Today I trampled over Baal's squishy behind in the last difficulty level, making my avenger Patriarch.
This build immediately followed my E-lot, (elemental zealot).
That character played quite well, but I was still curious about a classic Stick-O-Hurt 2-handed pain-delevering device, AKA an Avenger.
I browsed through Asmodeous' avenger bible, and decided that I'd like a 2-hander with ~400 avg. damage at least. Coincidentally, I also had a 290%ED ribby gathering dust in my stash, which I've always wanted to try.
Putting one and one together (three, I think), I present to ye:
HurtyStick, lvl. 83, Avenger.
Vengeance without prebuffing:
Damage --> 3902 - 6311
AR --> 1677 (Boo! Hiss!)
Vengeance with a little sprinkle of demon limb:
Damage --> 3989 - 6422
AR --> 2856 (More than enough)
My gear and merc are a little bit out-of-the-ordinary, because I couldn't help iincluding a few experiments in this build. I wanted to test two things:
- The usefulness of a Cold Wolf.
- The usefulness of PMDR, or magic damage reduced by X.
A few conclusions:
- I want to wrap my merc's sword around his neck and kill him to death. Then I want to throw his corpse to a bunch of foul beasts and pour his half-digested remains in concrete, and then cast the concrete block into the fiery lava below Diablo's domain. Bastard. Well, he's not entirely useless, I mean, he freezes stuff, but apart from that he sucks harder than a tornado.
Damage: low, survivability: low, intelligence: low.
- With a total PMDR of 71, HurtyStick could tank every bolt/blob/laser beam of elemental damage tossed at him. Gloam champion packs could zap all day long, and he only needed a red potion every once in a while. I went this route in response to the poor elemental tankability of my previous project.
- I will not likely play a two-handed paladin, or similar low-HP character again. He tanked his elements well, but he died so many times to physical harm, that I'm not going to touch a shieldless melee-er with a ten-foot pole(arm) for a long time. These glass cannon melee builds just go against my playing style.
I must say, he performed splendidly when going against single foes, or small packs, but when HurtyStick got surrounded, the Grim Reaper LOL'ed.
I guess a holy freeze merc would have eased my pain.
- I liked my previous zeal-based conviction pally much better. The damage/second ratio was the same, but zealing uninterruptably at 5FPA is superior crowd control to hitting one foe at a time.
Head: Kira's guardian, pimped. 80 all res, +7 to dex.
Neck: Crescent moon, 6%LL, 13%ML [10 PMDR]
Weapon: Upped ribby, listed damage 322-482 (yeah!), 290%ED, Shael'ed
Armor: Eth bugz0red 'Prudence' Wyrmhide, 2589 defence, +29 res all [17 PMDR]
Rings: 2 Dwarf Stars [30 PMDR]
Belt: String of Ears, 8%LL, 15%DR [14 PMDR]
Boots: War Traveler (50%MF, not very relevant to build, but quite nice nonetheless)
Gloves: Something I plopped on in NM and never bothered to take off since, it has light res. and 20% IAS, needed for the 10FPA breakpoint.
Merc's gear: Eth Spirit monarch, spirit crystal sword, eth Shako+PAmethyst.
Merc's total FCR: 95%.
Charms: 44 res all (3 GC), Sharp/fine charms (+38 max damage, +240 AR), and 12% FHR which brings the total to 87% (ribby, prudence, charm), or 4 frames hit recovery.
Oh, Hellforge gave: NM --> Hel, Hell --> Hel.