking for one. I'm also wearing a blue amulet that gives +11 resists since I don't have anything better. Pretty sad, I know. :(

It's odd because I have more problems with the mobs before a boss than I do with the actual boss. Andariel, I two-shot. Duriel, samething. Mephisto and the rest, I suspect are similar but I haven't gotten around to soloing them yet.

Yeah, I need to work on my resists. A Mara's would help, as would a torch or Anni, but those are dreadfully expensive. -.-

We shall see!

Oh, is my AR supposed to be only around 1500-1700? Granted, I've only got a couple +skills, so that could be a problem.

Last edited by Alex Kerensky; 14-06-2007 at 14:43.

Since this would seem the place that ppl who know would be, about what does an auradin cost in hr's? heres what im thinking of - hoj pb, dragon dusk shroud, dream bv + sacred targe, low verdungos, gore riders, raven + dual leech, lowest maras, draculs, cta. any info would be much appreciated as i am just coming back and lost when it comes to trade values. Thanks, WoT edit: also, is 4 frame attack really needed? or is it just preference? same thing for merc, does this build Need a merc to survive?

Last edited by imbaaack; 16-06-2007 at 04:22.