Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Cold Mastery?

Is cold mastery worth investing in? Currently have a lvl36 Blizz sorc. I have lvl10 warmth, lvl5 static, 13 in blizzard and 6 in glacial spike. I plan on maxing blizz,glacial,and iceblast first. then another 5-10 in static. and the rest in icebolts, or cold master if it's worth it, since 5% isnt much from synergies..lemme know.

IncGamers Member
    Yes it's important. I would suggest getting at least one point before maxing a synergy. Then get it at level 17 after +skills, and only after that pump the second synergy. If PvM of course. For PvP it must be maxed out.
    May I ask why 10 points in Warmth? If Blizzard is going to be your main skill I don't see why you would need that much. Unless you plan to teleport alot.

IncGamers Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noite Escura
    Yes it's important. I would suggest getting at least one point before maxing a synergy. Then get it at level 17 after +skills, and only after that pump the second synergy. If PvM of course. For PvP it must be maxed out.
    May I ask why 10 points in Warmth? If Blizzard is going to be your main skill I don't see why you would need that much. Unless you plan to teleport alot.
    Why do you say level 17? Is there some kind of cutoff there I should know about which means extra points in it are less effective? I'm building an Orb/TS sorc and I maxed orb and cold mastery, and currently working on thunderstorm and lightning mastery. I wasn't even planning on putting points into ice bolt as it only provides a measily 2% damage per level for orb - atleast not until I get into the high 80's and don't have any other place to put the points.

IncGamers Member
    Oh crap..thinking about it now, it was a waste in warmth lol..damn haha..guess I'll have to rebuild..again

IncGamers Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stanzaman
    Why do you say level 17? Is there some kind of cutoff there I should know about which means extra points in it are less effective?
    At lvl 17, cold mastery gives -100% to monster's cold resistence. Monsters can have no lower than -100% cold resistence (giving double listed damage) so additional points in cold mastery beyond 17 don't increase the damage to monsters with a base 0 cold resistence. Additional points do help with monsters that have higher cold resistence, particularly Meph. The point is made very well by sasja, quoted in this CL/FO sorc dii.net strategy guide amoung other places:

http://strategy.diabloii.net/news.php?id=562

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sasja
    Why Frozen Orb and Cold Mastery?
    1.10 has made the Sorceress' skill points incredibly tight by introducing synergies. Each tree has at least one attack with 3 synergies, which - if maxed - will get the damage of that attack to incredible heights. But maxing this attack to the full will cost you 20 skill points in the attack itself, 3*20 skill points in synergies, and another 20 points in the relevant mastery, so this requires 100 skill points out of 110 being ultimately available at level 99 - a level most of us will never reach! Having a cold spell which slows the fast monsters i Hell is invaluable, and Frozen Orb is a bargain. It only has one synergy, which is not powerful enough to really be necessary, kicks *** all the way through Nightmare, and does decent damage in Hell. Furthermore, the unique function of Cold Mastery makes a few points go a long way. Each skill point in Cold Mastery will increase the percentage which will be subtracted from your opponent's cold resistance before calculating the damage, down to a minimum of -100%. Only cold immune monsters cannot be affected by Cold Mastery. Let's run a few examples to see how useful this really is. I'll compare skill level 0, 1 (giving -30% to the monster's cold resistance), 7 (giving -50%), 17 (giving -100%) and 27 (giving -150%) in Cold Mastery, assuming an average of 265 damage pr shard for Frozen Orb.

Monster with 0 in cold resistance:
    Cold Mastery 0 (0%): 265 * (100 + 0)/100 = 265
    Cold Mastery 1 (20%): 265 * (100 + 20)/100 = 318 (improvement of 20% - not surprisingly)
    Cold Mastery 7 (50%): 265 * (100 + 50)/100 = 398 (improvement of 50%)
    Cold Mastery 17 (100%): 265 * (100 + 100)/100 = 530 (improvement of 100%)
    Cold Mastery 27 (150%): 265 * (100 + 100)/100 = 530 (improvement of 100% - remember that -100% is the lower cap)

Monster with 75 in cold resistance (for instance Mephisto):
    Cold Mastery 0 (0%): 265 * (100 - 75 + 0)/100 = 66
    Cold Mastery 1 (20%): 265 * (100 - 75 + 20)/100 = 146 (improvement of about 120%)
    Cold Mastery 7 (50%): 265 * (100 - 75 + 50)/100 = 199 (improvement of about 200%)
    Cold Mastery 17 (100%): 265 * (100 - 75 + 100)/100 = 331 (improvement of about 400%)
    Cold Mastery 27 (150%): 265 * (100 - 75 + 150)/100 = 464 (improvement of about 600%)

IncGamers Member
    Exactly! As majority of monsters or are Immune or have 0 cold resistance, beyond lvl 17 will be effective at most against bosses. The 3 points your invested to lvl 20 are not exactly a waste, in the example above, you would get 371 dmg for level 20, 12% more than lvl 17 against Mephisto, but if you invested them in synergy you would get 6% (2 for each point) more damage i.e. Its a question on whether to get 12 avg more against some monsters(mostly bosses) or get 6% more against all of them.
    In short, if you plan to do a Pure cold sorc for MF, it may be worth maxing cold mastery, as it is for PvP, since players use to have max resistances. Otherwise lvl 17 and rest in synergy.

Edit: It's important to notice that if you have +5 to all skills, 12 points in CM would be enough and in the example above, would leave 8 points to invest in synergy making it even more worthwhile.

IncGamers Member
    i think this should be stickied, really useful information.

IncGamers Member
    Hmm interesting, now I feel like just making a orber..so..Max Orb/synergy and mastery? Rest in..static/warmth and teleport?

IncGamers Member
    static to me is a one-point-wonder, teleport too. i'd put more points into warmth over the two. and when going frozen orb build, i would allocate my points this way, twenty points into frozen orb, twenty ice bolt (synergy), seventeen cold mastery (including + to skills items), one point into frozen armor, one point warmth, one point static, one point teleport, one point energy shield, remaining points into telekenesis for energy shield syngery (reduces mana taken from hit)

D3 Amazon &
    Demon Hunter Moderator
    BattleTag Dacar92-1368
    Stickied for a while.

Rose: You're an alien? You sound like you're from the North.
    Doctor: LOTS of planets have a North!!!