Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

View Poll Results: What do you think of changing a sound or two in the game?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Changing the sounds of skills like Teleport is completely harmless and unbeneficial, it's OK.

29 61.70%
  • Changing only the sound of Teleport would be OK (if others', please specify).

3 6.38%
  • Changing any of the sounds would require it's own modification tag, like RWM.

8 17.02%
  • Changing any of the sounds should not be done.

7 14.89%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Question Changing few game sounds

More than a year ago I couldn't help but to associate continuous teleporting's sound to the badger song, and I was cracking to the idea.

Now, with more courage and knowledge, I did a test and replaced the Teleport sound with the word "badger" from that song, and it worked flawlessly (like I assumed, as I knew what I was doing).

In short, it works identically to RWM and RRM; the .wav (standard Waveform Audio) file from the data\... folder is loaded instead of the .wav file from the .MPQ file. No game files need to be edited. The sample needs to be in a specific format, which I won't give away as it could be seen as instructing people to do modifications, maybe, well unlikely so, I'm just being careful.

I realize that this could be abused by changing rune dropping sound to something that can't be missed, like me yelling "OMG A RUNE HAS DROPPED", but that's something I won't do, because I wouldn't want to get any actual benefit from it. Changing the sounds of skills like Teleport, Blessed Hammer and Charge would not add any benefit to the player, but would add amusement.

A totally harmless, simple, unbeneficial and amusing "modification". I do not think it would even need it's own modification tag, as there is no benefit at all from this mod. I'd love to get to planning what sounds to use with Teleport, Charge and Blessed Hammer. "Hork" too. : P

NOTE: I am bringing this to the public because I do occasionally MP and trade, and want to know people's opinion before starting using the edited sound(s).

If you have read and understood all, or at least most of the text above, and voted or are going to vote for number 4., please specify your reasoning.

EDIT: It seems that after voting in the poll you will get forwarded to another thread named "V/T or T/V for general pub ownage?". A forum bug I assume.

2nd edit: @ Moderators: I can send the sound file along with some more "technical" information about it if either of you wish, although I assume you understand how it is done.

Last edited by Denton; 04-03-2007 at 23:42.

I think such a change would need to be classified as another mod like RRM or RWM simply because it's doing what RRM is doing, not altering anything in the gameplay but only visual, or in this case audio, files.

It's an interesting idea and you're right could be abused badly. However I'd be highly amused to have my paladin walk into the Blood Moor and instead of his normal boring phrase say something like "Let's get it on".

Regardless not a mod I'd actually use, but you could have a lot of fun with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mursilis View Post
    I think such a change would need to be classified as another mod like RRM or RWM simply because it's doing what RRM is doing, not altering anything in the gameplay but only visual, or in this case audio, files.
    True, both change something. But, changing the rune text's colour does add benefit to the game, making runes a lot easier to see. Changing the sounds of skills like Teleport do not add any benefit to the gaming, other than some amusement.

Hm.. if you're not changing the sounds that occur on a drop then I don't see any harm. I mean that if you actually change the squishy sound a runedrop makes to something like a scream of ''RUNELOL'' then it might help you out. Changing the sound of teleport doesn't benefit or change anything at all. I think you'll probably change it back before long anyway.

D2 Assassin, Barbarian
    & Single Player & SP Trading
    I don't see the point. Except to get rid of the annoying Hammers sound. Grief, that's grating.

Edit: I am really looking forward to the Vets having their tars back. Those replacement ones are just freaky.

City of Titans - Smashed the goal - More info here

"Retail made me learn to despise humanity and welcome the apocalypse. Still waiting world."
    - Kellic Youdontneedmylastname

Quote Originally Posted by Sint Nikolaas View Post
    Hm.. if you're not changing the sounds that occur on a drop then I don't see any harm. I mean that if you actually change the squishy sound a runedrop makes to something like a scream of ''RUNELOL'' then it might help you out. Changing the sound of teleport doesn't benefit or change anything at all. I think you'll probably change it back before long anyway.
    Yes, to clarify: I do realize that changing sounds like the sound that runes make when they drop, can potentially add benefit, and I would not even consider doing that. I am only planning to change sounds that would not change game's balance at all, like Teleport and Charge, and I'm not planning to use any sounds like "BEEP", but approximately as long and loud sounds as the originals are.

Additional clarification: If "enough" people vote choices 3 or 4, people that do MP and/or trade that is, I won't change the sounds, and no one else should either, as it would only separate the community further. On a personal note, I'd wish to see if other people share my view on this modification, that how insignificant it is, adding only amusement to the game, which shouldn't be a reason enough to classify it as a modification like RWM, RRM and CRM are.

Last edited by Denton; 05-03-2007 at 00:10.

I would like to edit the Barbarian's warcry noises. Having a Barbarian throw his arms out, throw the neck back, and let out an all-conquering belch would be awesome.

Or, if you use your imagination, you could probably think of a suitable noise for the necro's poison nova...

IncGamers Member SimontheBulletFreak's Avatar
    Change teleport to a farting sound and I would definitely get on board :grin:

Quote Originally Posted by SimontheBulletFreak View Post
    Change teleport to a farting sound and I would definitely get on board :grin:
    That's one good option. I could change it every now and then to keep Baaling or whatever that includes excessive use of teleport a bit more fun. It'd be hilarious while PvP'ing, although initially it could make me lose concentration.

Another example is editing the sound's length so that it's seamlessly played while tele'ing at let's say 8 frames, which is exactly every 320 milliseconds, I could put in some music that would loop always when teleport would be used continuously. : p

Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    A totally harmless, simple, unbeneficial and amusing "modification". I do not think it would even need it's own modification tag, as there is no benefit at all from this mod.
    Agreed... but you will never get majority of people to agree with that...