Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Driving Standard?

Im thinking aboot getting a Honda Civic, but ive never driven a standard before and wouldnt know were to begin. Is it hard? I heard its really easy to stall is that true? etc. Any thoughts?

IncGamers Member ZiplockBaggiesX's Avatar
    its not that difficult. You need to get somebody who's been driving standard for a while to teach you well, and with practice you'll be all set. its easy to stall out especially when you first start, but usually stalling out doesnt cause any serious damage to your car, but if you mess up bad you can strip a gear or something and then you need a new transmission, which sucks, but if you're pretty careful and not retarded you should be fine.

Funny stories ensue when you first start driving stick and you are going up and down hills and stuff. :grin:

I prefer standard to automatic - I find it's more fun, although it can be a real pain in heavy traffic. Driving standard can actually really be a bonus in slippery weather, as you can control the whell spinning a little better.

It's not that hard to learn. I learned in a few hours, and had it largely perfected by the end of a week. It's all about the feel of the friction point. :smiley:

IncGamers Member
    Only girls and *** guys like manual. You should know that.

IncGamers Member
    automatic cuz im lazy.

I had a hell of a time learning the stick shift, but I was also simultaneously learning how to drive, so I was a little overwhelmed.

I have never owned an automatic but my next car most certainly will be. If I gave a flying flip about going fast or racing, I would certainly stay with manual, but I don't, so I won't.

I don't like having to use both hands to drive. And both feet. That is like 100% more effort. Yeesh.

Banned
    GO auto!!!

More fun? Driving is a chore and having to do more things makes it more of a chore.

Quote Originally Posted by Merick
    More fun? Driving is a chore and having to do more things makes it more of a chore.
    Agreed. I hate driving.

The weird thing about learning to drive standard is that you get away with a lot more than you seem to when you know what you're doing. When I learned to drive standard I somehow managed to get the vehicle from a complete stop facing up on a 30 degree hill from 4th gear. No idea how I did that and haven't done it since...

I love driving. But I hate traffic.

If you live in an area with a lot of traffic, I would NOT get a standard. But if you do a lot of back road or open road driving, hell yeah go for it, it can be a lot of fun.