Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Hm, might be worth checking out. Haven't played in a while but iirc, Prayer synergises Meditation so you'd get effectively double Prayer. On the other hand, if you do not use the insight polearm you'd only have half the regen you are used to.

I have to admit I never tested this but I have always been happy with my defiant mercs performance.

Belated replay to ndt: I would recommend pretty much the same allocation as for twinked play. Roughly 100 Str / 200 Dex / rest in Vit. With that you'll be able to use most bows, javelins and armour while having a good HP pool.

IncGamers Member
    I went with a Prayer/Insight merc for my LF/FA Zon, worked very well. Did miss the meditation when fighting Baal though (I switched for a Kelpie Snare).

IncGamers Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightfish View Post
    Belated replay to ndt: I would recommend pretty much the same allocation as for twinked play. Roughly 100 Str / 200 Dex / rest in Vit. With that you'll be able to use most bows, javelins and armour while having a good HP pool.
    Hello, excellent guide I must say. I'm back to the game after quite a long time and since I always liked zons I checked up the guide to see if there's something appealing to do; and this is the one it really drew my attention.

Now my question is: beside playing untwinked (as I just restarted) I also play hardcore. I realize that I need strength and dex to equip bows and javelins but can't those stats that you recommend be reduced somehow? After all I can build melody in any 'lesser' bow... I dont remember the exact requirements of titans but 'I think' they might require less str and dex. After all, we are not after the physical damage and our AR is pitiful anyway...

In short, do you recommend the same distribution for untwinked HC or should I try to sacrifice strength or dex for extra life? Or course, the later would mean going light armor-wise as well.

Anyhow, thanks again for the guide, great work

EDIT: Just wanted to add that this build is nice for starting HC, as in fact it develops right from lvl 1 as opposed to most power build where you have to wait to higher levels to invest your skill points, therefore making your character quite week in the beginning (if untwinked). Jab, and then charged strike are gonna help a lot to reach lvl 30+.

Last edited by wwyvern; 18-07-2007 at 09:34.

Quote Originally Posted by wwyvern View Post
    Hello, excellent guide I must say. I'm back to the game after quite a long time and since I always liked zons I checked up the guide to see if there's something appealing to do; and this is the one it really drew my attention.

Now my question is: beside playing untwinked (as I just restarted) I also play hardcore. I realize that I need strength and dex to equip bows and javelins but can't those stats that you recommend be reduced somehow? After all I can build melody in any 'lesser' bow... I dont remember the exact requirements of titans but 'I think' they might require less str and dex. After all, we are not after the physical damage and our AR is pitiful anyway...

In short, do you recommend the same distribution for untwinked HC or should I try to sacrifice strength or dex for extra life? Or course, the later would mean going light armor-wise as well.
    The stats you pick depends on these item factors I think (rest in vit):
    Titans (pretty much a must) 109 dexterity 25 strength
    Is there a chance that stormshield will be used later on? 156 strength
    Will thunderstroke or an upgraded titan’s be used? 107 strength and 151 dexterity
    To go for max blocking or not is also a factor.

I guess it comes down to if you are going to mf later or not.

Other than that, yes, do try to sacrifice as much strength and dex as you can for extra life when playing HC. You don’t need AR anyway to hit with either charged strike, lightning fury or freezing arrow. Anyway, it might help having some of it to help piercing freezing arrows do splash damage (IIRC a piercing freezing arrow doesn’t do splash damage to targets behind the first unless it has scored a hit physically) but my amazon has around 5k AR without any real effort in getting it.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that this build is nice for starting HC, as in fact it develops right from lvl 1 as opposed to most power build where you have to wait to higher levels to invest your skill points, therefore making your character quite week in the beginning (if untwinked). Jab, and then charged strike are gonna help a lot to reach lvl 30+.
    Agreed!

(hope I weren't being too indistinct :wink3: )

Last edited by asdfgah; 18-07-2007 at 13:46. Reason: TYPO :(

IncGamers Member
    @asdfgah: Thank you for the very informative and helpful post. To be honest I don't really know what I want out of my amazon; as I said, I started from zero and so far my best item is bloodfists, therefore I'm not in a position to say 'I'll have a SS at a certain point in time therefore I should invest some more str for it'. Moreover, when you switch to bow the block dissapears anyway, so I figured I'd rather go with life.

But yes, I'd like to do MF if I can bring her alive to end act5 hell.

To be honest, I think I'll go with Nightfish' suggestion. I mean, better take a bit more risk but have some flexibility in equipment later on. Maybe I can downsize a bit the dex requirement, to 150 or so, though. I think 100 str/150 dex base stats should be more than enough to wear whatever comes along, even SS (hel socketed).

Quote Originally Posted by wwyvern View Post
    @asdfgah: Thank you for the very informative and helpful post. To be honest I don't really know what I want out of my amazon; as I said, I started from zero and so far my best item is bloodfists, therefore I'm not in a position to say 'I'll have a SS at a certain point in time therefore I should invest some more str for it'. Moreover, when you switch to bow the block dissapears anyway, so I figured I'd rather go with life.

But yes, I'd like to do MF if I can bring her alive to end act5 hell.

To be honest, I think I'll go with Nightfish' suggestion. I mean, better take a bit more risk but have some flexibility in equipment later on. Maybe I can downsize a bit the dex requirement, to 150 or so, though. I think 100 str/150 dex base stats should be more than enough to wear whatever comes along, even SS (hel socketed).
    Sounds like you're making a good choice
    As a note, my 'zon has the strength and dex required for tstroke and SS, and still over 1k life so you will do fine anyway I guess.
    Good luck!

IncGamers Member
    Thank you

IncGamers Member
    First great guide...after reading it i wanted to try it so i started one "fishyzon".
    I have a question though....I know this guide is in single player, but i am playing in ladder... and i was wondering what would be best between Harmony and Melody....if someone could help me on this point...As i am new in bow i dont know what would be best...
    One offers +3skill and 20%ias while the other one offers 200-275%ed, +55-160 cold damage, mana regeneration and vigor aura...
    So i could take some advice before i find wich bow i will use... Thanks in advance and great guide again!

@Foxy Neko:

Depends on what you think is "best"
    (Melody offers +6skill, it's harmony that only adds +3skill.)

For this specific build the "200-275%ed" does not help you much, as the AR for this build will be really low, the physical part of the arrows do not hit.
    This build is done around the auto-hit of both LF and FA. (skipping the need for AR completely)

IIRC: In much the same sense the added lightning and fire damage of the harmony is not applied regularly.

Personally I would say melody is better as harmony for this build.

One (cheap) bow that does get close in good damage is "Wizendraw". A high end version does -35% to cold res, which has real potential to adding good damage for FA. (edit: it's a bit slower though)

Randall

BattleTag maxicek-2583
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy Neko View Post
    First great guide...after reading it i wanted to try it so i started one "fishyzon".
    I have a question though....I know this guide is in single player, but i am playing in ladder... and i was wondering what would be best between Harmony and Melody....if someone could help me on this point...As i am new in bow i dont know what would be best...
    One offers +3skill and 20%ias while the other one offers 200-275%ed, +55-160 cold damage, mana regeneration and vigor aura...
    So i could take some advice before i find wich bow i will use... Thanks in advance and great guide again!
    Melody is by far the better bet. Physical damage is not important for this build, it is the +skills that count. Make melody in a +3 bow skills bow and you have +6 to frozen arrow.

Other bow options - Lycander's Aim (+4 skills), Wizendraw (for the -cold res).

Edit: Badly pwned by Randall