Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 319 of 340 FirstFirst ... 219269309315316317318319320321322323329 ... LastLast
Results 3,181 to 3,190 of 3397
    BattleTag Zarski843

Re: Movie Review thread.

Cabin in the Woods (2011)
    Rating: 3/10
    Fun: 5/10

A group of teenagers spend the night in an isolated cabin in the woods and are attacked by a dead family.

Before I saw this, I heard some people say it was extremely weird and nothing what you expect it to be like. Every single bit of that is true. I can understand how some people may enjoy this type of movie, but I can also see how people walked out halfway through the movie. About halfway through, I was honestly ready to turn the movie off. However, the movie changes speeds and directions (and I don't mean slight changes, I mean the entire movie changes) several times, especially toward the end. Its a weird mix of a horror and some touches of comedy, and then a twist ending. Its really hard talking about a movie like this without spoiling the "surprise", if you even want to call it that. Regardless, as I was told prior to seeing it...you will love it or you will hate it. I know this was a vague review, but part of the fun is just experiencing it. I personally didn't like the movie at all, I understand the approach they wanted, but it just felt like a mess of a movie. However, it did surprise me, especially at the end. I just wonder how this movie ever passed as a big budget Hollywood movie rather than a straight to DVD bargain box movie.

IncGamers Member

I just read the wiki synopsis instead of going to see new movies. Regarding Cabin in the Woods, I believe the problem is called lampshade hanging, where attention is brought to terrible writing in the hopes that the audience will forgive it. So in that movie, they fill it with cliches, then say, "but here is WHY we filled it with cliches!" Sorry, still no good. Cliche stuffing is bad, period.

BattleTag Zarski843

Quote Originally Posted by stillman View Post
    I just read the wiki synopsis instead of going to see new movies. Regarding Cabin in the Woods, I believe the problem is called lampshade hanging, where attention is brought to terrible writing in the hopes that the audience will forgive it. So in that movie, they fill it with cliches, then say, "but here is WHY we filled it with cliches!" Sorry, still no good. Cliche stuffing is bad, period.
    Nah I honestly believe the awful writing and dialogue was intentional. You could tell they went for the comedy approach because there were a few moments where I laughed. Like I said I don't want to mention much so it doesn't spoil the surprise in case someone does actually enjoy it (which I can see). It all felt really intentional to me, but I really think you have to see it to understand. However, when you advertise a movie as one thing and then you get something vastly different, that is a different story to me.

Spoiler, if you plan on enjoying this movie in full I'd recommend not reading this. Its not much but it was funny.
    Spoiler

IncGamers Member LozHinge the Unhinged's Avatar
    BattleTag FTITCTAJ

I watched The Cabin in the Woods with only the information that some people appeared not to know what to make of it. As a result, I was on a rollercoaster on fun with nothing in the way of expectation to dog me on the way.
    The perplexment I experienced at the start, and the way the movie unrolled and revealed as it went, delighted me. The apparently paradoxical behaviour of some of the characters and the explanation for it, was hugely satisfying.

Add to that a veritable Easter Egg Hunt of actors from the Whedon universe that you discover along the way, with all the trademark Whedon genius of pop culture dialogue and I ended up having the most fun I've had in front of a film in a long, long time.

High art? No, get real. Sheer entertainment that rewarded your paying attention? Absolutely.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lazer LXXVII View Post
    Nah I honestly believe the awful writing and dialogue was intentional.
    I meant it is intentional, but that's no excuse. The writers point out the cliches by providing reasons for them, but they're still relying on old crap we've seen before. Here's an example:

There have been beer commercials of a guy complaining about the hot girls oozing all over him, b/c he realizes he is in a cliche beer commercial. However, at the end of the day, this commercial is still using hot girls to sell the product. The writers pointing out the cliches for comedy doesn't make the cliches excusable.

BattleTag Zarski843

I meant it is intentional, but that's no excuse. The writers point out the cliches by providing reasons for them, but they're still relying on old crap we've seen before. Here's an example:

There have been beer commercials of a guy complaining about the hot girls oozing all over him, b/c he realizes he is in a cliche beer commercial. However, at the end of the day, this commercial is still using hot girls to sell the product. The writers pointing out the cliches for comedy doesn't make the cliches excusable.
    Yeah I agree completely, I have no idea who signed the big budget for that movie and allowed marketing to go that far. Pranks are fun, but if people pay for a teen horror/slasher and they get something else, that isn't really funny playing with the customer's money. Luckily I enjoy movies like that, but honestly most people don't. The mismarketing wasn't cool by me.

IncGamers Member Ash Housewares's Avatar

I just read the wiki synopsis instead of going to see new movies.
    sounds like you're living the sweet life

BattleTag What Me Worry?

Air Force 1

and Sienfeld!

In Hollywood America, Soviet Russian has Irony.
    Kodo's to Larry.

IncGamers Member Ash Housewares's Avatar

Evil Dead was fun, it wasn't too intense so people that frighten easily could still enjoy it, and it doesn't really have any cheap scares and jumps, its just the usual fun of watching some folks have a really ****ty day, with lots and lots of blood.

BattleTag What Me Worry?