Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

What causes Andariel bug drop. Test results - DEBUNKED

First, to debunk means to prove something to be wrong.

Disclaimer: I have no intention of offending the starter of the thread about Andariel bug drop. Test results.

here's what I did today.

I finished NM Act I a while go, so I decided to go back.
    In the first 2 trips, I got 3+ Uniques each time.
    In the next 2 trips, I got 2 Uniques and 1 Set Item (great helm and battle gauntlet) each time.

Then, I saved existed.
    and then I followed the steps that would "start" the bug
    and all i got was 2 rare/blue unIDed item.

and i tried doing the trip like that again 23 times on /players 8
    and I got nothing better

and i have patch 1.11, so it's not the patch's fault.

anyone have any idea how to "start" the bug after beating like act 3?

Quote Originally Posted by htotheh
    Then, I saved existed.
    and then I followed the steps that would "start" the bug
    and all i got was 2 rare/blue unIDed item.
    What do you mean you followed the steps to "start" the bug? You only have 1 chance per character per difficulty to start the Andy Quest drop bug, and that's straight after you kill Andy for the quest. If you do not travel to Act 2 in the same game as soon as you complete the "Kill Andariel" quest for the first time, you cannot simply go back and re-activate it for that character.

Are you getting gold with the drops that Andy does?

BattleTag Hrus-1210
    You can't activate the bug if your character is in act2 or later. You either have it permanently or not. (If you wanted to simulate the steps in my test, you have to have a saved backup before killing Andariel for the first time)
    And I think that you don't know how to recognize the quest drop.
    You will recognize only the non-quest drop, if it will contains gold or potion or scroll or arrows/bolts or blue item of the type that do have a set version. (Quest drop have at least rare quality, but can spawn blue items as a result of failed set check. Failed set items have 2x more durability than normal items, some items like javelins, charms do not have durability though...)
    Because andariel drops gold or "junk" items as potions and scrolls quite often if it is a non-quest drop, 2 or 3 kills on /players7 will be sufficient.

IncGamers Member
    oh i finished act I, then I followed the steps that Hrus had in his thread, and now im in Act 3, and i went back, and it didnt work

BattleTag Hrus-1210
    You have to:
    1) have a character that didn't kill andy so far (has not completed Andy quest)
    2) make a game
    3) kill Andariel
    4) talk to Warriv immediatly after killing Andariel (in the same game)
    5) From now on, in all future games you will make in that difficulty with that character, Andariel will drop from the quest TC. You can't do anything to prevent it.

Which step is wrong for you?
    If it is number 5), are you really sure it's a no-quest drop like I described it in my previous post?

she can still roll a no-drop though...even from her quest drop, IIRC...

IncGamers Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hrus
    You have to:
    1) have a character that didn't kill andy so far (has not completed Andy quest)
    2) make a game
    3) kill Andariel
    4) talk to Warriv immediatly after killing Andariel (in the same game)
    5) From now on, in all future games you will make in that difficulty with that character, Andariel will drop from the quest TC. You can't do anything to prevent it.

Which step is wrong for you?
    If it is number 5), are you really sure it's a no-quest drop like I described it in my previous post?
    well heres what i did

1. finish game on normal
    2. go into nightmare, beat first 5 quests of Act I, start andy quest
    3. kill andariel, (2 unique 1 exceptional/elite forgot which one)
    3. TP back and talk to warriv.
    4. save exit
    5. start game again and kill andariel a few times (10ish) got 2 set items, that's it... save exit
    6. act ii, act iii.
    7. (i could just start killing mephisto now since he has better overall drops)
    8. back to at i
    9. kill andy without talking to anyone in act i (1 elite/exc. 1 set, a few uniques)
    10. talk to cain, ID items, sell them, save exit
    11. kill andy again, 6 unique items, talk to cain, ID items, sell save exit.
    12. new game, talk to warriv, kill andy, 2 rares (blue names)

Hrus i still don't quite follow your steps =(

BattleTag Hrus-1210
    htotheh - I will follow YOUR steps.

1. finish game on normal
    OK
    2. go into nightmare, beat first 5 quests of Act I, start andy quest
    OK
    3. kill andariel, (2 unique 1 exceptional/elite forgot which one)
    OK
    3. TP back and talk to warriv.
    OK
    4. save exit
    OK
    5. start game again and kill andariel a few times (10ish) got 2 set items, that's it... save exit
    OK
    6. act ii, act iii.
    OK
    7. (i could just start killing mephisto now since he has better overall drops)
    OK
    8. back to at i
    This means back to act 1 with the same character? In that case, everything should be allright.
    9. kill andy without talking to anyone in act i (1 elite/exc. 1 set, a few uniques)
    OK
    10. talk to cain, ID items, sell them, save exit
    OK
    11. kill andy again, 6 unique items, talk to cain, ID items, sell save exit.
    You mean 6 unique items from 1 Andariel kill? That really deserved a screenshot.
    12. new game, talk to warriv, kill andy, 2 rares (blue names)
    What do you try to say? That after talking to Warriv, she will not drop from her quest TC or what? And what does it mean "2 rares (blue names)"? Did she dropped 2 magic items (blue color) or 2 rare items (yellow color)?

I just don't understand what do you want to "debunk"?
    So far I didn't find anything that denies my statement from my previous thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hrus
    So to activate Andy drop bug, you need to talk with Warriv in the same game when you kill Andy for the first time.

EDIT: Try to kill her few times and see if she will drop gold or poition or scroll or arrows/bolts. If she will not drop some of that, you have the bug activated.

IncGamers Member
    htotheh, you haven't really debunked anything here without knowing exactly what type of items dropped as magical (blue). Getting magic items from an act boss doesn't always mean you're not getting the quest drop. Hrus already tried to explain this to you, but I'll give it another shot:

The quality of an item drop from an act boss can either be magical (blue), rare (yellow), set (green), or unique (gold). The game first picks the item type based on the base items that can actually be dropped by that particular act boss (great helm, naga, bone shield, etc.), then picks the quality based on your magic find and whether it's a quest drop or a regular drop (magical, rare, set, unique).

In the case of a quest drop, the game skips past the magical quality and only picks between rare, set, and unique. So say, for example, the game picks the item type as naga. Then, based on your magic find and the fact that it's a quest drop, it picks the item quality as set.

The problem is there's no such thing as a set naga. At this point, instead of reverting back to a rare naga (which for some would be the logical thing to do) the game turns the "set naga" into a magical naga with double durability. This is just how the game generates items, so even with a quest drop it's possible to get magical items (it's even possible to get all magical items, although it won't happen all that often).

So if you had proof that the magical items that dropped were failed set items (i.e. they had double durability and there's no set item for that particular item type) then you could say you've debunked Hrus' theory. Otherwise nothing's really been proven.

IncGamers Member
    im confused.
    i followed hrus's steps and it didnt work
    since it works for everyone else idk what to do.

is it only for bnet?