Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Re: Running Two Copies of D2 on one computer

Still a bit confused. Does my computer has to be able to accept 2 copies of D2 at the same time in order for this to work? Also I cannot really find the folder for first installation. Is it ok to change folder name via right click then "Properties?" I am afraid things might get messed up if I change folder name that way. Also if I have a character in a game using first disc, do i have to take out first disc, insert 2nd disc and switch computer user account to get second character in the same game since my computer can only accept one disc at a time?

IncGamers Member

Used search to find what i think is the right folder.Then I right clicked then clicked on "Properties." To the right of "Target" it says "C:\Program Files\Diablo II\Diablo II.exe". Do I just change "C:\Program Files\Diablo II\Diablo II.exe" to "C:\Program Files\Diablo 2\Diablo II.exe" or do I have to change "C:\Program Files\Diablo II\Diablo II.exe" to "C:\Program Files\Diablo 2\Diablo 2.exe"?
    Last edited by Xlx; 25-01-2013 at 23:05.

IncGamers Member

Tried to change folder name from "II" to "2" via right click and "Properties," but when I hit Apply it says "The name 'C:\Program Files\Diablo 2\Diabl II.exe' specified in the Target box is not valid. Make sure the path and file name are correct."

IncGamers Member

I already have LoD installed but I am having hard time finding the folder and changing its name, and when I tried to install 2nd disc it just says "Play Diablo." And when I install 2nd disc, do i have to log off 1st user and log on to 2nd user then install 2nd disc?

IncGamers Member

Ok well found the folder and changed its name and installed 2nd copy of D2 and 2nd copy of LoD, put in the first Lod Disc, made a game, alt+tab out, switched to 2nd computer user, took out 1st LoD disc and inserted 2nd Lod disc, but it still says only one user can use one disc at a time yada yada yada when I clicked on multiplayer.
    Last edited by Xlx; 25-01-2013 at 20:55.

You need the keychanger found in the SP forum.

IncGamers Member

Hi,

Considering that I can now play two games in different user profiles, can I host a local LAN game in one Profile then Join the said game in another profile? Basically not a battlenet game but a LAN game in my own laptop / computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Xlx View Post
    Ok well found the folder and changed its name and installed 2nd copy of D2 and 2nd copy of LoD, put in the first Lod Disc, made a game, alt+tab out, switched to 2nd computer user, took out 1st LoD disc and inserted 2nd Lod disc, but it still says only one user can use one disc at a time yada yada yada when I clicked on multiplayer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archone View Post
    You need the keychanger found in the SP forum.
    No you don't need a keychanger, neither do you have to use different CDs. What you need to do is make sure you do not use the same D2 shortcut to run both instances. Basically you have to open the folder for one of the D2 installations, and create a shortcut of the .exe file used for starting D2, then rename that shortcut. Next navigate to the second folder where D2 is installed, and create a shortcut from the .exe file in that folder.

It doesn't matter which CDs or CD-keys have been used when installing the game. As long as you try to run D2 from the same .exe file (or shortcut), you will get an error stating the game can only run 1 instance one the same machine.
    Edit: of course you cannot log on to battle.net if the same CD-key has been used for both installations, which is why you use two different ones. Just wanted to point out that that wasn't the source of the error code you see.

Quote Originally Posted by cjcliffcaintic View Post
    Hi,

Considering that I can now play two games in different user profiles, can I host a local LAN game in one Profile then Join the said game in another profile? Basically not a battlenet game but a LAN game in my own laptop / computer.
    I would assume yes, but never tried it myself, so I don't know.
    Unofficial Incgamers Clan - The Red One

Quote Originally Posted by kestegs View Post
    so is Bieber pointless or just women in general?

IncGamers Member

OK first time I have ever reached out on a forum for help so please bare with me.

I have two working installations of D2 on a single pc running windows vista. They both have there own cd keys and are able to get on battlenet just fine. So i cant speed swap profiles like ive read for xp and i dont want to. Both can play at the same time no problem.

MY ISSUE: I no longer play regular Bnet, but I like running around in tcp /ip games or open battlenet with my offline characters. Thus my problem both instances of D2 are using the same save file. My goal is to have one copy for mules and one to play, but I keep showing the same characters on both games. Please help me figure out a workaround for this its driving me nuts. Ive tried hidding the save files in other folders renaming it nothing has worked. Renaming it just made the game create a new save file on its own. I am not sure how to direct the game at a certain save file, and i have no idea how there finding the other save file when its in a different directory and a different hard drive altogether.

Thanks for any help given in advance.

BattleTag eugene-2504

so you want one instance of game to check lets say "c:\diablo2-1\save" while other instance to see "c:\diablo2-2\save" ? if so i dont think it is possible. save folder is stored in windows registry and both instances will take the same value, so point to one folder only.

you will need to have some means of running another operating system (virtualbox for example, run winxp in vista)

OR

some registry editing stuff each time you start one of the instances.

i dont remember the full path on windows registry but if you know registry structure you can find it easily (or wait for someone else point it out)