Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Just nuts ... go Insane Wayne!

That's really cool. Maybe I could do something like this to spice up the game for mE!

Quote Originally Posted by Death_StrikeR
    whats the point for critical strike?!
    CS was absolutely necessary for me in the beginning. I had to punch my way to level 8 (or 9?) before I could hire a rogue merc. Without it, I couldn't counter some monsters' life regen (at least not on p8). Plus, CS synergizes the valk. She has 38% chance to inflict double damage with her beyond-cruel war pike. I plan to put a couple more points there.

Quote Originally Posted by jiansonz
    Finding one shouldnīt take you too long, because you are looking at a 2.4% chance each time a Pike she offers for sale will be what you seek (since any War Pike will be good for you).
    I suppose that's tolerable. Better than I thought. Turns out I can only craft one more safety spear, after cubing 3 Amns to a Sol. I better make it count!

This thread gets better as you progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Insane Wayne
    Monster shrine. I killed all the other monsters first, to ensure the outcome. Good question about the council members. I'm curious if a boss river snake is possible.
    I wonder if it would work on a Gargoyle Trap too :scratch:

IncGamers Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Atil
    I wonder if it would work on a Gargoyle Trap too :scratch:
    I like to play with Monster Shrines. I've tried in the past to change a minion into a unique boss. In my experience, it does not work. It only seems to work for regular monsters, so I assume that it would work on a Water Watcher.

To illustrate, my sorc has a fixed shrine right next to Bremm Sparkfist. It's my habit to kill Bremm and pals before Mephisto. When the shrine rolls as a monster shrine, and I trigger it with none of those vampires left alive, Bremm's minions do not turn into a unique boss. Likewise, it doesn't seem to happen elsewhere when minions are about but no regular monsters.

It never occurred to me to change a flying scimitar into a unique though. A very good thread Wayne. Like many others, I'm following this closely. Good luck!

I must agree. This thread is insanely entertaining. Controlled poisoning?? she is a HC character right?
    Wish you all the best and keep us posted!

Quote Originally Posted by jiansonz
    I see nothing strange about Council Members. If itīs already a boss, nothing will happen. If not, it will become a random Council boss (which otherwise does not exist).
    I think that's the interesting thing. Even though the high councils aren't mentioned individuals in the story (AFAIK) there're no random members of the high council of the Zakarum. So if a random guy named "Fart Brawler" or whatever showed up it would be a little silly IMO. Perfect place for an Easter egg btw, even though I sincerely doubt there're any more of these to discover.

/hijack

Before starting Act 3, I had to mop up two False Tombs, including Kaa's. When I started a new game, I clicked the wrong difficulty and lost my map! Now the tombs were re-shuffled and I had no clue which ones to enter. I cleared two random tombs, which were small. No Kaa. He got a break.

Next order of business was to try another safety spear craft. Following advice from jiansonz, I shopped Fara for a war pike. I started losing my mind, after 100 pikes I saw no war pikes and only 2 lances! Finally I found one, and tried my luck... DAMMIT!!! Not one bit of extra damage! Even the name was a letdown.

I put it behind me and started Act 3 at p5. I was 5 minutes into the Spider Forest, when I decided that I could not let Kaa live, even if it meant violating my single-pass rule. So I went back to Act 2, tried another tomb, and got lucky. I found him early, and he was the only unraveller in the tomb. The rest of the map was still very tough. I had a close call after I cast a Decoy and quickly charged into a hallway, convinced I'd see a mummy casket to be blocked. Instead I ran headfirst into a triple boss pack (2 apparitions and 1 beetle) which diced my Decoy in a second. Good thing I had that extra second, to get my feet going the other direction! They destroyed my merc and valk too. No wonder, there was a Fanat aura and Extra Strong Cursed CE "Snot Skull" leading the attack. Ouch! I had to break them apart slowly.

I cleared the Act 3 jungles at p5. No problems in the outdoor areas except for occasional uber-Thorned Hulk packs. They took forever on p5. Woestave got a lot of useage, to keep flayers, hawks, and apes blinded and unable to flee. I had to box in the champ apes, literally surround them on 4 sides, to keep them still. For such a large size, they are quite slippery.
    I had one severe NDE. An FE Teleport shaman boss, slivered and bleeding from OW, teleported right in my face. I was acutely aware of the possibility, and was able to flee out of the FE blast range by a narrow margin. My guess is a p5 boss FE blast (with -80 fire resist) probably would've killed me. Alkithoe's guardian angel helped her out there. Which reminds me, I did find Guardian Angel Templar Coat in the Arachnid Lair. Nice armor!

After creating that scimitar boss earlier, who'd have guessed I'd have a perfect set-up for a River Snake boss? Indeed, as I approached a dead-end area in the Great Marsh (which contained a super-chest) I spotted a Monster Shrine in there. After clearing the entire map, I went back there and flushed out the river snakes, half a screen away from the shrine. Mizan killed both tails, and I clicked the shrine.... and nothing happened. The snake did not transform.

Flayer Dungeon was gloam-free. I was at p1 just in case. Back to p5 for the Witch Doctor, but no good drops. I was not so lucky in the Swampy Pit. Undead dolls on levels 1 and 2, and gloams on level 2! There were only about 8 or so, and no bosses. I hid behind structures and let Mizan blind them. No problems. My last 2 skill points went to Critical Strike, giving the valk a 46% chance.

I did Lower Kurast at p7, because it had weak monsters. Tons of drops there, even a handful of ethereal elites, including 3 ethereal vambraces. :confused1:
    Still no appropriate elite eth polearms/spears. Instead I was teased with a 1-socket eth colossus voulge and a 4-socket eth thresher (2,3, or 5 would've helped me)

Best non-useful finds:
    Toxic (+100 poison) Small Charm of Balance (5% FHR)
    Guardian Angel
    another fervor jewel
    Impaler War Spear (would make a decent Hyperion Spear, but that's not likely)

Conqueror Alkithoe, 1.11 naked HC zon, level 85, Act 3 Hell, Kurast Bazaar next

But I got the job done, with one hit point left. I call that a "controlled poisoning". HC at its best.
    I'm sorry, I cannot believe that. A wonderful story (absolutely amazing if it were true,) but nothing you say will make me believe it.
    Some of the monsters/poisons have done 50 poison/second or something ridiculous, and I've gone through 5-6 full healing potions.
    I believe (as I myself have done this in HC) that you might've gone to town and let the poison get you down to 1hp, then went back down, just for a nice story. I just can't believe you were saved by 1hp.

Anyway, enough of the disbelief. You've done an absolutely amazing job man! Very patient you are, very brave and very skilled! I hope you make it all the way. Best of luck for the rest of act 3 and beyond!
    An awesome read and even better accomplishment! GL!

Oh, can I have that Guardian Angel. Nice find, sort of. :wink3: jk.

Pure poison can not kill you (in town or not), only reduce you to 1 HP. However, some poison traps (like those in the Flayer Dungeon) will do a small amount of physical damage as well, so you need to watch out there. I have been in the same situation as Wayne when it comes to mummy fighting and sarcophagus blocking after they are dead. Once you manage to block the sarcophagus, you really donīt want to let go of the situation.

Life drain (e.g. from a Malice weapon) can not get you below 1 HP either.

@Wayne:
    Nice to see you went back to give Kaa a good spanking!