Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 242 of 340 FirstFirst ... 142192232238239240241242243244245246252292 ... LastLast
Results 2,411 to 2,420 of 3397
    IncGamers Member TurbulentTurtle's Avatar

Re: Movie Review thread.

I watched the Invention of Lying. I like the part where he was lying.
    Also, telling the truth doesn't mean you have to just say whatever first thought pops into your brain.
    A: Hey, nice shoes.
    B: I lost my job today, you're ugly and tonight I'm gonna have a wicked session.

Then I watch Enemy of the State again because Will Smith is great.
    He is great at everything.
    Will Smith is fantastic.

But before those two I watched Departures.
    Not the first movie with subtitles that I've seen, just so you know. I know how to read. That is as surprising to me as it is to some of you.
    That girl was p hot....

IncGamers Member

Hah I'm amazed nobody has mentioned Kick-***.
    Saw it twice this past weekend...some thoughts:

Overall - 9/10.
    This movie constantly shifts between funny/serious, and depending on how you view these kind of movies, it can be off-putting. However, I liked it and if you see it you'll know exactly what I mean.

Nicholas Cage......

<3

IncGamers Member Leopold Stotch's Avatar

we just bought Ponyo today. i can't wait to watch it. ^_^ i have been waiting for a long while to see it.

IncGamers Member Ash Housewares's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Stotch View Post
    we just bought Ponyo today. i can't wait to watch it. ^_^ i have been waiting for a long while to see it.
    I'm watching it tomorrow

BattleTag decoyyyy-1335

edge of darkness (mel gibson's latest film)
    ok, not great. pretty ridiculous plot. it felt like if Taken and Ransom had a child (and said child asked forrest gump for homework tips), you would end up with edge of darkness. 6.5/10

kick-azz
    entertaining, but a little overhyped i think. tho i do love dark humor and this movie had plenty. possible sequel in the works? 7.5/10

IncGamers Member Ash Housewares's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ash Housewares View Post
    I'm watching it tomorrow
    it was everything I've come to expect from Miyazaki

IncGamers Member Leopold Stotch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ash Housewares View Post
    it was everything I've come to expect from Miyazaki
    dude, i was fighting happy tears! it was the most beautiful thing i had seen all year. it is now one of my fave movies of all time.

IncGamers Member

A Nightmare on Elm Street REMAKE

Overall, it was entertaining and worth a see. Of course, there were problems...

ACTORS
    Some of the “teenagers” looked like they were in their mid 20's. That sort of thing can be ruinous. I kept getting flashbacks of that garbage movie Too Fast, Too Furious, Tokyo Dra...Drive? Drift? Whatever it was, watching a 28 year old pretending to be a teenager is really bad for the movie. In Nightmare, one of the girls was a full foot taller than her mom. Jeeze, can't they at least get short 20 somethings to play as the school kids? It's total defeatism. The movie just flat out confesses that it can't give us a real depiction of high school kids. When I was a teenager, the biggest part of my body was my nose.

What's the matter, movie? Can't risk investing money in younger actors who aren't yet tried tested n' true? Have to get older boys n' girls who know what they're doing? Chicken. Bok bok bok.

FREDDY
    A new take on Freddy. He is more serious and I like what they did here. However, in the old movies he was shapeshifting and doing all kinds of polymorphin' stuff, even to his victims. In the remake he just teleports and talks. Maybe this was a missed opportunity to do some cool stuff.

THE DREAM WORLD
    Again, a missed opportunity. The dream world is almost exactly the same as the real world with fully functioning physics. Good thing I was half drunk when I went to the theater or I'd complain more. How on Earth can the 80's movie have more FX going on than today's crop yield? Remember in Part 2 how there was a record melting on the kid's desk? Well little things like that were really neat to see in the dream world. This movie had almost nothing like that.

CHEESE
    Many ancient oaks are administered:

-The cheap scare. A guy sneaks up from behind and BOOM! It's just her friend. The theater was full of people and not a single girl jolted, yelped, or even blinked for any of the big bangs. These things don't work anymore, period. It doesn't matter how quiet you make the entire movie and how loud you make the watermelon-hitting-pavement-from-50-stories sound effect when the booming cheap scare happens. It just doesn't work.

-A lightbulb on a chain goes out. This is our cue to yawn because the music is indicating something scary is about to happen.

-Serious injuries that have no effect on performance whatsoever. Pain does not exist at all.

- “Hospital workers are so very bad, and they are the true villains of this world. They will kill you. Bad people who save lives every day. Bad. Must get this message into the movie, somehow.”

-Desperation tactics. Well, the movie didn't do too bad here, actually. There was no nudity. But Freddy's claws scraping on metal had major sparkage. Were they seriously trying to outdo the original movie or what?

-Distorted letters. Barely legible and done quite a bit in too many films.

-Others I'm sure.

ATMOSPHERE
    The movie was 910% Doom and Gloom. From start to finish, it was overly quiet and depressing through and through. In the original, there were times of jocularity, kids being kids, kids doing stupid things so we all know they have lives worth caring about. This helped make the dark, spooky times more prominent and effective. This new movie took place in Depressing Town, so the spooky parts were just no big deal.

Going back to the fact that most of the “kids” looked a little too old, I want to point out how in the original, the characters were wiry and vulnerable. They were lambs to the slaughter. In this movie, they look too much like they know what they're doing. Nancy's techniques as an artist look too good for a “teenager” here. There were just so many up close shots of their mature faces that you went through the movie completely without the knowledge that these are teenagers in deep trouble.

ORIGINAL MOVIE VS THE NEW STUFF
    The stuff they copy n' pasted from the old movie (as a tribute, I guess) was really pointless and uninteresting, and the new spins and ideas they added were really cool. I'd say go and watch it just for the new ideas put in.

FX
    There aren't any. Well, surprisingly too few. Actually, I don't know what to think about this. Maybe I should be grateful they did not rely on too much CG. There was a part right out of the old movie where Freddy is emerging from a wall above the bed, and it has CG written all over it. Let's just say GC will always suck until the end of time. The old movie is somehow superior with whatever 200$ budget they chucked at this part.

This is the type of movie (like the Matrix) where GC would have actually made sense (in the dream world). At least they should have had some more ideas for other fx in the dreamworld and movie in general.

STORY
    The story was really good. New twists and ideas, Freddy has different motivations instead of just laughing and insta-killing everyone. It makes you wish they went all the way with their imaginations and didn't rely on “Nancy” and those scenes right out of the old movie.

FACIAL HAIR
    Alright, I'll give the movie makers a big hint here. Younger teens tend to have smaller goatees and little sideburns. It's sometimes all they can manage on account of their umbilical cords being severed so recently. Older guys, like the first guy you see in this movie who is great pals with the main characters (who are supposed to be teenagers) have loads of stubble all over their necks and faces if they don't shave. He has got to be almost 29 and I can't get over this. Then, he has to stoop down to fit through a door because they got a really tall actor to play this “teen” buddy. Isn't the whole point to see teenagers getting killed? These are soap stars.

Anyway, apart from the red tape, it was pretty good on some fronts.

COOL EXPERIENCE WHILE LEAVING THE MALL
    I saw the movie at 11:50 PM, so they had locked most of the front doors of the mall the theater was in. When I was trying to exit, I was pushing on all the doors but none would open. Unfortunately, Freddy did not arrive to kill me, but that would have been cool as I was rubbing my eyes a lot during the movie. So it would have went along with the movie kind of, right? Anyway, I said, “Are they all locked?” and some short fat girl said, “I think you are pushing on the wrong side.” So I got out and walked off the embarrassment back to my apartment. I should have applied more torque or less wine I guess.

Last edited by stillman; 02-05-2010 at 06:32.

Just watched Summer Wars.
    Pretty awesome.