Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Drosselmeier
    Hey, at least you're man enough to acknowledge that.
    What, that I'm a macho man? I'm being facetious, y'know. I may look like one and have manly-man skillz and history, but I'm hardly the stereotypcial jock. Like I'd be here if I were... :rolleyes: and no, none of that 'Brokeback' or Marlboro stuff, ta very much.

As to the psychological view, I'm pretty sure that it's Freudian and well supported. Although I imagine that models groping each other for PETA vs. Rosie O'Donnell is pretty much a no-brainer, regardless of any sexual preference.

IncGamers Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmervyn
    As to the psychological view, I'm pretty sure that it's Freudian and well supported.
    I actually thought that anything Freudian wasn't supported but more shown as how NOT to go about doing psychological analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by myleftfoot
    I actually thought that anything Freudian wasn't supported but more shown as how NOT to go about doing psychological analysis.
    Ya got me there... and since it is likely not worksafe for me to search such things, I'll leave it to y'all until I get home. :hide:

IncGamers Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    Freud trained as a medical doctor, and as such, he believed his research methods and conclusions were scientific. However, his research and practice were condemned by many of his peers, as well as later psychologists and academics. Some, like Juliet Mitchell or, have suggested that this is because his basic claim, that many of our conscious thoughts and actions are motivated by unconscious fears and desires, implicitly challenges universal and objective claims about the world (some proponents of science conclude that this invalidates Freudian theory as a means of interpreting and explaining human behavior. Psychoanalysis today maintains the same ambivalent relationship with medicine and academia that Freud experienced during his life.

Current psychotherapists, who seek to treat mental illness, relate to Freudian psychoanalysis in different ways. Some psychotherapists have modified this approach and have developed a variety of "psychodynamic" models and therapies. Other therapists reject Freud's model of the mind, but have adapted elements of his therapeutic method, especially his reliance on patients' talking as a form of therapy. Experimental psychologists generally reject Freud's methods and theories. Psychiatrists train as medical doctors, butólike most medical doctors in Freud's timeómost reject his theory of the mind, and generally rely more on psychoactive drugs than talk in their treatments.

Freud's psychological theories are hotly disputed today and many leading academic and research psychiatrists regard him as a charlatan, but there are also many leading academic and research psychiatrists who agree with the core of his work. Psychiatric disorders are often considered purely diseases of the brain, the etiology of which is principally genetic. This view emphasizes constitutional factors in mental illness. Freud believed that the vast majority of disorders result from a combination of constitutional and environmental factors, the relative importance of each varying from one person to another.
    I suppose it's a bit of both worlds. It's a very grey area which I really haven't a clue about.

Freud was a sadistic lunatic, IMHO. Read up on his actual "experiments" and "treatments" and you'll see what I mean.
    Jude

IncGamers Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmervyn
    Macho heteros (such as myself :grin: ) appreciate les behaviour only insofar as it involves being 'man enough' to 'dominate' more than one woman. When faced by actual lesbians, macho-men recoil in fear and hate because it implies that they aren't 'man enough' - the exact opposite of the media-supported fantasy.
    I have read quite a few posts (not here) where some braggart says "Give me one night with these girls and I'll turn them straight," implying that his incredible masculinity and sexual prowess would cause them to desire all men. However, given that most of these women don't like having sex with men in the first place, they'd be at best resentful of the intrusion and at worse, be forced to have sex with someone, which has a special name that the word filter censors. I don't know of one instance in which repeated sexual assault would make someone like you, but I could be wrong.

Jude: Freud was also one of the first people to recognize that mental illnesses had a biological basis and the first, I believe, to try talk therapy. THough his theories were crap, his intents were not.

IncGamers Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anyee
    I have read quite a few posts (not here) where some braggart says "Give me one night with these girls and I'll turn them straight," implying that his incredible masculinity and sexual prowess would cause them to desire all men. However, given that most of these women don't like having sex with men in the first place, they'd be at best resentful of the intrusion and at worse, be forced to have sex with someone, which has a special name that the word filter censors. I don't know of one instance in which repeated sexual assault would make someone like you, but I could be wrong.
    This is an example of when people take this machoism way too literal. It's generally meant to be taken as a joke unless you're looking to be offended.

Once again, it's not funny to the person being subjected to the "macho" idiots' attention (or the braggarts' threats).

Jude

Quote Originally Posted by Jude
    Freud was a sadistic lunatic, IMHO. Read up on his actual "experiments" and "treatments" and you'll see what I mean.
    Jude
    Was he as bad as B.F. Skinner? That man should have been shown a nice jacket with wraparound sleeves...

Quote Originally Posted by Anyee
    I have read quite a few posts (not here) where some braggart says "Give me one night with these girls and I'll turn them straight," implying that his incredible masculinity and sexual prowess would cause them to desire all men.
    Sounds like common locker-room trash-talk. Using those who I've heard make comments like that as the example, I'd warrant that most of that group are extraordinarily insecure and are concerned that they are borderline homosexual (I believe it is Larry the Cable Guy who has a great joke in that regard).

One caveat though - I also take with a grain of salt anyone who complains about inoffensive attention from a particular sex. People generally like being noticed/appreciated, even if the concept of actual sex with an individual gives them the willies. Furthermore there is a definite "forbidden fruit" psychological angle that must be taken into account, particularly in American society. I cite as evidence any number of foul sorority girls who treated me like sewer scum initially, only to fall over themselves trying to hook up with me once I was wearing a ring.