Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    IncGamers Member diablo loves donutz's Avatar
    Yes this build now has only one purpose...to kill Azn's fb sorc...

Btw, I named her Kortana instead of Flaming-Donutz

IncGamers Member
    nooooo!!! halo freak! (i think)

i always make names that sound funny when i kill someone. even though half of them arent for pking =P

good luck with your hydra sorc!

Quote Originally Posted by jonw View Post
    I tried a hydra sorc, but like all single element sorcs she needed babysitting most of the way through hell. And Act 4 was impossible. For PvM, single element is a bad idea.

I know meteorbs are cookie cutter, but their fire damage is going to be greater than a hydra sorc, and they can solo hell.

For PvP, this could be fun. I think most people focus on lite resistance/absorption, so you could do well.
    You don't have to recommend Meteorb- Hydrorb keeps the Hydra theme, and is 100% PvM viable. In fact, Hydra/Orb is my favorite PvM character on the block. Just a fun build.

IncGamers Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SSoG View Post
    You don't have to recommend Meteorb- Hydrorb keeps the Hydra theme, and is 100% PvM viable. In fact, Hydra/Orb is my favorite PvM character on the block. Just a fun build.
    after reading this thread i wanna make myself a pvm hydra-orb, ssog could you please post your skill layout plz?

Quote Originally Posted by psmuk View Post
    after reading this thread i wanna make myself a pvm hydra-orb, ssog could you please post your skill layout plz?
    Cold Tree:
    20 in Frozen Orb
    1 in Cold Mastery
    5 in prereqs
    (optional) 1 in Frozen Armor (I like to get this, because it makes Teleporting a bit safer)

Lightning Tree:
    1 in Static
    1 in Telekinesis
    1 in Teleport

Fire Tree:
    1 in Fire Bolt
    1 in Warmth
    20 in Fire Ball
    1 in Enchant
    20 in Hydra
    20 in Fire Mastery

Total = 92 or 93 points. Finishes up at clvl 81 or 82. Additional points go into Firebolt to boost your Fireball and your Hydra.

If you want to get really technical, I didn't put 1 in Fire Bolt and 20 in Fireball... I put something more like a 7/14 split, since it gave me a stronger Fireball that way. Play around with a skill calculator to see with each point whether you're better off putting it in Fire Bolt or Fire Ball.

As far as when to put the points... put 10 points in Orb and 1 in Cold Mastery AS SOON AS YOU CAN. A 10-point Orb will be more than enough to carry you through Nightmare. After that, I stop developing Orb and return to developing Hydra, since an underdeveloped Orb can kill in hell, but an underdeveloped Hydra has troubles. After I have 50-55 points in Hydra and synergies, I return to pumping the Orb.

Playstyle... Orb, Hydra, Teleport, Static Field, Frozen Armor all hotkeyed to right click. Fireball and Glacial Spike hotkeyed to left click. Orb and Hydra are both timered, so you'll be spamming FB, GS, Static, and Tele between casts.

BattleTag melianor-2318
    Quote Originally Posted by SSoG View Post
    Cold Tree:
    20 in Frozen Orb
    1 in Cold Mastery
    5 in prereqs
    (optional) 1 in Frozen Armor (I like to get this, because it makes Teleporting a bit safer)

Lightning Tree:
    1 in Static
    1 in Telekinesis
    1 in Teleport

Fire Tree:
    1 in Fire Bolt
    1 in Warmth
    20 in Fire Ball
    1 in Enchant
    20 in Hydra
    20 in Fire Mastery

Total = 92 or 93 points. Finishes up at clvl 81 or 82. Additional points go into Firebolt to boost your Fireball and your Hydra.

If you want to get really technical, I didn't put 1 in Fire Bolt and 20 in Fireball... I put something more like a 7/14 split, since it gave me a stronger Fireball that way. Play around with a skill calculator to see with each point whether you're better off putting it in Fire Bolt or Fire Ball.

As far as when to put the points... put 10 points in Orb and 1 in Cold Mastery AS SOON AS YOU CAN. A 10-point Orb will be more than enough to carry you through Nightmare. After that, I stop developing Orb and return to developing Hydra, since an underdeveloped Orb can kill in hell, but an underdeveloped Hydra has troubles. After I have 50-55 points in Hydra and synergies, I return to pumping the Orb.

Playstyle... Orb, Hydra, Teleport, Static Field, Frozen Armor all hotkeyed to right click. Fireball and Glacial Spike hotkeyed to left click. Orb and Hydra are both timered, so you'll be spamming FB, GS, Static, and Tele between casts.
    Thanks for somebody putting a light on the Hydra-Orb. Lovely build. You use Fireball/GS for spamming and Orb/Hydra for laying down the big fields. I enjoyed playing Hydra/orb alot

IncGamers Member
    yeah thnx for posting your skill layout,looks like a really fun build,just finishing building my light sorc( with infinity using merc)gonna wait till i got enough wealth to get a 15%nightwings just to give orb that little bit extra then im full steam ahead building a hydra-orb,gonna use an infinity merc merc for her too,not to break immunities just to make killing cold immunes with hydra a little quicker, thnx again

Quote Originally Posted by psmuk View Post
    yeah thnx for posting your skill layout,looks like a really fun build,just finishing building my light sorc( with infinity using merc)gonna wait till i got enough wealth to get a 15%nightwings just to give orb that little bit extra then im full steam ahead building a hydra-orb,gonna use an infinity merc merc for her too,not to break immunities just to make killing cold immunes with hydra a little quicker, thnx again
    You don't need to wait for all that Godly Gear. My favorite thing about Hydra/Orb sorcs is that they're great no-twink or even naked characters. Very, very safe, and solid enough killing speed even without any help.

IncGamers Member

Re: Call me crazy, but...Hydra sorc?

This thread comes up top when you google for "Hydra Sorc" so apologize for Thread Necromancy.

I got an idea. Essentially, hydras Synergies suck, 3% more damage per skill point invested really blows in the big picture. On the other hand, Orb really blows damage wise.

I'm thinking of instead doing a blizzspike build with hydra as a backup. The thing about blizzspike is that its damage is so overwhelming, you don't need to fully synergize it. Instead you'd want something that takes care of immunes and works well with a blizz build. You don't even need to max cold mastery due to the way it works.

Does Hydra have what it takes to make a viable alternative to a Blizzballer build?

BlizzHydra

Cold Tree:
    20 Blizzard
    20 Glacial
    10+ Cold Mastery
    Fire Tree:
    20 Hydra
    10+ Fire Mastery

With Prereqs and one point wonders, that makes 92 skill points. As with any build that's strapped for skill points, a ton of +skill items would make this work even better.

Playstyle would be rather unique. the only direct nuke doesn't do damage and instead only serves to freeze cold vulnerable mobs in place. Both Hydra and Blizzard can be placed on the right mouse button and serve to lay down mine fields.

Requesting For Comment.

IncGamers Member

Re: Call me crazy, but...Hydra sorc?

I think synergized Orb has been shown to be better than Blizzard with a single synergy. There's a topic in the knowledge library I think, frozen orb vs. blizzard. It's a very good read.