Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    IncGamers Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexzed
    Apples to apples!
    Then why are you comparing science to religion? That's more of an apples to brightly colored giraffes argument.

Or are you foolishly assuming that because one believes in a certain invisible dude in the sky that they must reject science? Seems to me a more logical reason for misrepresenting the science in the current administration is that the scientific results point out the failed or poor policy decisions made thus far.

But your science good, religion bad thing is guaranteed to get the usual gang of clowns clowning it up like some sort of clown game at a national clowning convention. So good job with that.

IncGamers Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maccool
    Then why are you comparing science to religion? That's more of an apples to brightly colored giraffes argument.
    lol - great analogy!

Or are you foolishly assuming that because one believes in a certain invisible dude in the sky that they must reject science?
    nope

Seems to me a more logical reason for misrepresenting the science in the current administration is that the scientific results point out the failed or poor policy decisions made thus far.
    That's one take on it, sure. And very vaild. However, saying that abortions lead to increased breast cancer, condoms aren't effective and other things ARE religiously motivated.

But your science good, religion bad thing is guaranteed to get the usual gang of clowns clowning it up like some sort of clown game at a national clowning convention. So good job with that.
    thanks. Now stop twisting my words to create an argument that isn't there. My point, and only point, is that people who damage other people because of their beliefs are bad, mmmkay? And I was referring to jmeryn's reference to Richard the L.

Now excuse me, I have some greasepaint to apply.

lol - great analogy!
    I like giraffes.

That's one take on it, sure. And very vaild. However, saying that abortions lead to increased breast cancer, condoms aren't effective and other things ARE religiously motivated.
    However, there's a far cry from oranges (death penalty for religious belief) and colored giraffes (pandering to an electoral segment with potential junk science & misinformation). Plus, the giraffes are often confused with the zebras: Shrub's science guys aren't the brightest sparks or that the administration may use red-meat issues on religious right topics, but that gets mixed with the "You won't fund my GLBT research, you NAZI" and "My unfounded speculation as to why Republicans are evil deserves Gov't funding".

thanks. Now stop twisting my words to create an argument that isn't there. My point, and only point, is that people who damage other people because of their beliefs are bad, mmmkay? And I was referring to jmeryn's reference to Richard the L.
    My reference was actually due to Michael Crichton's research on his "Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" novel. In his historical notes, I believe he talks about the degree to which medieval knights were greater zealots than your most rabid modern snake-handling Baptist. To sentence someone to death for heresy, blasphemy, and the like hasn't been part of western culture for quite some time - the oft-touted Witch Trials were based on the admittedly silly concept that these individuals were attempting to harm others through supernatural means rather than simply do something outside of their religious belief. Keep in mind that beliefs like rural druidic/paganism and voodoo were known to them (and was that particular incident's source).

Now excuse me, I have some greasepaint to apply.
    Don't forget the balloon giraffes.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternium
    I heard their view put this way: They're not killing him for being a Christian, but for leaving Islam. Had he been Jewish and converted, no one would have cared.

Hey, that's Sharia for you. For the 7th and 8th centuries, it was pretty good.
    call me evil, but I don't think this system of laws should exist. It is hard for me to imagine a time when there will be peace with a government that supports this type of action.

It's one thing when a group or a church thinks something is wrong, it's another when they insist on killing people who disagree with them and even worse when they say it's in the name of their government.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevinator
    call me evil, but I don't think this system of laws should exist. It is hard for me to imagine a time when there will be peace with a government that supports this type of action.

It's one thing when a group or a church thinks something is wrong, it's another when they insist on killing people who disagree with them and even worse when they say it's in the name of their government.

There you go thinking again.

Stop that, you'll never fit in in the Middle East if you keep that up.

Quote Originally Posted by quietus
    There you go thinking again.

Stop that, you'll never fit in in the Middle East if you keep that up.
    Well, I think Steve is in America, so he's got a little while before Shariiah is enacted. Europe, OTOH... :scratch:

Quote Originally Posted by jmervyn
    Well, I think Steve is in America, so he's got a little while before Shariiah is enacted. Europe, OTOH... :scratch:

Hmmm. American... well, the same applies there anyway, doesn't it? Just smile, nod, go along with the Big Man In The White Office, and don't cause too many waves...

Hmmm. American... well, the same applies there anyway, doesn't it? Just smile, nod, go along with the Big Man In The White Office, and don't cause too many waves...
    you better watch it, dick cheney read that.

Yah, we're all just a bunch of clones from central casting. :lipsrsealed:

I love it when they start talking about things like tolerance and rights and so forth and in doing so illustrate poignantly that they have no understanding of the concepts at all.

It isn't so much a question of their belief system as how bad their religious traditions have been colored by local & historical influences.
    Did you just say something sensible and measured about Muslim extremism? *Ducks to avoid flying pigs, but slips on icy surface of Hell*

"We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity." Could be argued to be the same...
    You have to bear in mind that there are (at least) two Americas. One that's a perfectly normal, functional 21st century Western democracy, and the one that's a ***-bashing, jury's-still-out-on-evolution-believing, you're-either-with-us-or-you're-against-us-yelling Medieval society.

If you want to find a Westerner of any public note who held religious convictions of this type, you'd have to go back to someone like Richard the Lionheart.
    Or take a stroll through Utah or rural Alabama.

My point was that there are nutjobs everywhere, and rather than just pigeonhole an entire culture, have a look around.
    Yeah, there are certainly nuts of the same calibre in Western society and they certainly need a good kick, but you really can't compare the two societies like that. Even under Bush.

In his historical notes, I believe he talks about the degree to which medieval knights were greater zealots than your most rabid modern snake-handling Baptist.
    Not really true. They may have been more extreme in their actions, but that was what it was like at the time. Their beliefs were at best comparable. And by the way, the Witch hunts were more about hunting down schismatists than actual witches. I once heard that twice as many men were caught as women.