Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 317 of 340 FirstFirst ... 217267307313314315316317318319320321327 ... LastLast
Results 3,161 to 3,170 of 3397
    BattleTag Zarski843

Re: Movie Review thread.

Argo (2012)
    Rating: 8/10
    Fun: 7/10

The true story of a covert CIA operation to save six diplomat hostages in 1979 Iran by pretending to shoot a fake movie.

I was sort of interested in seeing it, the trailers made it look very entertaining and after it won the best picture Oscar, I decided to give it a shot. Perhaps with all of the praise, I set my expectations a little high, but I found the movie to be a strange fusion of very interesting but very unentertaining. The plot was extremely intriguing, especially because it is based off of historical events, and it just blows me away that something like this happened in recent history. However, I did some research after finishing the movie (Wikipedia lol), and I found that the movie got the Hollywood treatment to make it more entertaining than it actually was. So once again, like I said its a great movie because of the little history lesson. I think its great that they made this into a movie. Unfortunately its not exactly a movie you can eat popcorn to, the drama is pretty dry for the most part, I think if the movie was not based off of a true story then it would have made the movie significantly worse. All that being said, it was actually a great movie. Very well directed, they definitely captured the setting and the atmosphere very well, and the actors all played their roles very well. The movie did an excellent job of blending historical news broadcasts into the movie itself. Although I do not see how this movie won film of the year, that's not to say this wasn't a great movie. Not exactly something I will revisit in the near future, but I am glad I watched it.

BattleTag Zarski843

Looper (2012)
    Rating: 10/10
    Fun: 9/10

In the year 2044, individuals can communicate with criminals 30 years in the future. In the year 2074, time travel is possible but extremely outlawed, and only a very small network of criminals communicate with "Loopers" in 2044, who simply go to a specific location at a specific time to assassinate an individual sent from 2074. One junkie Looper accidentally lets his target escape, which causes trouble for the future.

This movie grew on me throughout the process of the movie. I honestly really didn't like the first 40 or so minutes of the movie, because the movie spent a lot time basically laying out the information you needed to know for the story. Unfortunately, most of it makes very little sense if you don't know the context of the entire movie, so watching 40 minutes of something that I barely understood to me didn't really make for a good movie. The first 40 minutes weren't boring, in fact they were incredibly interesting and I was very intrigued, however it just felt like a complete mess of a storyline because I had no idea what the purpose of any it was. That being said, once the story developed and the information from the first 40 minutes began to make more sense, the movie grabbed my attention and refused to let go. I was extremely intrigued with everything and absolutely sucked into the story. I really commend the writer and director (I believe its the same person) for creating such a unique and original storyline and science fiction world in an age of movies which all feel like they are repeating what other movies did. The closest recent movie I can think of is Inception which also ventured into territory that is seldom explored today. On top of all that, the directing was excellent despite the awkward beginning to the movie, but I was definitely impressed with a lot of the visual effects. Even the setting was phenomenal, while it felt futuristic in many aspects, it still had that modern vibe to it because of the rural setting. Even further, the acting was phenomenal all around. My only problem with the acting is that I usually hate child actors, so the child actor in this movie really bothered me because it just feels so forced and fake (like with 99% of all child actors). Bottom line, this movie was incredible, and definitely one of the most memorable movies since Inception. A must see for science fiction fans, and I would highly recommend it to everyone as well.

IncGamers Member Leopold Stotch's Avatar

Lazer, in spoiler tags please, how did you make of the ending?

Spoiler

Edit: added spoiler box, apologies for before.

IncGamers Member Ash Housewares's Avatar

It was entertaining enough, it just didn't live up to some of the buzz that was going around, it was enjoyable, I can't really say anything too bad about the movie it just didn't do much else to distinguish itself

sort of rate it the range of, it was worth seeing and I'm glad I did, but I won't go around recommending it to people

BattleTag Zarski843

Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Stotch View Post
    Lazer, in spoiler tags please, how did you make of the ending?
    ...honestly I have no idea how to make the spoiler tags lol, but I'll do it without spoiling it.

It was a weird change of speed, but I really enjoyed it. It sort of stepped away from the awesome 1990's science fiction style to a more modern generic ending, but I still enjoyed it. I honestly disliked the first 45 minutes of the movie, it wasn't bad, but I just had no idea what the purpose of any of it was. If I have no idea what is going on for that long of a period of time, it sort of begins to lose my interest. It was one of those movies that you NEED to see twice.

Heh I had to figure it out too Lazer. you just put spoiler in brackets.

Spoiler

BattleTag What Me Worry?

Quote Originally Posted by DickScotchfist View Post
    Heh I had to figure it out too Lazer. you just put spoiler in brackets.

Spoiler
    Nice use of tags and welcome to the OTF.

Check your pants and wallet.

IncGamers Member

Lazer, let me get this straight...

You're fine with Inception, but Looper confused you? Everyone had the exact reverse experience you did: they found the last 40 minutes problematic (boring farmhouse setting), and the first act was too simple (traditional Newtonian interpretation of time as an arrow, leading to annoying paradoxes) and overly explained (long narration at start).

As for the ending...
    Spoiler

Time traveling movie without paradox is a paradox. You can't expect anything not to have them in 2.5 hours really. For me it goes Act 1> Act 2 > Act 3. Two is where it gets simple for me. I wrote up an essay that helps explain Act 2's complexity in 5 short paragraphs below.

Spoiler

You're totally right about the Hitchcockian Blonde-Complex in this movie, btw. I didn't even spot that.

As for inception, I like that movie a lot and am fully aware a large portion is because I'm a biased, Nolan Superfan.