Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

act one merc?

hi hi hi, how well do act one mercs stay alive? i have an act 2 freeze merc for my fend azon and he just loves to charge into battle valiantly and die like no other. i cant seem to help h im without investing lots of loot into him. so i was thinkin about makin a faith act one merc to give my zon that aura i love so much. and also the confuse part and reanimated parts are neat too. dream helm on top of that? duress armor? will she survive and help me more than my act 2 one does? thanks

IncGamers Member
    Quote Originally Posted by badlorpian
    hi hi hi, how well do act one mercs stay alive? i have an act 2 freeze merc for my fend azon and he just loves to charge into battle valiantly and die like no other. i cant seem to help h im without investing lots of loot into him. so i was thinkin about makin a faith act one merc to give my zon that aura i love so much. and also the confuse part and reanimated parts are neat too. dream helm on top of that? duress armor? will she survive and help me more than my act 2 one does? thanks
    Well it sounds like ur gonna invest lots of loot into the Act1 merc. :wink3:
    And they don't survive that well, tho they do tend to stay back and not charge into hordes of trouble. Personally I've been using an act3 gmerc and he does a lot better w/ barb (b/c of battle orders and to some extent shout). The same would apply to act1 merc I would guess...low life = fragile. But one thing u don't havta worry about is OK's and Iron Maiden. If you do decide to keep act2 merc I would recommend an eth bugged fort armor if you can swing it...which should not be an issue if ur considering merc faith, dream and duress. Come to think of it, a low str eth fort might be a good choice for act1 bow merc as well. Anyhoo, bak to act2 merc, Andy's w/ ral (to offeset big minus fire res), Vamp gaze or Tal's mask are all decent helms (some life leach is important) and any decent polearm can work well...reaper's toll is a cheap alternative or an eth Obediance Thresher, CA or Great Pole. If you have more to spend on him a BotD polearm or Ghost Spear or War Pike makes him godly & prolly wouldn't be much harder to come by than all the stuff u laid out for act 1 merc. Bad part is no matter how much you do for him, he'll still rush head on into OK's and die instantly...

I just used one for change of pace with my first fling into hardcore and did complete Hell. She's a bit dumb at times and I have to reposition myself for her to get involved. She likes to watch too much!
    My character was a Necro Summoner with a clay man tank and the merc was acting more like another skellie or revive but with a good ranged attack. You get what you pay for! So it may not be appropriate for other character builds. I had no problems with her dying and used average self found items.

Use a defiance merc and stuff him with high defense armor/helm and leech. These guys can survive until you dispatch the monsters surrounding him.

IncGamers Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sirwhere
    Use a defiance merc and stuff him with high defense armor/helm and leech. These guys can survive until you dispatch the monsters surrounding him.
    Ya, the defiance mercs are nice...but those might / freeze mercs are just so temping. :wink3:

I might add...that I have little exp w/ an act 1 merc....tho I did make one in SP w/ Faith, Fort and Tal's iirc (I have the txt file that allows ladder runewords in SP, btw). I recall several WSK runs (my acid test) and her dying quite a bit...and she wuz level 98 cuz my test char wuz just whipped up w/ an editor (aka insta-level99).

IncGamers Member
    ok, i getting the picture. but what i should emphasize here is that i want that aura going under my footsies. using a skill like fend it gets more than a lil difficult at times. fanat would be such a huge help. how would her killing power be with a fort on her?

i also like the reanimated part too, how long do they last? and how do they do as tanks? are there enough of them getting summoned to have a lil army going most the time? does it reanimate any dead monster, or just ones kiled by merc? is there a limit to how many get raised?

act 2 frostie merc uses duress now, tals armor and obedience and he just pisses me off. aura doesnt help with the slow much it seems, his dmg is neglidgable, and hes not a very good tank; the act one merc would be even worse tank, but thats why i raised queries about the reanimated horde mod. thnx.

First off, mercs cant have minions, so there wouldnt be any reanimated thingys. Also, i think they are somehow "neutral" as you have no control over them (assuming they would spawn, you using the faith or something else) but they attack monsters as normal.

This is what happens on the tomb reaver atleast if i remember correctly.
    (i hate iirc, thats why i wrote it out fyi (<= hate that too))

edit:

I think theyre reanimated from the corpse of the monster, but theyre always "returned" (skellies)
    Reanimated only from merc kills would seem logical.

Act 1 mercs are pretty good at staying alive as long as they have leech. If you have a faith, you can probably get a hold of a fort armor for more damage. Top it off with a leech helm, maybe vampgaze.
    Keep in mind that the ed from fanat is only half for party members (you). It also has a short range.
    And a fender? Fend is bugged, it's pretty ugly. There are some nice lightning spear skills that would still benefit from fanat.
    The returneds are pretty lame. My strafer almost always killed every thing on the screen before they could shuffle over to the enemy. They don't follow you either, they'll walk a bit to the nearest enemy, but that's it.

IncGamers Member
    Quote Originally Posted by badlorpian
    lol, to make ur act2 merc survive u just need reapers toll, gaze, and shaft or levi . thats what 1 hr or maybe an Um rune combined. Hell I got 215 shaft for 10 pgems, gaze + other items for 20 pgems, and the thresher is very cheap too. Maybe u can get it all for just a pul rune worth of pgems.

Banned
    Act 2 Might merc with Obedience.