Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 329 of 340 FirstFirst ... 229279319325326327328329330331332333339 ... LastLast
Results 3,281 to 3,290 of 3397
    BattleTag Zarski843

Re: Movie Review thread.

Elysium (2013)
    Rating: 9/10
    Fun: 9/10

In the distant future, the Earth becomes over populated and polluted, so the wealthy inhabitants of the Earth build a space station which simulates luxurious Earth life. After a line worker discovers he only has five days to live, he seeks for a way to travel to the space station to heal his disease.

I was super excited for this movie, I really like a good science fiction movie that isn't too over the top. This was an excellent movie and I absolutely loved it, but I can definitely notice that it had its share of flaws. To start off with the stuff that really made the movie stand out, the movie did a phenomenal job of creating a dying Earth. They paid attention to a lot of small details and it made for a very authentic feeling setting. On top of that, the special effects were incredible. But in regard to the special effects, a lot of it was sort of tainted by the awful shaking camera. Any action scene had constant shaking, some one on one fights were so bad that it was honestly hard to tell who was who, and it looked a little CGI. So visually it was impressive, but it had its share of bad moments. In regard to the plot, it was pretty good, however it wasn't memorable. I was expecting something a little more intricate than what was there, but unfortunately in the end it still felt like a generic science fiction plot with its own dabble of originality. That and the plot felt like it was a little rushed, I am usually the guy who complains about movies being too long, but it felt like the introduction was super quick. It follows the main character when he was a child for maybe 5 minutes, then a random totally unrelated 5-10 minute long scene basically showing what will end up being the plot of the movie, and then a lot of forced background story for the next 20 minutes. Just little forced background stories like "Hey man, I thought you used to be the best at stealing cars!" - "Haha yeah", just little things like that made it seem like they could have found a better way to bring that into the story. The acting was spot on, none of the roles really required anything super demanding, but all of the characters felt very believable, ranging from the poor inhabitants of Earth like Matt Damon and Alice Braga, to the evil villain Sharlto Copely (District 9 guy), to the wealthy Elysium residents (Jodie Foster). I know it seems like I am complaining a lot about the movie, but it was honestly an incredibly experience that I can't wait to revisit again when it comes out on DVD. I just wanted to comment on a few of the things that made it feel like it could have used some improvement. Regardless though, I loved it. The same guy who wrote and directed District 9 wrote and directed this movie, and District 9 was one of my favorite sci-fi movies in a LONG time. So if you enjoyed District 9, you'll enjoy this movie just as much. Most fun I had with this type of movie since well...District 9. The only MAJOR flaw I found with the movie is the not-so-subtle political taste to the message.

BattleTag Zarski843

We're the Millers (2013)
    Rating: 9/10
    Fun: 10/10

A small time drug dealer must transport a huge amount of weed from Mexico, so he hires a stripper, a dork, and a runaway teen to disguise as a family to bring the drugs back home without suspicion.

The movie looked hilarious but I had my suspicions about it being a flop, but I was pleasantly surprised with the movie. Story-wise, it was original, but incredibly predictable. I wasn't expecting some seriously moving or memorable story, but at the same time I wasn't really hoping that I could basically predict the entire movie as it was happening. But on the flip side, there were plenty of laughs that I definitely did not see coming. It was honestly a movie that had me laughing from start to finish. What I liked about it is that while it was about weed, it wasn't a stoner comedy, which have been a little played out over the years. The comedy was really immature, and it honestly felt like a lot of the scenes had a lot of improvisation and actor adlibs, which really made it funnier. The outtakes after the movie really added to that effect. The acting was a little strange, since the four main characters are technically playing two roles, their "real" role and their disguise role, so sometimes it felt really strange when they would switch from one role to another. Its a little bit of a nitpicky complaint, but you have to see how strange sometimes it feels. All in all, it was a hilarious movie from start to finish. Definitely an enjoyable comedy.

IncGamers Member Leopold Stotch's Avatar

I want to see At World's End. Comes out this Friday. It's a Simon Pegg movie and I really enjoy his work.

IncGamers Site Pal BipolarChemist's Avatar

Yes! I cannot wait! ROBOTS.
    Then I just won't b​other!

BattleTag What Me Worry?

Da dada Da da DA!

21 Jump Street (2012)

Rating: 8.5/10
    Fun: 9.5/10

I just revisited this movie last night for no apparent reason. I remembered it being pretty funny, but nothing special. On the second viewing I got to notice the sheer depth of the jokes and comedy in the film.

The movie breaks the ice right away by telling you this isn't just going to be some regular remake from a a chuckle worthy speech by Parks and Rec's Nick Offerman, who has a very well placed cameo (one of many) in the film. ONce the tone was set, the movie kicks into high gear with the stars Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum going back to high school, just like the original TV series. Tatum plays your average bully jock, who was a dick to Hill, sporting a hilarious Eminem style, in high school.

Tatum hits the mark in the movie, showing unexpected depth and proving some decent comedic talent (see Tatum's cameo in This Is The End). Hill is the exact same, playing off Tatum, he is wonderfully hilarious and the two of them create a very odd but believable team.

The movie had me hooked the entire time, with multiple laughs per minute and great depth in the jokes that were there. The film requires multiple views to see some of the jokes, especially the end credits sequence, which has its own contained jokes and visual puns.

Overall a hilarious film, with amazing cameos and decent acting. I highly recommend a watch, and for a fun fact the director of the film, Phil Lord, also created Clone High.

IncGamers Member Ash Housewares's Avatar

"**** Glee"

IncGamers Member Leopold Stotch's Avatar

The World's End (2013)

Rating: 7/10
    Fun Rating: 8.5/10
    Five friends back in 1990 try to accomplish the Golden Mile (or whatever it is) which is drink at 12 different pubs. They never completed it and 23 years later, the leader reunites everyone to try and do it again. Except this time things aren't what they seem to be.

The first 20 or 30 minutes of this movie are so completely different than the last hour. It's like two movies were edited together almost. Like, I understand why they did it this way. You gotta set it up, introduce the characters, part of the plot. Once the event in the men's room happens (and like Zokar said to me the other night, "Life changing things always happen in the men's room!") that's when the... real (?) conflict starts. I enjoyed myself. when I get excited in a movie theater, I tend to bounce up and down in my seat... Probably didn't help that it was ten at night and I was drinking a coffee and munching on coffee cake. >.> But I enjoyed myself and chuckled many times through out the movie. My friend Cheeto laughed a few times. He says he enjoyed the movie, it was something he was not expecting but amusing. And it was something I was not expecting either. It is a different movie and I was not expecting things to happen the way they did. In some aspects, I feel like there was no character resolution. At least the type that is BAM! IN YO' FACE! If there is, it is very subtle. Maybe the most stand out is at the end and it involves water. Anyways, I don't want to get into more for fearing spoiling it for anyone and I absolutely hate spoiling movies for others (really hate it when it is done to me). I will say it is amsuing, weird, different, and Simon Pegg is damn amusing, as usual. His buddy that is always seems to be with him (the dark-haired, kinda chubby fellow. He wears thick glasses in this film) plays a totally different character than I am used to seeing. I was pleasantly surprised at his seriousness in this film.

If you aren't 100% sure about this movie, wait till it comes out on some-kind-of-disc (DVD, blu-ray). Or go to a five dollar matinee. I say this so no one gets pissed off at me and be all like, "Well, you said it was good, Leo!"

"...I said it was good for ME. Apparently not for you."

There's a sex joke in there somewhere... Just can't think of it. Actually, I see it and it makes me look bad. *casual shrug* Me to know, you to find out.

I just saw it tonight. I liked it, I was laughing all the way through. As a stand alone film it is a solid 8/10 for me, but going along with the rest of the Trilogy, I'd say it was the most lacking of the bunch. Definitely different from Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, so don't go in expecting those and expect something a little more serious.

The Cornetto Trilogy

Overall Rating: 9/10

Edgar Wright's Cornetto trilogy has been in the spotlight lately with the recent release of the series finale of The World's End. In preparation I watched all three films. This is my review and thoughts on each film:

Shaun of The Dead

Rating:9/10
    Fun: 9.5/10

The first in the trilogy, we find Simon Pegg as a hapless loser, working a dead end job living with his lazy best friend, played by Nick Frost. Going into the movie the first time I saw it I was thinking that it was going to be some ****tastic Dawn of The Dead spoof, but I was delightfully surprised. Right away we hear the Dawn of the Dead soundtrack play as the film opens, giving a great nod to the original films. The film leads into a very well layered set-up to the impending doom, sprinkling in tidbits here and there, setting up multiple jokes an relationships.

Once the action kicks in, the movie doesn't stop and hits punchline after punchline, giving great laughs. Wright's comedic timing is impeccable here. The relationships that develop in the film are also believable and fairly well fleshed out, especially the bromance between Pegg and Frost.

Overall, Shaun of the Dead was a surprise hit, easily becoming a cult classic and a fan-favourite. This opening to the trilogy set the tone for the next couple of films, setting a high bar for Wright.

Hot Fuzz

Rating: 9.5/10

My personally favourite in the trilogy, Hot Fuzz is a love letter to buddy cop flicks like Bad Boys 2 and Point Break. Again, starring Pegg and Frost as newly formed partners in a small country town. Pegg is the big city cop that was forced to move to the countryside by his colleague. He plays a very different character from Shaun of the Dead, moving from the unmotivated slacker to an uptight professional, showing a surprising range in acting ability. Frost plays the bumbling but loveable idiot, which he is oh-so-good at doing.

Much like Shaun of the Dead, the films picks up and just doesn't quit, with some great fast paced humour and subtle jokes. The comedic timing is yet again damn near perfect from Wright, who utilizes both the scenery and editing to nail some great visual jokes.

The final 30 minutes of the movie is just pure adrenaline, giving a great nod to buddy cop flicks, with a nice twist. Absolutely hilarious. Another great thing to look for in the film is the amazing cameos from Bill Nighy, Cate Blanchett, Peter Jackson, and Martin Freeman among many more.

Overall Hot Fuzz was definitely the peak of the series, giving a great ride and will be considered a classic in t
    he years to come.

The World's End

Rating: 8.5/10
    Fun: 9/10

Being the finale to the Cornetto trilogy, The World's End had a lot to live up to coming after Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. This film had a much darker tone though, with much more in depth characters and some nice character development.

Again Pegg and Frost star, along with Martin Freeman. Pegg plays one his best characters in this series, a man who could never live past his high school years, stuck in the past while all of his friends have moved on. Pegg acts as a sort of narrator near the beginning, giving his outlook on the other characters on the film, setting expectations for the viewer for the other friends. These descriptions of the characters play out very nicely, as you see how their actual personality differs from Pegg's character's description. Frost changes his character up in this one, to become the more serious, straight man in the film.

The film starts fairly slowly with Pegg gathering his friends to attempt an infamous challenge called The Golden Mile, where they go to 12 pubs in one epic night, ending at The World's End pub. The film gathers its comedy from reminiscing and joking about old times, perhaps going along with the fact that this is the last film, but overall the start feels kind of slow, especially compared to the others in the trilogy.

Once the main plot of the film is revealed, however, the film quickly changes pace yet keeps the character interaction very much alive. The situation that arises is actually quite funny in its absurdity and acts as more of a backdrop for the character's mental struggles. The fight scenes are brutally hilarious and fast paced, showing great editing skills and some great camera work, but lacks some true comedy other than from the situation itself.

As the film wraps up, a great speech comes about from, a very drunk, Pegg and Frost giving a very serious addition to the film. The ending then just leaves you smiling with a couple of nods to the fact that this is truly the end of the Cornetto trilogy.

Overall, the film is a departure from its predecessors, giving a much more serious and matured tone. It also wraps up the trilogy very nicely, giving some great closure. A very enjoyable watch and I would love to go see it again so my seat is not being kicked the entire f***ing movie.
    -----------------------------------
    If you have not seen any of this trilogy, I highly recommend a full watch through as they are some of the greatest comedies of the past decade. Edgar Wright has proved himself as a great comedy director, who can easily wander into more serious tones. Another great film from Wright is Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, which I also recommend.