Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: Call me crazy, but...Hydra sorc?

Quote Originally Posted by Dabljuh View Post
    This thread comes up top when you google for "Hydra Sorc" so apologize for Thread Necromancy.

I got an idea. Essentially, hydras Synergies suck, 3% more damage per skill point invested really blows in the big picture. On the other hand, Orb really blows damage wise.

I'm thinking of instead doing a blizzspike build with hydra as a backup. The thing about blizzspike is that its damage is so overwhelming, you don't need to fully synergize it. Instead you'd want something that takes care of immunes and works well with a blizz build. You don't even need to max cold mastery due to the way it works.

Does Hydra have what it takes to make a viable alternative to a Blizzballer build?

BlizzHydra

Cold Tree:
    20 Blizzard
    20 Glacial
    10+ Cold Mastery
    Fire Tree:
    20 Hydra
    10+ Fire Mastery

With Prereqs and one point wonders, that makes 92 skill points. As with any build that's strapped for skill points, a ton of +skill items would make this work even better.

Playstyle would be rather unique. the only direct nuke doesn't do damage and instead only serves to freeze cold vulnerable mobs in place. Both Hydra and Blizzard can be placed on the right mouse button and serve to lay down mine fields.

Requesting For Comment.
    Hydra: Skill +2 synergies + mastery
    Blizzard: Skill +3 synergies + mastery (although cold mastery should never be maxed)

Sorry, doesn't work

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ceramic Weasel View Post
    I think synergized Orb has been shown to be better than Blizzard with a single synergy. There's a topic in the knowledge library I think, frozen orb vs. blizzard. It's a very good read.
    No, oh no.

I read that post. Something like this: A single target standing still, lining up for perfect orb hits, takes mildly more damage from a single-synergized orb than from a single synergized blizzard. Oh wow. I mean, who'd have thought. In every other situation, orb is absolute weaksauce compared to blizzard. Groups, moving targets, you name it, blizzard burns them down while orb at best bores them to death. Also: Anyone who synergizes orb needs his CD key revoked.

Orb is a timered attack. Hydra is a timered attack. Blizzard is a timered attack. Orb + Hydra don't work. Fball+Hydra/Fball+Orb works, and Glacial+Hydra/Glacial+Blizzard work. Essentially, taking orb forces you to take Fball, and fball sucks as a synergy for hydra (3%) and does piss weak damage without synergies for itself.

Furthermore we're talking about a dual tree build. You shoot at targets that are mixes from immunes / nonimmunes for whatever skill you're using. Orb is easily completely negated by a few immunes in the way, where as blizzard doesn't care as to what's in its area, it hits everything the same.

The only problem with BlizzHydra is that glacial doesn't do damage, i.e. you don't have a non-timered damage spell. The plus side is that glacial freezes stuff and so you don't need block or particularly high hitpoints. Ice blast is an alternative in that it does do damage, but doesn't freeze scores of things as they run through your blizzard / hydra fields.

Quote Originally Posted by lumpor View Post
    Hydra: Skill +2 synergies + mastery
    Blizzard: Skill +3 synergies + mastery (although cold mastery should never be maxed)

Sorry, doesn't work
    Because you can't use a skill without maxing its synergy, no matter how trivially small the synergy bonus is, right? Let me guess, you also synergize FOrb.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dabljuh View Post
    No, oh no. ...*rant*... Also: Anyone who synergizes orb needs his CD key revoked.
    You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but I'll take my synergized orb sorc, and keep my CD key too.

It's interesting you mention the casting delay of these skills, because that was my next thought. Orb/Hydra already suffers from annoyingly long casting delays, yet Blizzard's delay is 80% longer than Orb's. While you have a spammable attack, you acknowledge that it does negligible damage. Spike won't freeze everything you come across, and with the weaker Hydra, I can't see this being any safer or more powerful.

Then again, I never much liked the Orb/Hydra idea, so perhaps I'm automatically biased.

IncGamers Member

There's a sticky that suggests Hydra/Orb.

ok, lets go at this from a different angle.

If Hydra works nicely synergized, it'll also work nicely enough without any synergies because the synergies add so little per point. Without synergies, you have some 40-60 points left for another skill, preferrably one that isn't fire.

Different angle. The skill that should accompany hydra has the following qualities:

a) It's non-timered and spammable in between hydra cooldowns
    b) It must be possible to use on the left mouse button because hydra is going to be on the right
    c) It's not a fire spell
    d) it has a huge damage output, enough to clear the screen within a matter of seconds in a populated game. This because hydra is ineffective if FI are in the mix, so these FI must be eliminated ASAP.
    e) Conversely, the skill must not be affected by immunes present.

Orb has b/c
    Blizzard has c/d/e

Nova has a/c/e
    Charged Bolt has a/b/c
    Lightning has a/b/c/e
    Chain Lightning has a/b/c

120% is still more than you think.

IncGamers Member

I've read the sticky. I believe the general finding was that, while it looks okay on paper, in practice it's generally slow and crippled by casting delays. This post pretty much sums up my experiences with Hydra.

Regarding the synergy issue, I think you're dismissing them without really considering all the factors. A level 35 Orb with +15% cold skill damage from Tal's does about 577 damage per shard. Synergized, this goes up to 793. That's a difference of 216. Assuming Conviction and/or CM have reduced all target resistances to -100, the difference becomes 432. Now multiply that by the number of shards that hit targets on a well-placed Orb, and we're looking at around 8,000 damage difference, per second.

Likewise, a level 35 Hydra with level 35 FM deals 1,234 per bolt. Fully synergized we have 2,562, a difference of 1,328. Glossing over the affects of Tal's and/or Conviction and assuming your target's resist has been reduced to exactly 0%, that's a difference of around 3,984 per second per Hydra. With only 2 Hydras out the difference between synergized and unsynergized is 7,968 per second. If you can reduce your target's resistance below 0%, the difference can become much more.

These are both highly underestimated skills, with highly underestimated synergies. Though, I don't think they work all that well in combination.

IncGamers Member

I have one, shes badass. I use her to kill modders who join pvp. the only thing about pvm is infinity on your merc is needed. I do 5k each hydra and about 11k with fireball. I still need to faucet my shako and chuta. But you basically have it right

If you wanna see her in action add me and message me im usually on, Bakerskate22

BattleTag What Me Worry?

Made one was fun fun fun and redid to save points ex-ladder-season as the mid to high to end items with effects and charges work so well - I will say one of the best AI helpful spells this Orb and Thunderstorm triggering will kill a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by SSoG View Post
    You don't need to wait for all that Godly Gear. My favorite thing about Hydra/Orb sorcs is that they're great no-twink or even naked characters. Very, very safe, and solid enough killing speed even without any help.
    I love seeing a SSoG post!

even if it is 2007 date.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakerskate View Post
    I have one, shes badass. I use her to kill modders who join pvp. the only thing about pvm is infinity on your merc is needed. I do 5k each hydra and about 11k with fireball. I still need to faucet my shako and chuta. But you basically have it right

If you wanna see her in action add me and message me im usually on, Bakerskate22
    You kick *** - I PM OK?
    Last edited by BobCox2; 23-02-2013 at 07:11.

IncGamers Member

http://www.diablofans.com/page/tools...l0l0l0l29lal00

This build seems solid enough for dueling. firebolt/ball will be main and hydra will be used off cooldown instead of meteor.
    Lol such an old thread though.
    Last edited by thewrathofshane; 31-03-2013 at 09:28.