Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    He has a wealthy lawyer dad. In other words, by hard work and participating in the American Dream. (by his dad, at least)

IncGamers Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bortaz
    He has a wealthy lawyer dad. In other words, by hard work and participating in the American Dream. (by his dad, at least)
    Better than how I made it.

Student loans, scholarships (but lost in my 2L), and work-study.

IncGamers Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyboy
    Better than how I made it.

Student loans, scholarships (but lost in my 2L), and work-study.
    thats my point -- many many many many people go through this same route to get a college education

yet, only the priveledged seem to have a problem with it

BTW garbad, wheres your answer?

IncGamers Member Garbad_the_Weak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bortaz
    He has a wealthy lawyer dad.
    I do have a wealthy dad, but he hasn't given me any money since I was 18, with the exception of buying me a car as a graduation present. My mom occasionally sends me ~$50 or so also.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerf-Herder
    how did you pay for college? law school?
    Undergrad - Scholarships and job. First I worked in construction and later I got a professional job and worked full time as I went to school. Never took out a student loan and I went to a private school so I wasn't subsidized. After graduation, worked full time for three more years and saved most of my paycheck each month planning for law school.

Law - full scholarship, savings, and working for the DOJ. Still haven't taken out a loan, but I won't lie - money is tight. Each month I spend more than I earn and depending on my 3rd year costs, particularly in interviewing, I might break down and have to take a loan out before I graduate. I simply underestimated living costs in this damn city. That and my "full" scholarship didn't cover the tuition increase this year so I still have to pay a fairly stiff tuition bill. They tell me the firm that is paying for me may reimburse me some day, but I am not holding my breath.

So yeah, I pay in more than I get out. I read an article a while back saying a single male earning more than ~45k pays more in taxes than he gets out. I have been over that mark since my junior year as an undergrad.

We don't want your money Garb.
    Kindly inform your senator of this please. Subsidizing your children is costing me a good bit :(

Garbad

Quote Originally Posted by jmervyn
    NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!
    Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise.... I'll come in again.
    Ni!

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Conservative Inc
    Do you think that after mooning Pres. Clinton in person I'm worried about Carnivore?
    I wouldn't moon Clinton if I were you, he's pretty handy with a cigar.

IncGamers Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbad_the_Weak

Kindly inform your senator of this please. Subsidizing your children is costing me a good bit :(

Garbad
    I just sent him an email. And he wrote back stating for you not to worry. None of your share is going into subsidies.

There was nothing left in your accumulated-adjustment account after your entire share was used to help pay Haliburton feed our troops.

By the way, Haliburton apologized for the double-billing. They said that as a professional, you should understand how common it is to double-bill.

IncGamers Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbad_the_Weak

Law - full scholarship, savings, and working for the DOJ. Still haven't taken out a loan, but I won't lie - money is tight. Each month I spend more than I earn and depending on my 3rd year costs, particularly in interviewing, I might break down and have to take a loan out before I graduate. I simply underestimated living costs in this damn city. That and my "full" scholarship didn't cover the tuition increase this year so I still have to pay a fairly stiff tuition bill. They tell me the firm that is paying for me may reimburse me some day, but I am not holding my breath.

So yeah, I pay in more than I get out. I read an article a while back saying a single male earning more than ~45k pays more in taxes than he gets out. I have been over that mark since my junior year as an undergrad.

Garbad
    Wow, DOJ. Your class ranking must be great.

About the reimburstment. Ba ha ha ha ha ha. *rolllllinggg on the ground laughing* Did they also promise you'll not put in more than 60 hours per week?

However, only one more loan to go Garb. Something to pay for your Barbri review course. Good luck.

But not from the Gov. of course. Your student loan just got axed.

IncGamers Member Garbad_the_Weak's Avatar
    About the reimburstment. Ba ha ha ha ha ha. *rolllllinggg on the ground laughing*
    I know. The first tutition increase they increased my scholarship without me even asking (which shocked the hell out of me) but the second one they didn't. They have the money too - It is an extremely prestigious firm, one that I probably won't ever actually qualify to work for :lol:

Wow, DOJ. Did they also promise you'll not put in more than 60 hours per week?
    Heh, so you have heard about the DOJ on that crap, eh? Its pretty funny how they keep two sets of books. People say there is some commitee working to force them to stay within the statute tho. I will believe that when I see it.

Honestly tho, the hours don't bother me. I put in long days as an undergrad and professional and am used to it. I know it hurts people who go right from undergrad (omg?~?~? You studied 2 hours and worked 4 hours in the SAME DAY!?!?!?! OMFG, I bet you take early classes - at like 9 am and crap too~ lolz) but meh, I expected it.

However, only one more loan to go Garb. Something to pay for your Barbri review course. Good luck.
    Meh, I have been debating that. I mean come on, like 99.2% of grads from my school pass the damn bar. How hard can it be? I don't claim to be brilliant (at least not outside the OTF) but I figure I am at least not be in the bottom .8% of my class...

Stealth Edit:

>But not from the Gov. of course...
    I note on the tution statement they only charge me 1.5% interest per quarter if I don't pay. I figure if I can't pay my tutition 6% interest a year isn't bad

Garbad

IncGamers Member
    I'd be dead by now if I lived in America. I really find it hard to believe that a country can treat it's own people so badly. anyway I kill gloams now, too much political stuff here

Quote Originally Posted by Humphrey
    I'd be dead by now if I lived in America. I really find it hard to believe that a country can treat it's own people so badly. anyway I kill gloams now, too much political stuff here
    Not giving away as much free stuff as you'd like them to is bad treatment?