Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

We need viable Maul pvp build!

Someone needs to come up with a legit Maul build that works for pvp using legitimate items, too. I've done a lot of thinking on "HOW THE HECK IS MAUL GONNA POSSIBLY WORK IN DUELZ" and I've come up with a few thoughts, but basically I come to the same conclusion.... as a skill, it doesn't:

1) ar bonus is too low, compared to fireclaw
    2) you'd have to hit like 15 times to reach peak damage, where if u just put 1 pt into the skill you'd have the same damage accumulated by the end of the duel as you would maxing it. So basically, that's a LOT of points to waste JUST for the ar bonus for dueling.

The only item setup that I see working would be using 40ias Grief PB with Fortitude and SS (phoenix vs casters?), then with 15%oias you'd swing a healthy 7 frames... sry but I think its the only item that competes in damage and speed.

Some different ideas for skill placements might be like:
    20 lycanth
    20 werebear
    8 maul
    20 oak/20 HoW (if needed ar)
    ~40 cyclone synergies

or...
    20 lycanth
    20 werebear (for %damage/defense)
    1 maul
    20 fireclaw
    ~40 fireclaw synergies
    1 oak

Both setups would make a lot more sense than by wasting 20 full points in maul for dueling

Maul works for LLD/MLD. It just doesn't have HLD potential :(

*voiceofhumanity *voiceoftitans *voiceofrevenge *voiceofhcfolks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jary View Post
    Someone needs to come up with a legit Maul build that works for pvp using legitimate items, too. I've done a lot of thinking on "HOW THE HECK IS MAUL GONNA POSSIBLY WORK IN DUELZ" and I've come up with a few thoughts, but basically I come to the same conclusion.... as a skill, it doesn't:

1) ar bonus is too low, compared to fireclaw
    2) you'd have to hit like 15 times to reach peak damage, where if u just put 1 pt into the skill you'd have the same damage accumulated by the end of the duel as you would maxing it. So basically, that's a LOT of points to waste JUST for the ar bonus for dueling.

The only item setup that I see working would be using 40ias Grief PB with Fortitude and SS (phoenix vs casters?), then with 15%oias you'd swing a healthy 7 frames... sry but I think its the only item that competes in damage and speed.

Some different ideas for skill placements might be like:
    20 lycanth
    20 werebear
    8 maul
    20 oak/20 HoW (if needed ar)
    ~40 cyclone synergies

or...
    20 lycanth
    20 werebear (for %damage/defense)
    1 maul
    20 fireclaw
    ~40 fireclaw synergies
    1 oak

Both setups would make a lot more sense than by wasting 20 full points in maul for dueling

It's not only the build .... gear is a very essential thing in this topic. You cant talk about one w/o the other ... it makes no sense. I have very very very very good knowledge in mauler ... at least top 15 on all realms since it is what i deal w/ a lot. But .... as a curiousity ... tell me what gear and thoughts you have with those builds ... i want to see what viability they may have. I will reply w/ what i think after you state your thoughts.

Basically, my point was for duels, maul never reaches its potential unless your able to town charge... and most smiters would pwn u rather than let u do that anyways, and it sucks up too many points... so my point was to sorta "build around" using maul and maybe try going Grief-Maul/Fireclaw hybrid with better ar, or getting some crazy cyclone synergies... and just rely on items for ar bonuses... 'cause even a lvl 18 maul should be good enough for duelz since it'll never reach its potential damage 99% time.

Relative Gear, I'd recommend at least:

Armor: Fortitude (must) *amazing defensive bonuses, ~30 resists, +much needed damage boost
    Weap: Grief PB (must--no exceptions... I'm serious, I've tried a lot they just dont work)
    Helm: Jalal 'Um' --no shael, 'cause I recommend bloodfists...plus you'll need the resists
    Shield: SS -->melee, Phoenix--> casters (great resists/damage additition)
    Gloves: bloodfist (30%fhr, 40 life, enough said) 2nd place: draculs, not 4 lifetap but 4 openwounds
    Boots: Marrowalk (strength 4 Fort, dext 4 ar/block +lifetap on cast, perfect) Since I use bloodfist I dont care for Treks, sry
    Ammy/rings: anghellic ammy, ring; ravenfrost: I can't think of any other better combo really

Stash: ~6Shape/lifers, torch, anni, reist/lifers+++

The advantages are, at around lvl 92 this is an easy 8-10k life build. Also, with an xtra +15% oias (I need to find a way to get an xtra 5% besides bloodfists : / ) grief Mauls at 7 frames, but the slowness in my opinion can easily be made up with good ar and the stun from maul, which sorta evens the score. A good +4shape Cerebrus is also a viable melee duel switch too, since it gives great ar bonus and open wounds ^^
    Well, that's my 2 cents itemwise... wut u think barney

One other method... just to try, might just going all out "lightning stick"--get like 20k+ar with 110% ias phase blade and just go MEGA open wounds+ poison charms with Cerebrus, draculs, Gore Riders, and Duress... something like that. I mean, it'd be sorta a hit and run build... which I never liked, but might have potential in some areas.

Personally I just like the Grief idea better :wink3:

All right, quick calculation: but with ~lvl 8 maul, u get 20-320% damage with about +18 shape skills & ~300% enhanced damage from Werebear.

So basically, Damage= 300% + 20%x, where x is each successive hit. At 320%, you'd have to hit 16 times! factor in +300% from Fort and strength, maybe around +100%, and u get Damage= +700%(weapon) +20%x. This would leave you a good 35 points or so to go cyclone or something.

If your LUCKY you might get 5 hits in a duel, gl....so with enough ar, we can clearly see that maul is worthless so can be disregarded at all costs as long as the ar is there.

IncGamers Member
    :( just doesn't do enough damage, especially considering how the dynamics of melee dueling, DR, and life leech have changed since .09

I don't think the problem is as much AR as it is damage

Yep, especially with everyone running around with CTA and stuff :(. However, as I said earlier (quit ignoring me :P), it's a viable build for LLD and MLD. I guess just some skills that are good in LLD and MLD can't be converted to HLD T-T

IncGamers Member
    Quote Originally Posted by naturebunns View Post
    :( just doesn't do enough damage, especially considering how the dynamics of melee dueling, DR, and life leech have changed since .09

I don't think the problem is as much AR as it is damage
    The problem is a combination of low damage, slow attack, slow blockrate and interruptable attack.

But i still like the Mauler. Have one myself. I like all underpowered chars for some reason. More of a challange i guess..

Is open wounds viable though? I know that at high clvl it can be pretty deadly, although it can be used with some nice poison it doesn't stack : /

I think the equation was like:
    Open Wounds== (clvl*9+40)/256 over 4 secs.

so at like lvl 92, you'll do around 339 damage/4 secs... not bad, since it can't be sorbed or reduced ^^
    Maybe an idea would be to go like 90% open wounds with a lil' bit of poison thrown in and rely on speed and stun to get away? Widowmaker might also be an idea on switch, hmmmmm methinks