Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

System component compatability question

I'm looking to upgrade my video card from a Radion 7000 (64mb mem - garbage I know) to a Radeon 9600XT (128 or 256 - I dunno which).

My question is will it be compatable with my motherboard, an ASUS A7N8X, and CPU, an Athlon 1800+ (1.5G)?

What sort of video slot do you have? AGP or PCIExpress? As long as you get the correct card to fit into the slot you have available, it should have no problem being compatible with an ASUS motherboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaboosh
    What sort of video slot do you have? AGP or PCIExpress? As long as you get the correct card to fit into the slot you have available, it should have no problem being compatible with an ASUS motherboard.
    1x AGP, 5x PCI. My 7000 is in the AGP right now. I just don't want the technology on the Vcard to be too far advanced for my motherboard. I dunno how out of date it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Anakha1
    1x AGP, 5x PCI. My 7000 is in the AGP right now. I just don't want the technology on the Vcard to be too far advanced for my motherboard. I dunno how out of date it is.

I mean, the 1800 may be a bottleneck for the card, (even that is not much of a concern) but the video cards are pretty much made to be compatible with most motherboards, especially ones as mainstream as ASUS, as long as the ports are correct. Just be sure to buy an AGP card and you should be fine.

How much are you lookin to spend? You can get a 256 MB X700 for 200 (mine was 100 after rebates on Black Friday, but must wait until Christmas to actually 'get' it).

I have a 9600 SE right now and I like it, but I couldnt pass up the deal. As long as your Asus and you got 8x AGP you should be in good shape. Judging by your not brand new specs, make sure your power supply is strong enough for the card, I'm sure it is though, but just in case.

I have a 9600XT in this system. It's served me fine.

Make sure you have an AGPx8 slot. If your board is old it may only be AGPx4 or AGPx2.

Yup, pretty sure I've got an 8. Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by PatMaGroin
    I have a 9600 SE right now and I like it
    Really? I can no longer stand my 9600SE. It sucks for any new games. Luckily Im upgrading in a few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnar_ii
    Really? I can no longer stand my 9600SE. It sucks for any new games. Luckily Im upgrading in a few hours.
    It plays COD and Half Life 2 just fine, but I too am upgrading. But my 9600 was definitely servicable. It didnt like Doom 3, but neither did I, so no problem.

Banned
    Does this mean you're going to be getting WoW shortly and joining us?