Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 323 of 340 FirstFirst ... 223273313319320321322323324325326327333 ... LastLast
Results 3,221 to 3,230 of 3397
    IncGamers Member Leopold Stotch's Avatar

Re: Movie Review thread.

I have Blade Runner and Re-Animator on my DVR. Haven't seen either one. I KNOW! I KNOW! which is why I have them recorded. There are several classics I haven't seen, sadly. :(

I recently saw Man of Steel. It was my first Superman movie (remember five seconds ago how I said there were several classics I haven't seen? The original Superman films are one of them! ) and it was enjoyable. LOUD AS ****, but good. And my friend I went to see it with said they did a good job re-telling the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Stotch View Post
    I have Blade Runner and Re-Animator on my DVR. Haven't seen either one.
    FOR SHAME, MISS W, FOR SHAME!

I KNOW! I KNOW!
    Oh... well, um, at least you know. Hope you enjoy them!

Anyway, I hope you have the 2007 "Final Cut" edition of Blade Runner. It's the best and most coherent version IMO.

Re-Animator is funny and gruesome. While it bares little resemblance to the source material (a serial written by H.P. Lovecraft), it's still a classic. If you enjoy it, you should probably also check out From Beyond (same writer/director: Stuart Gordon).

I recently saw Man of Steel. It was my first Superman movie (remember five seconds ago how I said there were several classics I haven't seen? The original Superman films are one of them! ) and it was enjoyable. LOUD AS ****, but good. And my friend I went to see it with said they did a good job re-telling the story.
    I thought it was awful. Can't really go into detail without massive spoilers so maybe a few months down the road I'll express my many grievances. Very brief summary: What (mostly) worked well for the Nolan Batman trilogy* doesn't work well for Supes. At. All.

*Except for TDKR. That movie was bat-crap.

IncGamers Member Leopold Stotch's Avatar

haven't seen TDKR yet. Seriously, haven't been out much and I've missed a lot of movies.

I don't know much of the Superman lore which is why I didn't give it a proper rating other than it was good. As someone who went in blind, I enjoyed it as an action flick (aside from the loudness. Explosions seemed louder than usual and the sound of glass or that machine sound (similar to nails on a chalkboard but more screechy) hurt my ears but whatevs. I like standing next to the amps at a rock concert and the louder the better...). There were some parts where I was like, "Why is this happening?" Example: ****'s being knocked down and you're standing there. WHY? GET. THE ****. OUT OF THE WAY! And the very end...

Spoiler

But I enjoyd it as an action flick. Everyone clapped in the end so people in the theater were pleased.

I am not sure what version of Blade Runner it was. It was on some movie channel late at night and I thought to myself, "I'm going to record this to see what I am missing out on."

Yeah, I think you told me about Re-Animator which is why I recorded it. If it wasn't you, someone told me about it. Thank you, VH1 Classic! Thanks, D.

IncGamers Member

Silly Leo, that wasn't Superman.

IncGamers Member

Total Recall (2012)

Yet another disappointing remake. It has all the hallmarks of modern desperation: lens flares, white lights (strobe even), a body count in the hundreds, wide scale destruction, explosions, jumping through windows and other things endlessly. Today, every reasonably budgeted movie is a Godzilla movie without Godzilla, marketed to our pathetic man-child generation.

The action was repetitive and redundant. Things are explained and reexplained for idiots. The villain spends ten minutes explaining things he doesn't have to. Why is a politician even there in the heart of the action? The standard underwear model is said to be the best agent in the world, but he seems like a dumbfounded clod who needs sock puppets and a diagram for clarity.

The original had a cerebral scene with two characters in a simple room discussing the possibility that neither of them exist. The remake thought it would be somehow better if they did the same thing with a hundred storm troopers present. There are so many storm troopers jammed into this movie, they become like counting sheep that put you to sleep.

There is some confusion as to whether the protagonist is to be captured alive or shot on sight. The protocol switches constantly for plot convenience. In the times where they supposedly want him alive, why don't they just tase him? When they want him dead, why do they keep talking to him?

They put the triple-breasted woman in the first act, as a way of saying, "It's all we got, guys." Other ideas from the original are copied, but they're no longer ideas. They are trifles in the background among the machine gun fire. In fact, the two love interests are hand guns and machine guns with vague pouting brunettes somewhere behind them. There are so many action scenes that moves are recycled. All the cliches are lined up orderly, so once you roll over them, they reassemble and get back in line for you to see them again. Yay.

Rating 0/10.

BattleTag Zarski843

World War Z (2013)
    Rating: 7/10
    Fun: 10/10

An outbreak of zombies spreads rapidly across the world, and a former high ranking UN employee is sent to the believed origin of the outbreak to try to research a cure.

This is another one of those movies that hit the ground running, I honestly think there was less than 3 minutes of movie before the outbreak begins, and it begins with a very rapid succession of action sequences for the following 20-30 minutes. There is a plot in the movie, but its really shaky and a very loose focus of the movie because the focus of the movie changes several times throughout its length. Its not a very serious movie either, there isn't much drama. Basically its an action thriller about the zombie apocalypse, but to the extent where the story is basically there because they need a story. They did however portray the zombie apocalypse as a global problem, as opposed to almost every other zombie movie where it only takes place in one region. With that, its not necessarily a bad thing, its actually a really fun movie. There is a huge focus on surviving against the zombies, and it was really cool with how intricate some of the details were...clearly small details from the book (that I never read). Its definitely a fun movie though, but the ending felt like it really came out of nowhere. The movie was two hours long and it felt a little lengthy (but I was a enjoying it regardless), but the movie felt like it ended out of nowhere. The movie ended just as fast as it started. Not really a bad thing, but this was one of those types of movies where I kept thinking, "why didn't they just ___", because it felt like there were a lot of stupid mistakes just to make the movie entertaining. Since there wasn't much of a story to the movie, there wasn't much acting required, but this definitely didn't feel like a good match for Brad Pitt. It just didn't feel like his theme of movies, his type of movies, and his role felt really awkward. All in all, its not really a GOOD movie because it lacks so much, but its a hell of an entertaining movie, and I would gladly watch it again in the near future.

IncGamers Member

I think Pitt will be typecast as a family man forevermore, because of his famous real-life Offspring Award. I haven't seen the movie, btw. But in the preview, he's a "dad" like in the tabloids.

D3 General & D2 Newcomer Moderator
    IncGamers Site Pal

It's a good thing Air Bud was actually good at basketball, 'cause otherwise that coach would have looked pretty stupid.
    OH PLEASE HELP I found out why Waldo's always hiding he did so many horrible things please let me in he's righ

IncGamers Site Pal BipolarChemist's Avatar

Monsters University
    Rating: 8/10
    Fun: 8.5/10

Well I'll start by saying this is a Pixar movie, it has the Pixar feel, look, etc. but I'm going to try to look past that.

This movie has its main plot set around Mike, a kind of nerdy, hardworking freshman, and his plight to make it through Monsters University. His character is determined and never gives up, with a very good voice performance portraying this from Billy Crystal. Our other protagonist, Sullivan, is your stereotypical overconfident jock. As the film progresses, Sullivan goes through a fairly cliche character development, but done in an amazing fashion. The friendship of the two protagonists grows and shapes itself in a very natural and always enjoyable way. Overall, the characters of the film were fairly well done, with some great voice acting. The side characters of the movie are very stereotypical, but hilarious all the same.

From the start the film feels like one of those '80s/'90s college films, with frats, parties, cliques and stereotypes. It builds from the start showing that the setting we will be looking at is obviously the stereotypical college shown in film and tv. The setting is large and, at times, very beautiful, encapsulating the fell of a larger Ivy League University. There is never a dull moment when taking a look a the backgrounds and the lush environments.

Perhaps the best part of the film though is the plot. On the surface it feels like a fairly generic, college story, based around the 'loser' fraternity trying to take down the popular ones in the annual 'Scare Games' Underneath this seemingly basic plot is a much deeper and more meaningful one, the creation of a friendship between Mike and Sullivan. At the start you know that they must become the best of friends in the course of the film, but what catches you by surprise is the developments that builds on the friendship, making the characters very human and down to earth in this usually over-the-top film.

Overall, the film is a fun family adventure with entertainment for both Children and Adults, as Pixar is generally very good at doing. It's not Pixar's best but it is still definitely worth a watch on DVD. The theatre is not recommended as there are a lot of children and children are noisy. The psychometrics of the film were off the chain. Especially the bloodbath scene.

Anyways, this is my first review here, I figured that I like movies and there is a movie review thread, so I should drop my opinion down here. Criticize as much as you want, I wanna know how I can improve my reviews! Thanks!
    Last edited by BipolarChemist; 02-07-2013 at 06:50. Reason: Added Psychometric and Bloodbath.

IncGamers Member LozHinge the Unhinged's Avatar
    BattleTag FTITCTAJ

You failed to use the words bloodbath and psychometrics but aside from that, it's all good