Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 71
  1. #61
    IncGamers Member WildBerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    6,328
    Quote Originally Posted by jmervyn
    Ask & ye shall get a link. The song & dance about 72 pre-teen girls as sex toys for every martyr isn't exactly a reasonable theological construct, you know... along with clitorectimies and all the other fun, it is due to the tribal influences.
    Huh? I read through your link but nowhere were those things associated with the Sufi on the link. Actually, the link sorta shot you in the leg, since it postulated something that I already knew, that Sufi are at all not the same as Wahabi, which you just seemed to lump together. (and besides, knowing my history as not terribly excited over military-superiority issues, you might want to reconsider next time when sending me a link that begins by loading pictures of some MF'ing (and that's not Magic Finding, since this is off-topic forum) tanks in the banners. It sorta takes a bit off the credibility, should there actually have been any association between the Sufi and those clitorectimies and stuff.

    Only fishy thing going against the Sufi in that article was the vague connection between them and al-Qaeda, saying that all Islamic Brotherhoods are in a sense Sufi based on their structural similarities. That's like saying that every Western, secretive order is in a sense Masonic. Basically true but showing similarity of tradition / habit is not the same as being the same thing.




  2. #62
    IncGamers Member jmervyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    12,936
    Quote Originally Posted by WildBerry
    Huh? I read through your link but nowhere were those things associated with the Sufi on the link.
    My point, of course, is that much of the garbage that groups like the Brotherhood or Al-Quaeda spout are drawn more from Sufist mysticism than anything 'scriptural'. Claiming that Sufist is a misnomer is just as invalid as claiming Evangelical is a misnomer for Christians (since Christians are instructed to evangelize).

    Quote Originally Posted by WildBerry
    and besides, knowing my history as not terribly excited over military-superiority issues, you might want to reconsider next time when sending me a link that begins by loading pictures of some MF'ing (and that's not Magic Finding, since this is off-topic forum) tanks in the banners. It sorta takes a bit off the credibility, should there actually have been any association between the Sufi and those clitorectimies and stuff.
    So you don't accept Wiki, and you want something more specific yet compatible with your sensibilities? I've been criticized all over the OTF for providing links that aren't acceptable to people because of their political tastes, but this is the first time that I've heard someone object to the banners. Maybe I better start throwing some anncoulter.com links your way :laugh:

    Would you prefer to use this?




  3. #63
    IncGamers Member WildBerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    6,328
    Quote Originally Posted by jmervyn
    My point, of course, is that much of the garbage that groups like the Brotherhood or Al-Quaeda spout are drawn more from Sufist mysticism than anything 'scriptural'. Claiming that Sufist is a misnomer is just as invalid as claiming Evangelical is a misnomer for Christians (since Christians are instructed to evangelize).

    Weeeell, yea, I actually agree with on this one. To a point. But since already
    is a subset of Christians called Evangelical, pointing at a Catholic and calling him a Evangelical might still get you, if not whacked, at least scolded for your ignorance. In the fashion, while sufi as an adjective might fit the Islamic Brotherhoods (which, as your link mentioned, are not all evil ppl) to some extent, Sufi as a noun is not fit to describe them.

    And honestly, why do you think the things they say are sufist? Unless you cross-reference some Sufist texts with Al-Qaeda comments (which might be hard, to my knowledge the Sufi have been rather unwilling to make a tome, as it affronts the whole individuality-thing), you're just shooting blanks. I might think that any posts here that do not make sense might look like as dada, but they still wouldn't be dada, since dada as a movement within early 1900's avantgarde art is a historical phenomenon that hardly will appear on this forum. And besides, I still would like to know why you pulled the virgins waiting in paradise / cliteroctomy / etc. issues into this whole Sufist deal, having nothing to fall back on that?

    Quote Originally Posted by jmervyn
    So you don't accept Wiki, and you want something more specific yet compatible with your sensibilities? I've been criticized all over the OTF for providing links that aren't acceptable to people because of their political tastes, but this is the first time that I've heard someone object to the banners. Maybe I better start throwing some anncoulter.com links your way :laugh:
    Huh, maybe you should. My reaction would be sure to get me banned, though if my previous reading of Coulter still holds, I cannot be angry at her as much as pity the poor soul. But as to Wiki, I don't completely disallow it, I just don't like it being used as a sole source, as you're bound to make double-checking anyway, since as we know, Wiki has no moderators on the reliability side. There are true things too @ Wiki. And the complain wasn't as much on the tanks as it was GlobalSecurity pages - military people have this funny way of equating terrorism and Islam, which might do away with a bit objectivity. It makes me think that people in uniform have lost their basic mathematic group skills. A part of a group belonging to one other group also does not make the latter group wholly belonging to the first.

    Quote Originally Posted by jmervyn
    OK, so you tell me these Wahabi are funny guys. What does that do explain your previous views on the Sufi, who, as your first link told me, don't very much like the former?

    I'd have to agree with some criticism on your links: you tend to post pretty informative links, but a bit too often they are wholly irrelevant to the discussion at hand. Awww J, you such a smart guy, don't make yourself look bad with bad arguments, make them good to start with since I know you can, mmmkay?




  4. #64
    IncGamers Member jmervyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    12,936
    Quote Originally Posted by WildBerry
    In the fashion, while sufi as an adjective might fit the Islamic Brotherhoods (which, as your link mentioned, are not all evil ppl) to some extent, Sufi as a noun is not fit to describe them.
    Boy, was that hard to follow - don't you put your words in my mouth!

    I don't think you can really call the Brotherhood and Al-Quaeda Wahabists any more than you seem to feel I can call them Sufists. They certainly aren't puritanical or traditional, which I believe are both markers associated with Wahabism. Therefore, I referred to the "mix" of screaming about orthodoxy whilst drunkenly banging hookers on your way to meet Allah through slaughter as Wahabi/Sufi. What would <you> prefer to call their version of "cafeteria Islam" (other than heresy)?

    Quote Originally Posted by WildBerry
    And besides, I still would like to know why you pulled the virgins waiting in paradise / cliteroctomy / etc. issues into this whole Sufist deal, having nothing to fall back on that?
    Sufis incorporate tribal mysticism into Islam, as the links have mentioned. If you have better terminology, knock yourself out. My understanding is that "Salafism" is not the correct descriptor for the belief in the nuttier writings outside the regular Qu'ran. In my context it would be similar to referring to the so-called "Gnostic Gospels" as Catholicism.

    Quote Originally Posted by WildBerry
    military people have this funny way of equating terrorism and Islam, which might do away with a bit objectivity. It makes me think that people in uniform have lost their basic mathematic group skills. A part of a group belonging to one other group also does not make the latter group wholly belonging to the first.
    I'll be crystal clear - if I have a true bias in me, it is against middle eastern Arabs of the teeth-gnashing America-hating variety. I went to high school with some, and later had others attending the same university I was at. While I had the hots for an Iranian babe in high school, and have been good (even best once) friends with Muslims, they've all been "westernized". My concern, and the concern of many westerners, is that these militant loons seem to be at the wheel (thanks in no small part to the U.S. support for the House of Saud, I'm sure).

    Quote Originally Posted by WildBerry
    OK, so you tell me these Wahabi are funny guys. What does that do explain your previous views on the Sufi, who, as your first link told me, don't very much like the former?
    Hope I've made this clear regarding the "cafeteria" comment.




  5. #65
    IncGamers Member WildBerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    6,328
    Quote Originally Posted by jmervyn
    Boy, was that hard to follow - don't you put your words in my mouth!
    Whoop de doo :laugh: My connection to OTF has been very sporadic, cutting off every 5 minutes, and has produced kind of funny looking messages. This is one of them. I did not mean to make you think that you say silly things like I do :smiley:

    Quote Originally Posted by jmervyn
    I don't think you can really call the Brotherhood and Al-Quaeda Wahabists any more than you seem to feel I can call them Sufists. They certainly aren't puritanical or traditional, which I believe are both markers associated with Wahabism. Therefore, I referred to the "mix" of screaming about orthodoxy whilst drunkenly banging hookers on your way to meet Allah through slaughter as Wahabi/Sufi. What would <you> prefer to call their version of "cafeteria Islam" (other than heresy)?
    Chinese restaurant islam? But I like yours, it has originality. Let's call it that and be happy.

    *chuckles to himself* "Cafeteria Islam... now that's a good one"




  6. #66
    IncGamers Member Dondrei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    In my pants
    Posts
    36,857
    Quote Originally Posted by EtherealSoul
    I'm sick of people claiming they are "Christian" and don't even know anything about their own religion
    Ditto.

    Quote Originally Posted by DPH
    So should we be tolerant of Nazi's? It is their beliefs...
    Exactly. Somehow a belief is much more precious if it's religious...

    Quote Originally Posted by WildBerry
    Huh? I read through your link but nowhere were those things associated with the Sufi on the link.
    Welcome to Arguing With Jmervyn. Prepare to be inundated with links to websites that are either irrelevant to the discussion, run by nutcase extremists (for which JM takes no responsibility and is not associated with in any way, their views do not represent him despite the fact that he constantly links to them to back up his arguments. "Haha, Ann Coulter is a nut and I don't endorse her views, but everything she says is absolutely 100% true") or actually contrary to the point he's making. Sooner or later you learn not to bother, he's just throwing them at you like caltrops in the hope they'll slow you down and waste your time.

    Quote Originally Posted by WildBerry
    "Cafeteria Islam... now that's a good one"
    I'm sending my religion back, it has a jihad in it.




  7. #67
    IncGamers Member jmervyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    12,936
    Quote Originally Posted by dondrei
    Welcome to Arguing With Jmervyn. Prepare to be inundated with links to websites that are either irrelevant to the discussion, run by nutcase extremists (for which JM takes no responsibility and is not associated with in any way, their views do not represent him despite the fact that he constantly links to them to back up his arguments. "Haha, Ann Coulter is a nut and I don't endorse her views, but everything she says is absolutely 100% true") or actually contrary to the point he's making. Sooner or later you learn not to bother, he's just throwing them at you like caltrops in the hope they'll slow you down and waste your time.
    Rather than bother answering this, WildBerry, please be aware that I'm doing this from work and am supposed to be performing far more constructive and important duties with my time. So no, I'm not big on providing rock-solid intellectual arguments on what is, after all, a forum devoted to not mentioning an obsolete computer game.




  8. #68
    IncGamers Member jmervyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    12,936

    Re: More Islamic Fundamentalist Fun!

    Might as well necro this one; it's been a while.

    As Jim Treacher likes to put it, "Not All Muslims murder a man with machetes in the middle of a London street"

    as well as "Not All Muslims shoot, behead two Coptic Christians in New Jersey"

    But hey, let's just keep saying how wise we in the West are for the vibrant doctrine of multiculturalism. After all, the police spokesperson said of the rioters in Stockholm after the fourth day of such shenanigans, "My colleagues say the people on the streets are a mixture of every kind of people you can think of,"

    P.S. RIP "Riggers". You were better than many you serve.



    I wonder if WildBerry ever got his connection problems fixed?
    Last edited by jmervyn; 23-05-2013 at 19:11.

  9. #69

  10. #70
    IncGamers Member jmervyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    12,936

    Re: More Islamic Fundamentalist Fun!

    Because of course, petty vandalism (a smoke grenade) and talking smack while carrying a knife outside a mosque is exactly the same as trying to behead someone in the street.

    I mean, do you have any idea how bad the threat against Muslims is?
    Two men arrested over ‘offensive Twitter comments about British soldier’s death’

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •