Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 30 of 340 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080130 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by buttershug View Post
    Watch the Jack Nicholson as The Joker Batman, then watch The Shining, and see if you can watch it without thinking, Hey! it's the Joker vs Olive Oyl.
    Haha, yeah. I know.

Bound (1996)

Rating - 7/10.

Plot - Corky, a tough female ex con and her lover Violet concoct a scheme to steal millions of stashed mob money and pin the blame on Violet's crooked boyfriend Caeser.

Quick Review - The plot is fairly solid, and its a gorgeous looking film, with some solid acting performances. I went through the whole film thinking that the supporting actress with the weird voice was Renée Zellweger, but it turns out it wasn't. Anywho, a decent film that passed the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Machina View Post
    Bound (1996)

Rating - 7/10.

Plot - Corky, a tough female ex con and her lover Violet concoct a scheme to steal millions of stashed mob money and pin the blame on Violet's crooked boyfriend Caeser.

Quick Review - The plot is fairly solid, and its a gorgeous looking film, with some solid acting performances. I went through the whole film thinking that the supporting actress with the weird voice was Renée Zellweger, but it turns out it wasn't. Anywho, a decent film that passed the time.
    I have always wanted to see that but never have. I should put it in my queue.

I am curious Steadman, why you think CH is dated. I really didn't find it dated much at all. I find myself strangely wanting to own this movie.

I really hope someone gets to see Grindhouse this weekend and can review it. At least Eli Roth is only doing the "commercials".

On another note, Hostel 2 comes out in June and wouldn't you know it, the director of CH is making a cameo. First Miike and now Deodato. I will have to see it just for his cameo.

IncGamers Member Ash Housewares's Avatar
    The Cheap Detective (1978)

Synopsis - A spoof of Maltese Falcon, Casablanca, Chinatown, The Big Sleep, etc.

Review - When someone who loves a genre spoofs it, you usually have a fun movie, and so was the case here. What a great cast, alot of my favorite actresses were here, some very funny women, Madeline Kahn, Eileen Brennan, Stockard Channing, and Ann-Margret. Peter Falk headlines this great cast, and does the superb job you'd expect. My only concern is how accesible a movie this is to someone who doesn't know the movies being spoofed but for a noir lover it was a fun one.

7/10

Bound (1996)

Rating - 7/10.

Ah, thanks for reminding me, been wanting to see that for a while.

The Wachowski brothers made it? Ewww... well, I'll give it a try anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash Housewares View Post
    The Cheap Detective (1978)

Synopsis - A spoof of Maltese Falcon, Casablanca, Chinatown, The Big Sleep, etc.

Review - When someone who loves a genre spoofs it, you usually have a fun movie, and so was the case here. What a great cast, alot of my favorite actresses were here, some very funny women, Madeline Kahn, Eileen Brennan, Stockard Channing, and Ann-Margret. Peter Falk headlines this great cast, and does the superb job you'd expect.
    Ooh, sounds fun.

P.S. You should check out Under a Killing Moon. It was pretty good, you'll need DOSBox though.

My only concern is how accesible a movie this is to someone who doesn't know the movies being spoofed but for a noir lover it was a fun one.

7/10
    Well if they haven't seen the originals I'm sure they've seen one of the bazillion film noir/<insert other genre here> fusion movies that have been made. I think the only genre of movie that hasn't been crossed with noir is a Western.

I'm probably wrong about that, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dondrei View Post
    The Wachowski brothers made it? Ewww... well, I'll give it a try anyway.
    That was billed as its greatest asset on the adverts running up to the film

BattleTag Zarski843
    Robin Hood: Men In Tights (1993)
    Rating: 10/10
    Fun: 9/10

A spoof of the classic Robin Hood tale.

This movie was my favorite as a kid, i used to watch it over and over and never get tired of it. Seeing it again really gave me nostalgia. Its still funny to this day, but in the really stupid way. Its just the old Robin Hood tale except adding lots of dumb jokes and modern references, but it still keeps me laughing and smiling the whole way. I also didnt notice that the black guy that travels with Robin Hood was Dave Chappelle, this is from 1993, and he looks and sounds exactly the same way he did 14 years ago. I found that kind of interesting, great movie though, to me, its a classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dondrei View Post
    Well if they haven't seen the originals I'm sure they've seen one of the bazillion film noir/<insert other genre here> fusion movies that have been made. I think the only genre of movie that hasn't been crossed with noir is a Western.

I'm probably wrong about that, too.
    one of the nice things about homage films is they can get people interested in the original

noir western? maybe Dead Man but I would classify the genre of that one as 'Jim Jarmusch movie'

That was billed as its greatest asset on the adverts running up to the film
    Ergh.

Anyway, shouldn't all the lesbian getting-it-awhn stuff be the most advertisable asset? One of them's Gina Gershon for god's sake...

Quote Originally Posted by Lazer LXXVII View Post
    Robin Hood: Men In Tights (1993)
    Rating: 10/10
    Fun: 9/10

A spoof of the classic Robin Hood tale.

This movie was my favorite as a kid, i used to watch it over and over and never get tired of it. Seeing it again really gave me nostalgia. Its still funny to this day, but in the really stupid way. Its just the old Robin Hood tale except adding lots of dumb jokes and modern references, but it still keeps me laughing and smiling the whole way. I also didnt notice that the black guy that travels with Robin Hood was Dave Chappelle, this is from 1993, and he looks and sounds exactly the same way he did 14 years ago. I found that kind of interesting, great movie though, to me, its a classic.
    I can never dislike a movie with Cary Elwes in it, even if it's by Mel Brooks.

one of the nice things about homage films is they can get people interested in the original
    You've reminded me, I should watch more Bogart movies, what would you recommend apart from Casablanca and Maltese Falcon (although it's about time I rewatched those too, come to think of it)?

those first, then we'll talk

but I also liked The Big Sleep, Bullets or Ballots, and African Queen

but Maltese then Casablanca, thats the order I watched them in