Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 42
  1. #31
    IncGamers Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,931
    Quote Originally Posted by EliManning
    I think it's new. It's FIFA caving to the pressure the US has been putting on them to cut the racist crap. I saw one guy for FIFA saying they were even thinking about completely and permanently abandoning any stadium in which the fans pulled their banana crap, but I don't know if they really have the integrity to do that.
    Please, it's not the US (only) it's every fricking country other than Spain & Italy. Other places do know that racism is wrong you know:rolleyes:




  2. #32
    IncGamers Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    709
    Quote Originally Posted by EliManning
    I think it's new. It's FIFA caving to the pressure the US has been putting on them to cut the racist crap. I saw one guy for FIFA saying they were even thinking about completely and permanently abandoning any stadium in which the fans pulled their banana crap, but I don't know if they really have the integrity to do that.
    I really doubt that the US has much influence on anything soccer related.




  3. #33
    IncGamers Member EliManning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,139
    I think you underestimate the power and reach of the American media. Ghana or somebody might say "Man this monkey joke sucks" once in a while, but it's the constant barrage of racism stories in the American news during the lead-up to the Cup that puts real pressure on people. It's pretty much the only story that ESPN ran from June 1 to June 9. Nike made it into a freakin' commercial and sold millions of shoes because of it, no less. People might complain but I guarantee nobody gave it anywhere near the exposure we did.




  4. #34
    IncGamers Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    709
    Quote Originally Posted by EliManning
    I think you underestimate the power and reach of the American media. Ghana or somebody might say "Man this monkey joke sucks" once in a while, but it's the constant barrage of racism stories in the American news during the lead-up to the Cup that puts real pressure on people. It's pretty much the only story that ESPN ran from June 1 to June 9. Nike made it into a freakin' commercial and sold millions of shoes because of it, no less. People might complain but I guarantee nobody gave it anywhere near the exposure we did.
    I cant speak for other countries in europe, but in Denmark, we dont get ESPN. And I cant remember the said ad from nike.
    I imagine the english might get ESPN, but I dont think Germany/Spain/Italy get ESPN either.
    I just dont see the US, as a influence in soccer.




  5. #35
    IncGamers Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,931
    Quote Originally Posted by ADSL
    I cant speak for other countries in europe, but in Denmark, we dont get ESPN. And I cant remember the said ad from nike.
    I imagine the english might get ESPN, but I dont think Germany/Spain/Italy get ESPN either.
    I just dont see the US, as a influence in soccer.
    Eli doesn't have a clue what he/she is talking about. Kick racism out of football has been going on for years and has always included the highest profile stars, because it's just hit the US media he/she feels that the US is changing the world :rolleyes:

    We've been seeing years of Nike adds, kick racism out of football, with all the high profile stars. So no Eli, it wasn't made because the US media that kick started it all.




  6. #36
    IncGamers Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    709
    Quote Originally Posted by myleftfoot
    Eli doesn't have a clue what he/she is talking about. Kick racism out of football has been going on for years and has always included the highest profile stars, because it's just hit the US media he/she feels that the US is changing the world :rolleyes:

    We've been seeing years of Nike adds, kick racism out of football, with all the high profile stars. So no Eli, it wasn't made because the US media that kick started it all.
    Ooh its the "kick the racism out of football" ads, those do actually ring a bell somewhere.




  7. #37
    IncGamers Member S Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Basingstoke, UK
    Posts
    1,139
    Quote Originally Posted by myleftfoot
    Eli doesn't have a clue what he/she is talking about. Kick racism out of football has been going on for years and has always included the highest profile stars, because it's just hit the US media he/she feels that the US is changing the world :rolleyes:

    We've been seeing years of Nike adds, kick racism out of football, with all the high profile stars. So no Eli, it wasn't made because the US media that kick started it all.
    IIRC the start of the concerted effort was sometime in the early to mid 80's in the UK. In fact, racism in all sport was a big deal since the isolation of South Africa as a sporting nation during this period.

    So yeah, not exactly new :wink3:




  8. #38
    IncGamers Member EliManning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,139
    Quote Originally Posted by myleftfoot
    We've been seeing years of Nike adds, kick racism out of football, with all the high profile stars. So no Eli, it wasn't made because the US media that kick started it all.
    I'm going to assume that somewhere between the first sentence and the second you lapsed into some kind of alternate universe where a Nike ad is something besides an American medium.

    Quote Originally Posted by S Z
    So yeah, not exactly new
    I didn't say the pressure was new, I said the rule that ends the game over racism was new. Which it must be since whoever it was said he's seen people ejected from games for breaking it rather than the game being forfeited.

    You guys should pick something else to argue, you're shooting yourselves in the foot at every turn.




  9. #39
    IncGamers Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Busan ROK
    Posts
    948
    Quote Originally Posted by EliManning
    What I'm hearing from someone who saw the actual interview is that Zidane said Materazzi's insults were ones that struck at the very core of his being and his mother and sister were sort of thrown in as afterthoughts to that. Maybe the specific word "terrorist" wasn't used but it sounds pretty ominous, especially with Materazzi admitting to insulting Zidane but not revealing what the insult was.



    FALSE. Getting a red card doesn't make you a lesser player. He's already served the punishment that goes with a red card.
    Well he seems to face insults that strike at the core of his being fairly often as this is the third (fourth) time that this has happened. As for Materazzi owning what he said I don't think that you will see that happen till the investigation into the matter is closed. You will notice that Zidane hasn't told us all the things he said to Materazzi either.

    The red card does call into question whether or not Zidane is an appropriate "poster boy" for soccer. There is some doubt if he would have won if the voting opened after his violent display instead of before it. And lastly additional sanctions can be added to a red card after the fact if FIFA deems that the red card was not sufficient punishment. For example Totti got a three game suspension for spitting a red would have only been one. That said I doubt they will strip him of the title as they have a history of overlooking his violent behavior.




  10. #40
    IncGamers Member PatMaGroin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,298
    Quote Originally Posted by EliManning
    I'm going to assume that somewhere between the first sentence and the second you lapsed into some kind of alternate universe where a Nike ad is something besides an American medium.
    Winner !




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •