Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728 LastLast
    BattleTag What Me Worry?

Re: Bush authorized NSA to spy on Americans -- seditious Quakers walk amongst us??

Re: Bush authorized NSA to spy on Americans -- seditious Quakers walk amongst us??

Quote Originally Posted by BobCox2 View Post
    Yeah, they're actually wrong about the claim of a hidden or missing slide, but no harm no foul. Who can keep track anymore, amirite? They probably just assume that anyone who's ANYONE only reads the WaPo and no other n00z source...

BattleTag What Me Worry?

Quote Originally Posted by jmervyn View Post
    Yeah, they're actually wrong about the claim of a hidden or missing slide, but no harm no foul. Who can keep track anymore, amirite? They probably just assume that anyone who's ANYONE only reads the WaPo and no other n00z source...
    Fairview and BLARNEY exist I'm afraid .

Fairview and BLARNEY exist I'm afraid .
    I meant the WaPo is myopic; read the link I provided. I'd warrant that both those programs were running prior to the Bush administration.

I remember back in Reagan's day that there was a SpecOps submarine, designed for surreptitious insertion of SEAL teams and the like. One of the operational capabilities that was mentioned was access to undersea cables...

BattleTag What Me Worry?

Quote Originally Posted by jmervyn View Post
    I meant the WaPo is myopic; read the link I provided. I'd warrant that both those programs were running prior to the Bush administration.

I remember back in Reagan's day that there was a SpecOps submarine, designed for surreptitious insertion of SEAL teams and the like. One of the operational capabilities that was mentioned was access to undersea cables...
    I have no doubt whatsoever that this is the case. The thing with these, lets say "cloak and dagger" government programs, is that by the time you find out about them, they've already been in full swing for at least twenty or thirty years or more. Would not surprise me at all if they've been trying to monitor the internet since Al Gore invented it.

Remember Carnivore? That was just the FBI using a packet sniffer. One that they got to replace an earlier program, which itself was to replace an earlier program that they got used from the NAVY.

BattleTag What Me Worry?

Bradley Manning: US must drop “aiding the enemy” charge

The U.S. government should immediately drop the most serious charges against Pvt. Bradley Manning, Amnesty International said today after the conclusion of all testimony in the case.

“We’ve now seen the evidence presented by both sides, and it’s abundantly clear that the charge of ‘aiding the enemy’ has no basis. The government should withdraw that charge,” said Widney Brown senior director for international law and policy at Amnesty International.
    Manning’s lawyers asked the judge to dismiss these and other charges in a motion filed over the weekend.
    “The prosecution should also take a long, hard look at its entire case and move to drop all other charges that aren’t supported by the evidence presented,” said Widney Brown.

Last week, prosecutors withdrew a charge that Manning had leaked intelligence to a “classified enemy”.

To prove the charge that Manning has “aided the enemy,” the U.S. government has to establish that he gave potentially damaging intelligence information to an enemy, and that he did so knowingly, with what presiding judge Col. Denise Lind called “a general evil intent”.

The prosecution has struggled throughout the trial to make a convincing case for this charge. Its own witnesses repeatedly told the court that they found no evidence that Manning was sympathetic towards al Qaeda or other terrorist groups, that he had never expressed disloyalty to his country, that they had no evidence that he had ties to any government other than his own, and that they had no reason to believe he had ever collected money for the information he disclosed.
    Instead, government witnesses testified, for example, that Manning was involved in the lesbian, ***, bisexual, and transgender community and is on “on the extreme Democratic side” in political terms.
    “The government’s case for ‘aiding the enemy’ is ludicrous, and that’s not surprising,” said Widney Brown. “What’s surprising is that the prosecutors in this case, who have a duty to act in the interest of justice, have pushed a theory that making information available on the internet -- whether through Wikileaks, in a personal blog posting, or on the website of The New York Times -- can amount to ‘aiding the enemy.’”

Frankly, I don't care much about his politics or much about him at all. All this focus on the whistle blowers and not on what they released is a distraction.

The U.S. government should immediately drop the most serious charges against Pvt. Bradley Manning, Amnesty International said today after the conclusion of all testimony in the case.
    The straws, you grasp at them so!

Quote Originally Posted by HotAir
    Did you catch that? If the government hadn’t complained about WikiLeaks, then al-Qaida never would have found out about it. Never mind that Assange was blasting news of the existence of this information across the international press 24/7 and the media was eating it up with a spoon. Surely that could never have enticed the terrorists to give it a look , eh?

BattleTag What Me Worry?

Michael Hastings Cremated, Unauthorized by Family.